Powering a Pi from 24v; simple converter board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Most dc dc converter board (that are also marketed as low noise) seem to take up to 20v. I have a 24v for other components with 24v and I want to use one in the chassis.
1,5 to 2A preferably.

Something like ldovr.com for example.

Any pointer to ok boards? It doesn’t have to be uber low noise audiophile oil but something you tested with a Pi streamer (5v dc).
Ive seen some on aliexpress but I don’t have experience with these.

Thanks

Hi,
Most dc dc converter board (that are also marketed as low noise) seem to take up to 20v. I have a 24v for other components with 24v and I want to use one in the chassis.
1,5 to 2A preferably.

Something like ldovr.com for example.

Any pointer to ok boards? It doesn’t have to be uber low noise audiophile oil but something you tested with a Pi streamer (5v dc).
Ive seen some on aliexpress but I don’t have experience with these.

Thanks

24Vcc - 5Vcc = 19Vcc drop / 19V x 2A = 38W / Quite a large heatsink to dissipate all that heat, I think... Try something more manageable as PSU pre-regulator (6Vcc to 8Vcc) if you want to feed an LDO set for 5Vcc IMHO

In my limited experience you'll want to test this before committing to a specific design. Apparently the RPi draws quite a lot of power on startup and the supply needs to be OK with that. I have several 5V PSUs rated 1.5-2A which are not powerful enough, even though the nominal current drawn by the Pi is only app. 250mA (IIRC) once it's up and running.

2A are ok for even the latest Pi I believe, I have all 3 generations and the 2A even 1A for Pi2 is ok. (Nowadays I run picoreplayer so its even lower.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.