Power Supply Noise Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on that but its difficult to earth the Pi also the dac is non powered, USB only.

You don't need to "earth" the Pi (unless it's in a metal case, in which case it's a good idea to "earth" it by connecting minus (ground) power to the case).
You just need to tie the power ground of the Pi and the power ground of the amp to the same point.
As for DAC, see my crude illustration of how I connected my components in my project.
Granted, my system is a bit different, since everyting runs on 5V.

Attachments

• grounding.png
    grounding.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 187
Creating a star ground doesn't work in this case, the rpi and amplifier will still use the same wires for power ground and signal ground.

Here's a simple and cheap solution, a USB isolator: USB To USB Isolator Industrial Grade Digital Isolators With Shell 12Mbps Speed ADUM4160/ADUM316 USB Isolator Drop Ship-in USB Gadgets from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
That looks a good solution. Pi usb into isolator and run the DAC from the isolator. Have you tried this or is it theoretical. To me it should work. Has anyone any experience of this.

Exactly, the culprit is the ground loop. Fortunately your TPA3116 amp has balanced inputs, on some boards quite easily usable. It worked in my case very well Adding an Amp into Thin-Client PC
Brilliant phofman.
Got amp as you advised and did your mod and dead silent. So thanks for that.
Only problem, one capacitor cracked so I need to replace it Is it tantalum and does it need to be 63v if I am running on 12v.
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.