Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

LMS 7.9.2 on FreeNAS 11.2 in iocage jail
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 10:29 PM   #11
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Reliable! I regularly have to restore peronal data for people that store tax data, photos of incredible holidays, photos of deceased beloveds etc. on harddisk. They also prefer single disks for some reason.
I do backups. Haven't lost any data ever.

Quote:
Harddisks always fail but you never know when.
Not in my experience. Most computers get thrown away with their original HDD.

Last edited by Greg Erskine; 19th July 2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:01 AM   #12
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do backups. Haven't lost any data ever.
Yep, many people say that until.....................................

Quote:
Not in my experience. Most computers get thrown away with their original HDD.
Yep, most but not all. HDDs are fairly reliable until they aren't.

FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD which has the ZFS file system. All files are checksummed and "scrubs' run periodically to ensure no files are corrupted or bit-rot has occurred. The latter is when a magnetic bit of a disc loses its state. This is a big problem with hardware RAID controllers and is finally being recognised as such.

If you want to gamble, good luck with that.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:01 AM   #13
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

I am not gambling. I have 3 HDD that are synced. I choose not to have my 2 additional HDD powered up unless doing the sync. If one HDD fails, I buy another one and resync. It's happened once.

I use GitLab, GitHub or sourceforge for programs, CAD or any text based data files.

I used to work in IT so I understand the basics. File server HDDs fail far more often than desktops for whatever reason. For business I always used RAID file servers because you can't afford to have hundreds of people doing nothing if one drive fails. At my home it does not matter if it takes me a couple of minutes changing HDDs every 10 years.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:58 AM   #14
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

If I were to choose between redundant raid and regular backups, I would always pick backups. Of course using both is better, but having a good backup is key. Raid is convenient for faster recovery/continuity.

I have been running non-check-summed raids for 20 years and have a hard time recalling any bit rot. IMO the main ZFS advantage is the great zfs send/receive capability for fast backups of large arrays, fast reliable snapshots, built-in performance features (LARC SSD caches etc.) and the general stability of the filesystem. But I have had no problem with XFS on HW as well as SW raid either. Yes I have lost files due to hard poweroff of loaded servers, but never was it due to a bit rot that I would know of.
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
File server HDDs fail far more often than desktops for whatever reason.
You don't think this is to do with being always on and having far more read/write operations per week, even per day, than the average home HDD drive sees in years?
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:52 AM   #16
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

Possibly. I didn't want to go into specifics cause there are too many variables.
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:56 AM   #17
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
If I were to choose between redundant raid and regular backups, I would always pick backups. Of course using both is better, but having a good backup is key. Raid is convenient for faster recovery/continuity..
With you there .... except used a new purchased WD drive and used it perhaps 4 times for full backup over 30 months only to have it fail....catastrophically unrecoverable and out of warranty....
Had perhaps 18 hours use from that drive....
Raid all the way from now on..... and no more WD
Old 25th July 2019, 12:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Drone7,
That is why I have a NAS using FreeNAS. None of the hardware or software is proprietary. If any hardware fails or all of it, the discs can be put in a new box. If a disc fails, it can be replaced. It is even possible to have a spare disc in the box which will be used if one fails.

ZFS checks for integrity at whatever period you specify, SMART can be enabled, and it emails me if there is a problem. Backups can be run as often as you like and, did I say, nothing proprietary.
Old 13th October 2019, 04:14 PM   #19
Simofil is offline Simofil  Italy
diyAudio Member

I made a guide about installing Logitech Media Server on FreeBSD
I've just written and installer script to install easily lms, I've compiled it from 2433703 commit (7.9.2 version)
I've tested it only on Freebsd-12 but I really need some feedback if it has some bugs on other bsd versions. (FreeNAS for ex.)
Before proceeding if lms is already installed it's better to delete it (optional) and to delete related lines on rc.conf (or just test it in a new jail)
Article: Logitech Media Server and FreeBSD – AudioDigitale
Old 15th October 2019, 08:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I will test the installation script in the next few days in a new jail.

LMS 7.9.2 on FreeNAS 11.2 in iocage jailHide this!Advertise here!