Rpi + DAC: component arrangement help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening.
I am planning to put Raspberry Pi and Weiliang DAC 4399 into a 3d printed enclosure.
At the moment I am preparing cad file and thinking about a general arrangement of boards.
It has been a while since I have done anything similar hence is a cry for help.

Question 1:
Can I wire USB from raspberry pi to DAC input?
Question 2:
Can anyone suggest simple raspberry pi PSU so I can fit it inside an enclosure?

I will ask a few more questions as the project progresses, just these two to begin with.

P.S.. Green board is DAC, pink is RPI, spacers are for the transformer.

Most likely I will have to make an enclosure longer to fit everything.

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 164
  • amp image.jpg
    amp image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 163
My 2 cents. I would keep the transformer as far away from the DAC as possible. RPi will not be affected by its field, but your DAC output certainly will. Definitely no power lines (both primary and secondary) close to the DAC outputs. I would separate the DAC with internal walls, and tape the whole DAC compartment with layer of grounded copper tape (inexpensive from ebay). I have very good experience with shielding 3D-printed enclosures this way. The copper tape can shield any shape you design easily.

Short USB cables rpi -> XMOS are available from ebay. The I2S input header is placed quite inconveniently next to the output cinches, the XMOS board does not fit there. I2S must be kept as short as possible (non-balanced bus carrying master clock). I would place the XMOS board either on top of the DAC, with components downward, or beneath the DAC, with a thin floor between the DAC and the XMOS board, again covered with grounded copper tape on the side of the DAC. The USB side is not so critical, just do not let the USB signal propagate towards the DAC- hence the bottom shield.

It looks complicated, but you are designing your enclosure from scratch and have the luxury of not having to do any compromises. Every DAC shield will be visible in your device output spectrum measurements, especially if the enclosure houses also the mains transformer and the computer.

Thanks for answering.
A lot to think of.
Haven't decided on power supply yet, researching.
Will draw a diagram of connections based on post above and share.
O was thinking to remove rpi usb and dac usb sockets and put wires between. So you are saying I should opt for direct xmos intervention?
By the way I still can do separate enclosures for either one.
Have seen the most common dac and psu arrangement where transformer is sittin at the front near power connectors and dac with all inputs and switches at the back. Only power on is on a front panel. This is why I have added spacers in fron of the wall. Good idea of adding internal compartments, will do it today.

Screen for rpi will be added too

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.