Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Linux USB-Audio Gadget (RPi4 OTG)
Linux USB-Audio Gadget (RPi4 OTG)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 07:00 AM   #11
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Since PA can resample for you, the gadget at its current status switched to adaptive mode should be OK for your project. Lucky you :-)
Old 16th September 2019, 10:20 AM   #12
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Since PA can resample for you, the gadget at its current status switched to adaptive mode should be OK for your project. Lucky you :-)
I don't quite understand how PA is going to improve the problems I encountered with a slightly different clock and sample rate on the Pi... After a couple of hours time, will there not be the same under/overrun problems?
Old 16th September 2019, 10:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The PA loopback module has a built-in adaptive resampler

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux + previous
Old 20th September 2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

This might be an interesting read for you:
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.c...oh%20story.pdf

It's the story about the design of the (D)PLL for the PCM270X usb adaptive DACs. The author design a fast-locking and then slowly adapting PLL for the chip...

As I said - might be interesting.
Old 20th September 2019, 06:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, very interesting reading. I do admire the PLL work in USB-adaptive chips. IMO the engineering and know-how behind top quality USB adaptive PLL are much more impressive than async setups which just report fill level of some short buffer back to the sender.

Fortunately in our case we do not have to worry about jitter since all is in the PC. The output clock is independent of the processing (be it soundcard clock in async or USB clock in adaptive). All what counts is the number of samples buffered within the chain must be stable, so that the buffers never hit their limits.
Old 13th December 2019, 04:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

With kind help of Minas Harutyunyan from Synopsys (authors of the USB host-gadget IP dwc2 in the Broadcom SoC) I am now running both directions/duplex 64kHz/32bit/32channels bitperfect and no xruns between RPi4 and my linux workstation. The gadget sends/receives 1024 bytes of data every USB highspeed frame 125us (8MB/s in each direction) which is USB audio v.2 maximum achievable rate (1024bytes max packet size for one isochronous endpoint).

RPi overall (4cores) load - idle 98%.

Minor changes in code, suboptimal device-tree config of dwc2.

First step - tick. Now avoiding the gadget alsa devices stall when the USB side is disconnected/idle.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
With kind help of Minas Harutyunyan from Synopsys (authors of the USB host-gadget IP dwc2 in the Broadcom SoC) I am now running both directions/duplex 64kHz/32bit/32channels bitperfect and no xruns between RPi4 and my linux workstation. The gadget sends/receives 1024 bytes of data every USB highspeed frame 125us (8MB/s in each direction) which is USB audio v.2 maximum achievable rate (1024bytes max packet size for one isochronous endpoint).

RPi overall (4cores) load - idle 98%.

Minor changes in code, suboptimal device-tree config of dwc2.

First step - tick. Now avoiding the gadget alsa devices stall when the USB side is disconnected/idle.
Nice work by everyone involved! This is really great news. I think the USB audio gadget has some real promise, once all of these kinks are ironed out of the code. This is on the Pi 4, correct? The Pi zero also has OTG but I do not think that is the "Pi" you are testing.

I see you mentioned 64k sample rate. [...I believe that is the default rate of the gadget. I never knew why that was... any ideas? Maybe Minas can provide an answer to that question...] Have you been able to try higher rates over fewer channels?
Old 13th December 2019, 10:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I used that samplerate/samplesize/channel count because that combination maxes out the USB2 limit on one isochronous endpoint (in each direction). The gadget does not care about the params, as long as the bitrate is within this limit. It could be e.g. 8.192MHz/8bits/1ch (if that samplerate number fits the usb config descriptor slot).

It's on Pi4. But all the Pis have the same OTG controller, IIUC.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:48 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Ah, I understand now.

But what about the 64kHz rate? That seems to be the default rate for the OTG audio gadget, however, that rate is not supported by any other audio device that I am aware of... it's usually a multiple of 44.1 or 48kHz. Do you think this rate came about because it is the rate that, when used at 32bits and with 32 channels will max out the throughput capability?

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 13th December 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I did not care about the default rate value in the driver, I always specified the params I needed. No idea why the authors used this rate as default. But certainly not because of that maximalization - the driver needs a few minor changes to max it out, and you can reach it with many other combinations, e.g. 512kHz/16bits/8channels.

The reason I needed to test the maximum bitrate was that there was a device tree misconfiguration which prevents larger packet sizes than approx. 900 bytes (out of the 1024 limit). I will push all the patches upstream, when they are ready.

Linux USB-Audio Gadget (RPi4 OTG)Hide this!Advertise here!