Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Streaming music server sound quality compared?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
thyristor44 is offline thyristor44
diyAudio Member

Default Streaming music server sound quality compared?

Hello
Has anyone done any tests on sound quality from music servers like Daphile, Moode, Volumino, Archpile and piCorePlayer as this would be a great help to me.
I would be using a pi 3 B+ and a MDac or a dual core 1.3ghz 2gb ram pc. and MDac for Daphile.
Any help appreciated.
thyristor44
Old 9th August 2019, 07:46 PM   #2
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

So.... you have the hardware....and access to those Distros....and a pair of ears....so why not compare them yourself and report your preferences....?

Not sure why you would want someone to do that for you ?
Old 10th August 2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most open source music servers use Linux as the underlying operating system using ALSA, pulse audio and other bits and pieces of the operating system to manipulate the audio stream.

That being the case all those music servers will provide the same sound quality. They only differ in the user interface and features. Just pick one to whatever you think meets your particular requirements.

Operating Systems don't have a sound quality.
Old 10th August 2019, 02:36 PM   #4
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
That being the case all those music servers will provide the same sound quality.

Not at all, given a decent downstream system. Audible differences are even more extreme than between PC software players.
Old 10th August 2019, 02:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nonsense, the operating system plays no part whatsoever in audio quality in anyway shape or form.

Last edited by Indiglo; 10th August 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
Nonsense, the operating system plays no part whatsoever in audio quality in anyway shape or form.
Assuming they all use a linux OS they still use different music player software don't they or are they all the same?
Old 10th August 2019, 03:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
So.... you have the hardware....and access to those Distros....and a pair of ears....so why not compare them yourself and report your preferences....?

Not sure why you would want someone to do that for you ?
Even doing an A-B test with only one DAC I find difficult as I have forgotten what A sounded like by the time I get B wired in. If I had two equal DACs and systems it would be easier. But that still would only be an AB test.
Lack of resources is a problem to me but not everyone.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, the music player is just a application that sits on top of the Linux operating system and all use the same system software processes, they provide a fancy user interface to display album art, track listings, graphic equaliser....etc...etc or include additional features like streaming to third party devices or from network attached storage. Not all the applications have the same features but they will all sound the same.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:24 PM   #9
byoungty is offline byoungty
diyAudio Member

I'm using piCorePlayer for the house only, I can say it's good, I'm not expert and I haven't encounter any problem so far. I'm not familiar on any stress test to show the differences as far as I know it's good to my ears.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:26 PM   #10
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
Banned

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Not at all, given a decent downstream system. Audible differences are even more extreme than between PC software players.
Do you have subjective sound quality findings on Windows PC software players, and which are good and which to avoid ?.

Dan.

Streaming music server sound quality compared?Hide this!Advertise here!