Best way to lay out multiple power supplies (Raspberry streamer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I am in the process of reconfiguring my RaspberryPi streamer, using the Dial-DAC, which requires a separate +/- 15V power supply.

I've got everything ready to go, the case is already made and the switch and all inputs including the power input are mounted.

Now I wonder how to best lay out all the parts inside the case... there is plenty of space (a standard 17" wide case, 14" deep), but I am not sure how to best prevent buzz, keep transformers/regulators separated etc.

Please take a look at the attached image, it should be self-explanatory, except maybe for the green board on the left—that's a PCB that holds a PCB-mount Triad transformer, and a fuse and voltage switch (intended for my earlier, 5V only power supply version of the streamer).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S.: If anyone would like to play around with the layout, I have uploaded an SVG file that has each component as a separate object here:
http://drtebi.com/dump/diyaudio/Layout-2b-Dial-DAC-upgrade.svg
(Can be opened with Inkscape or similar program)

Attachments

• Layout 2b (Dial-DAC upgrade).png
    Layout 2b (Dial-DAC upgrade).png
    776.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Hmmm... no answers. Maybe my question is to ambiguous?

Basically I just want to know things like....
- Short AC wires or short DC wires, which is preferable?
- Is it important to keep AC wires away from the RPi?
- Which way to orient the toroidal transformer?

etc.

Well, sometimes you're on your own and just have to trust your intuition.
So here attached a pic of the internals. I think it worked out quite well, mostly pretty short connections.

The Dial-DAC sounds quite nice, too!

Attachments

• dial-dac-setup.jpg
    dial-dac-setup.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.