Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Raspberry Pi4 announced
Raspberry Pi4 announced
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 03:02 PM   #41
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
My UPS supply
Already out of the way

IMG_20190711_090004.jpg
Old 11th July 2019, 04:38 PM   #42
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

I found the perfect solution for dissipating the heat from the Pi 4 ! ! !

Click the image to open in full size.

That should do it but it kind of ruins the form factor...

Only $20 and currently available for pre-order:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/ICE-Towe...-4-p-4097.html
Old 11th July 2019, 08:24 PM   #43
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

A fan is never perfect :-)
Old 11th July 2019, 09:54 PM   #44
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
A fan is never perfect :-)
A fan is far from perfect... I prefer "fanless".

I would love to see a large passive heat sink, a properly designed one, and not one "borrowed" from a GPU that has the fins too closely spaced to work properly in free air without strong forces convection. I would love to see this fitted to the side of the Pi 4 that bears the SOC and other controller chips, with some heat transfer to each of them. Then I would like to see some kind of way to still allow HATs to be used - perhaps installing them somehow on the back side of the board, or at 90 degrees to the board? But all of these things cost money. The Pi and its support network are really top notch, but I can step up to an small Intel based miniPC and leave all of this in the rear view mirror.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:18 AM   #45
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
The Pi and its support network are really top notch, but I can step up to an small Intel based miniPC and leave all of this in the rear view mirror.
Yes and no. You can get good and cheap intel-based hardware, but kernel-wise it's not always better/more consistent than rpi. The auxilliary stuff is less neat, no Hifiberry HATs (although there is now a little USB-HAT converter in beta-testing, allowing to use Hifiberry units as USB audio devices for non-rpi PCs). There are always trade-offs.

Personally, I have never had a rpi 3 overheat and throttle the cpu on playing music and running basic IIR dsp, so perhaps the rpi 4 won't either?

Also, I kind of wonder why people don't try out audio amplifier heatsinks. Designed for passive use, they make our DIY cases look like "real" audio devices etc.
Old 15th July 2019, 03:38 PM   #46
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is a gent who posts some Pi cooling solutions he tests out on YouTube. IIRC the use of a PC heatsink with a copper pad in between to raise it high enough to clear the board, was very effective, even moreso with a fan. If the stock sized heatsink leaves one wanting, try the PC one with the copper pad... I'm tempted to try it one day, just gotta find a nice heatsink to use.

What I'm more curious about is whether I should let the Pi4 dictate my DAC purchase. I was hoping that using a USB DAC with the Pi4 would be better than with a 3, which I heard is not even really worth trying for hifi.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:13 PM   #47
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Running a PI as USB-DAC bridge is never been a good idea.
Perhaps it gets a little better with the Pi4.

To get around this weak spot Allo is working hard on a highest quality USB bridge based on the Pi compute module.

However. IMO the PI shines as I2S source. (with proper I2S DAC (re-)clocking scheme)
The top level HATs achieve outstanding jitter and noise levels. From that perspective there'd be no need for USB interfaces.
I'm more than happy getting rid of USB and all kind of USB filters altogether.

I run my 3B+ with Wifi and USB off (that alone saves 200mA =40%).

And if I need a serious computer - a workhorse - I take my NUC i5.

Enjoy.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:17 PM   #48
Jeffs is offline Jeffs  United States
diyAudio Member

Raspberry Pi4 announced
Maybe a heat pipe attached to the processor with thermal epoxy would work for those who want to use HAT's?
Old 16th July 2019, 09:51 PM   #49
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Just a 90' gpio adapter so the hat sits vertical then heat-sink or fan or both as you choose.
Old 21st July 2019, 10:25 PM   #50
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

I finally got around to doing a proper (albeit somewhat rushed) A-B test between the RPi 3 and RPi 4 as audio streamers.

To keep the playing field as level as possible both of them were running the exact same software (Raspbian Buster Lite) with MPD loaded and were powered by the same (excellent) Salas L-Adapter PS.

Connection to my DAC (DIY dual AK4493, very detailed) was through USB.

The music streamed from a NAS box over Ethernet.

I had a friend over in order to at least try to have a bigger sample size (of ears).

The music used was a handful of tracks that we always use for such comparisons (well known material).

We listened using the RPi3, then shut it down and booted up the RPi4, listening to the same material.

Much to our surprise, we actually preferred the sound of the RPi3!

The RPi4's presentation had something of a "fatiguing" effect. The sound was a bit more "coarse" that that of the RPi3.

We are not talking about big differences here, but they were there.

So it seems like I'll be going ahead with my "Audio Pi" project after all (I was considering waiting for the Compute Module 4 to come out).

I'm really curious if anyone else has done such a comparison and come to a similar conclusion.

Raspberry Pi4 announcedHide this!Advertise here!