Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

LMS 7.9.2 on FreeNAS 11.2 in iocage jail
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default LMS 7.9.2 on FreeNAS 11.2 in iocage jail

After much frustration and trials, but then given a walk through by a generous forum member, I now have Logitech Media Server installed in FreeNAS jail and playing through PiCorePlayer. One less big box, even though I do love Daphile.

Here is the link;
Logitech Media Server 7.9.2 install into FreeNAS 11.2 iocage jail (11.2) | iXsystems Community
Old 17th July 2019, 12:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Out of curiousity, has anyone else since done this?
Old 17th July 2019, 03:19 AM   #3
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

People seem to be loading LMS on a RPi connected to their network drives rather than loading LMS on their NAS. I think they are finding LMS support for RPi is more up-to-date than for NAS devices.
Old 17th July 2019, 11:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think they are finding LMS support for RPi is more up-to-date than for NAS devices.
What do you mean? Is RPi LMS a later version than 7.9.2?
Old 18th July 2019, 06:01 AM   #5
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

I don't use a NAS, but I have heard some of people that do, recommend using an RPi for LMS and the NAS just for the files. I guess it depends on the speed of your NAS and if LMS is still packaged for your particular NAS.
Old 18th July 2019, 06:10 AM   #6
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

That is why Tromperie used the general FreeNAS distribution, not some proprietary firmware long time abandoned by the NAS manufacturer.
Old 18th July 2019, 11:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

^^ Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
I don't use a NAS, but I have heard some of people that do, recommend using an RPi for LMS and the NAS just for the files. I guess it depends on the speed of your NAS and if LMS is still packaged for your particular NAS.
I have an HP Gen8 Microserver with 16G of RAM running FreeNAS 11.2 and have just upgraded the CPU from a Celeron to Xeon E3 1265L so it has plenty of grunt to handle not only LMS but ZoneMinder, an open source CCTV system with the use of a couple of IP cameras and a couple of other plugins without breaking into a sweat. It has 4 2TB discs in a ZFS mirror, giving 4TB of storage.

If you don't have a NAS, where do you store photos, music, correspondence, hobby files, and everything else you don't want to lose?
Old 19th July 2019, 06:04 AM   #8
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

I use HDD for storage. I don't need a NAS or RAID.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:07 AM   #9
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Reliable! I regularly have to restore peronal data for people that store tax data, photos of incredible holidays, photos of deceased beloveds etc. on harddisk. They also prefer single disks for some reason. Harddisks always fail but you never know when.

Last edited by jean-paul; 19th July 2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:44 PM   #10
Videopac is offline Videopac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I agree with Jean-Paul. Also, if you have a Synology NAS, please be informed that an alternative package is kept up to date by Pinkdot (see forums.slimdevices.com):

LmsUpdate download | SourceForge.net

BTW: I am still working on a Squeezebox Touch clone, based on Odroid C2/Soekris Dac/Hypex Ncore.
Current issues: jivelite for aarch64 and a trigger to start up the dac and power amps.

LMS 7.9.2 on FreeNAS 11.2 in iocage jailHide this!Advertise here!