Hifiberry OS - did some one use it

Hifiberry OS - did some one use it

why we have another one - there are 6-12 OSSes for the berry and hifi.

New HiFiBerryOS release | HiFiBerry

New HiFiBerryOS release

A year ago we started to build our own distribution. Why? Because we missed something from existing distributions. HiFiBerryOS is designed to use minimal resources and configure your HiFiBerry sound card automatically. So, you only have to write the image to an SD card and boot from it. No configuration is needed! There is also no web interface. While you can login to the system via SSH, this isn’t needed. The services are active automatically and you can use these to stream music from your PC, mobile phone, Logitech media server or Spotify.

With the new release, we upgraded the software, but also completely changed the system design to make it more robust. This took us a lot longer than expected, but finally, the new version is here.

The following services are supported out-of-the-box:

Airplay 1
Bluetooth
Squeezelite
Spotify

Also included is an mpd instance. However, this isn’t used yet. We plan to use it in the future to provide a list of web radios.

HiFiBerryOS also includes our DSPToolkit. You can use it to program your HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP or Beocreate amplifier.

As the system is a custom build for specific hardware, it is only available for the Raspberry Pi 3 at the moment (A+, B, B+). However, we plan to release a version for the Pi4 and even the Pi Zero soon. We did a lot of testing, but there might still be small bugs. It would help us a lot to hear your feedback. Just have a look, test it and post your feedback in our forum.

I have never used that OS though I used almost all their products (except Beocreate). I have never had a problem configuring their DACs or Amps on the regular Raspbian OS as the driver(s) is a part of the core. The whole configuration process is just adding one line to the /boot/config.txt.

Installed it on RPi3B for several days.
Play all music with Spotify.
It works very very well!
It sounds very close to Archphile.

Tried volumio, archphile, moode, pcp,..., always with Spotify plugin and always went back to volumio: stability!

Hifiberry OS sounds as great as Archphile and is as stable as volumio. For me!

Waiting for next releases and more features!

HiFiBerryOS becomes more user-friendly | HiFiBerry

I also tried it - without a HifiBerry DAC. It worked but I needed to change the config manually in order to use my USB-DAC instead (needs some knowledge of Linux and audio devices in Linux). Works good with Spotify. The only odd thing is when it starts: it starts "talking" to you. It'll announce the IP-address via your speakers !! First time I did not understand what happened, but then I realized the IP-address was mentioned :)

Hi,

as mentioned in others posts, here is alternative to Archphile:

Collybia OS - Collybia

and the wifi issue:

We will include wireless mode in the next edition and we are working on it. If you need to enable it now, do the following:

Connect to SSH as root :

# iw dev (give the inteface name of wifi card i.e : wlan0)
# ip link set wlan0 up (make the interface running/enable)
# iw wlan0 scan (to scan networks, its important here to know the SSID, the security form WEP, WAP TKIP/AES...
# iw wlan0 set type managed (if connected to a box or internet router)

Then create a file to set the wifi connection working with wpa_supplicant

# nano /etc/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf

The content depends of the connection security.... here refers to the wiki
in my case the file must content :

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
ssid="ssid du point"
scan_ssid=1
psk="clé wpa"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
}

Save the file.
Now need to make it running on boot

#systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0.service

And finnaly make the dhcpcd running on boot to have a dhcp ip in the local network

#systemctl enable dhcpcd@wlan0.service

Finnaly reboot

The driver for hifiberry-digi must be inserted to /boot/config.txt file

For example:

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

Reboot and you will be fine!

Regards,

Emilios Ermidis

Collybia Team

@nicozero
as mentioned in others posts, here is alternative to Archphile:
Collybia OS - Collybia

Have it running on Pi3B+
No documentation to be found..?
No setting to select output and devices...?
No ssh username or password..?

Edit...experimenting found ssh username=root password=collybia
open /boot/config.txt and comment out the mamboberry i2s dac dtoverlay then reboot and usb output is auto-discoverd

Any links to the above appreciated..

Last edited:
@nicozero

Have it running on Pi3B+
No documentation to be found..?
No setting to select output and devices...?
No ssh username or password..?

Edit...experimenting found ssh username=root password=collybia
open /boot/config.txt and comment out the mamboberry i2s dac dtoverlay then reboot and usb output is auto-discoverd

Any links to the above appreciated..

I haven't tried it yet.
No documentation on image disk?
Send email to Collybia team, they answered me very quickly.

What about sound ? Did you compare it ?

And a new release for Hifiberry OS: version 20200127.

Collybia Os seems to combine Archphile & myMPD:

A long time ago, we had a thought… Give a user friendly audio program to the world that trusted us but also to anyone who wants to have a light and audiophile program.
The first hit was the Archphile by Tuxx, from which we took the foundation to build Collybia OS.
Archphile(discontinued) was an audiophile OS, which combined many packages together and gave the end user a functional, very stable, very lightweight and excellent sounding program.
But it lacked the aesthetic and user-friendly environment.

So here comes the “sun”

A client called myMPD from JCorporation which he constantly update it with new goodies…:)
So all we did was combine all the above. We did a little bit of coding just to give it a “tone” of user-friendliness and give it to you all.

So maybe Archphile manual could be usefull for setting collybia OS:
https://archphile.org/manual/archphile-manual.pdf

Hifiberry OS ?? would be interesting if it actually worked.....
3 new downloads, each burnt to 3 different microsd with etcher...
Pi3B+ and hifiberry digi+ pro.....

First try and the ethernet connection comes up...and down...and up...and down.... so no way to log in and configure...

second try and ethernet shows connected at router and switch but arpscan finds zilch...so no way to log in and configure...

third try and nothing... no ethernet recognised... no nothing...

Plug in Collybia sd and powers up fine...plug in MoOde sd and powers up fine....

steaming pile of dung....

Ha, seems their o/s does not work with their hardware...lol
Eventually did as MSHAVS and configured for usb output and damn the torpedos..

Code:
# nano ~/.asoundrc

and set for usb card as found from aplay -l

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw           
    card 0
}

The os uses a version of ympd and lacks a lot of features....
Just run Collybia and compare the MyMpd version to see.

Last edited:
Pasted from hifiberry os github :

"I think, we found the problem. While it's not fully clear how it happens, I think, we have found a workaround that fixes it - at least here in the local test setup.

Try the development release from here:
https://hifiberry.com/dev/hifiberryos-pi3.zip
https://hifiberry.com/dev/hifiberryos-pi4.zip

You need a fresh installation as it changed some things that the updater can't handle today.

Please let us know if this fixes the problem."

Tested. Ok.

My Hifiberry is Raspbian with systemd removed or disabled and with mpg123, mplayer, streamripper and vlc installed. Operating system crashes or freezes do not tune well with my tastes.

Lately, I had to install a minimal window manager to access some internet streaming radios. Both mpg123 and mplayer fail to establish such a connection although a few months ago they worked. The reason is a free internet webserver ceased to offer free service for such radios.

My Hifiberry is Raspbian with systemd removed or disabled and with mpg123, mplayer, streamripper and vlc installed. Operating system crashes or freezes do not tune well with my tastes.

Lately, I had to install a minimal window manager to access some internet streaming radios. Both mpg123 and mplayer fail to establish such a connection although a few months ago they worked. The reason is a free internet webserver ceased to offer free service for such radios.

Hi edbarx! And sorry, what did you mean in your post? I didn't understand everything... (and I do not speak english as well as I would like!)

Once this new release installed, Hifiberry OS shows 20200403 version.
I use it wtih Spotify and BubbleUPnP (and a Digi+ card).
It works very fine. For me...