Hifiberry OS - did some one use it

@hopkins

today I tried to install the Hifiberry OS, but I don't have my Pi-3b at home at the moment (only a Pi-1B - there is no image for this old type of Pi). But I think I know what I did to get my USB-DAC to work as only device. I had a look at the config and below I'll explain what I think you can do:

- first, depending on your knowledge of linux, you should have a look at the first filesystem (that's /dev/mmcblk0p1). I think it may be mounted already, but if it is not then mount this filesystem (e.g. on /mnt) and go the mountpoint
- if you want to use Windows, take the SD-card out of your Pi and put it in a Windows-PC. usually the first partition will be mounted automatically (it's a FAT-filesystem). Go to the filesystem

- then, in both cases, edit the file config.txt, this is -partially- the contents:
kernel=zImage

# To use an external initramfs file
#initramfs rootfs.cpio.gz

# Disable overscan assuming the display supports displaying the full resolution
# If the text shown on the screen disappears off the edge, comment this out
disable_overscan=1

# How much memory in MB to assign to the GPU on Pi models having
# 256, 512 or 1024 MB total memory
gpu_mem_256=100
gpu_mem_512=100
gpu_mem_1024=100
# Enable I2C and SPI
dtparam=i2c=on
dtparam=spi=on
# Workaround force_eeprom_read
force_eeprom_read=0

# fixes rpi (3B, 3B+, 3A+, 4B and Zero W) ttyAMA0 serial console
dtoverlay=miniuart-bt

- change the lines dtparam as follows (this will disable the usage of the driver for e.g. HiFiBerry-HAT):
#dtparam=i2c=on
#dtparam=spi=on
- add the following line (this will disable the analog audio of the Pi itself):
dtparam=audio=off

- save the file (and unmount the filesystem in linux) and reboot or put the card in your Pi (before boot connect and/or turn on your DAC if not done)
now you should have only one audio device. In linux check with "aplay -l" if you see your DAC. This is then device "hw:0,0" you can specify in /etc/asound.conf. After a reboot you should get the DAC again as first (and only) device.

About your remark "HifiBerry OS is not designed to be used with a USB Dac": this not true since the underlying OS is generic linux with some alterations made by HiFiberry. But it is still supporting other devices too but you need to make it work yourself.

I hope this will help you :)

Last edited:
Samba functionality

Hello Nicozero,
I wanted to give a try to Hifiberry OS (I am currently using MoOde).
But I am unable to make my samba share to work properly.
My setup : Freebox Revolution with a portable SSD attached (Samsung T5) and a raspberry Pi 4 with a Hifiberry hat connected with RJ45 to my network.
I have a username and a password to connect to the Freebox server.
With MoOde, I can add my music with no issue and update the library.
With Hifiberry OS, no matter what I do, I cannot add the disk using the UI.
I have to do it by modifying the file smbmounts.conf in the etc folder.
I see the mount but when I want to update the library, it fails.
Via SSH I was able to launch the update, it found the music, but it failed when i wanted to get data information.
Is there a way to make it work properly ?
Thanks in advance for any tip.
Kind regards,
Renaud

New release 20201022:

- added MPD queue management
- Linux kernel upgrade to 5.14
- MPD upgrade to 0.21.25
- Squeezelite upgrade to latest version
- Updated Buildroot to 2020-08
- Bugfix: Local UI not starting due to incorrect overlay files

For now, available only with built-in update manager.

Hi,

I suggest listing all HATs that are compatible with HifiBerry OS below.

We could start with those fully/directly compatible.
Indeed, many manufacturers use HBOS drivers for their cards, thus they are recognized as HB hardware.
For example, as Yatsushiro said it: “I used it successfully with an IQaudIO Digi+, which the OS thought was an HFB Digi.”

We could continue with boards requiring a little programming as described by MSHAVS in post #43.

So I invite all HAT owners to give HBOS a try and report the results to us in this thread (with some explanations for the programming part)

Thank you to all participants!

1/ fully-directly compatible:
- all HifiBerry cards
- IQaudIO Digi+ (recognised as HB digi)

2/ others (programming)