Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Power Supply Noise Problem
Power Supply Noise Problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2019, 05:41 PM   #21
thyristor44 is offline thyristor44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_hr View Post
As I wrote some time ago in another forum ("Class D"):
"You should connect all ground lines together
I am working on that but its difficult to earth the Pi also the dac is non powered, USB only.
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:52 PM   #22
den_hr is offline den_hr  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyristor44 View Post
I am working on that but its difficult to earth the Pi also the dac is non powered, USB only.
You don't need to "earth" the Pi (unless it's in a metal case, in which case it's a good idea to "earth" it by connecting minus (ground) power to the case).
You just need to tie the power ground of the Pi and the power ground of the amp to the same point.
As for DAC, see my crude illustration of how I connected my components in my project.
Granted, my system is a bit different, since everyting runs on 5V.
Attached Images
File Type: png grounding.png (43.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:54 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I like the idea of your pcm5102 dac, seems a much better solution than my usb dac. I tried your star earth idea but no better. Will try again when I get a 12s dac. I will have to wait to get one from China as I have spent far too much already.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:13 AM   #24
bobo1on1 is offline bobo1on1  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Creating a star ground doesn't work in this case, the rpi and amplifier will still use the same wires for power ground and signal ground.

Here's a simple and cheap solution, a USB isolator: USB To USB Isolator Industrial Grade Digital Isolators With Shell 12Mbps Speed ADUM4160/ADUM316 USB Isolator Drop Ship-in USB Gadgets from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 25th August 2019, 03:28 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1on1 View Post
Creating a star ground doesn't work in this case, the rpi and amplifier will still use the same wires for power ground and signal ground.

Here's a simple and cheap solution, a USB isolator: USB To USB Isolator Industrial Grade Digital Isolators With Shell 12Mbps Speed ADUM4160/ADUM316 USB Isolator Drop Ship-in USB Gadgets from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
That looks a good solution. Pi usb into isolator and run the DAC from the isolator. Have you tried this or is it theoretical. To me it should work. Has anyone any experience of this.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:38 PM   #26
bobo1on1 is offline bobo1on1  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have used a usb DAC on a PI with such an isolator, the multimeter showed that it provides isolation, but I did not test if it avoided any ground loops.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:57 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1on1 View Post
I have used a usb DAC on a PI with such an isolator, the multimeter showed that it provides isolation, but I did not test if it avoided any ground loops.
Thanks bobo1on1 I will try one.
Old 31st August 2019, 10:13 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Exactly, the culprit is the ground loop. Fortunately your TPA3116 amp has balanced inputs, on some boards quite easily usable. It worked in my case very well Adding an Amp into Thin-Client PC
Brilliant phofman.
Got amp as you advised and did your mod and dead silent. So thanks for that.
Only problem, one capacitor cracked so I need to replace it Is it tantalum and does it need to be 63v if I am running on 12v.
Thanks.
Old 31st August 2019, 11:17 AM   #29
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Very well, congrats.

As of the broken cap - if it works, I would just fixate it with hot glue. If not, any 1uf >12V cap should do, it just transfers common-mode ground noise to be subtracted by the amp's differential input.

Power Supply Noise ProblemHide this!Advertise here!