IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
For any signals above 1MHz, we have to think them in the RF way. Wire length, grounding, shield and cross talk, impedance matching are all needed to be taken into account.

Hello Ian,
I already decided to keep some connections shorter than what is offered if you use the original cables.
Doede wrote about the supercaps having very nice '' filtering specs ''
It could well that a good quality cable ( i am using Dave Slagle solid core silver magnet wire) nicely soldered will outperform a gardenhose seize cable with standard grade connectors. The current is low and not fluctuating.
If RF should be considered":
solid core wire is preferred?
twisted wire?
Screened wire?
Thinner wire is better?
Of course keeping connections short is an easy way to go in the right direction.
Greetings, eduard

Hi Ian,

I'm using only one 11.2896 MHz clock in FiFoPi and I was hoping to see 16 bit output from the FiFoPi when playing red book 44.1 kHz / 16 bit files, but it seems to be outputting 32 bit with 16 bits of data. Is there any way to force the output to 16 bit which I believe would mean a 1.41 MHz bitclock? (now it is 2.82MHz).

I'm working with an older type of DAC and it don't seem to like the 32bit data... The player I'm using is Roon and Ropieee sw in RPi.

Ian,
I have set Ropieee to use I2S generic driver and in Roon the output set to give 16bit/48kHz max. Still the DATA output from FiFoPi is in 32bit frame and BCLK is 2.81MHz, please see the attached picture. Maybe the problem is with Roon...?

Attachments

• FiFoPi output with 16bit 44.1kHz.jpg
    FiFoPi output with 16bit 44.1kHz.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Subjective question in that are the objective measurements directly related to what you will hear with the Ian Canada stuff.
But I do believe you will hear an improvement. I started with a simple Rpi>hifiberry dac+Pro. Sounded ok. Started adding Ian isolator and separated psu lines and things improve. Then used Ians dual dac and output stage.....another jump. And so with the Fifo....and then better clocks. So it is all there for the taking to improve your system incrementally.

Initially just using the I2S or USB from an Rpi is far from optimal as far as I know

Correct and well implemented power supplies gave me the best improvements along with good clocks.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
And further to the above I have just updated mine and my brothers streamers.
I used a PFM flea psu for the DAC AVCC. I figured the low impedance and opamp buffered is online with ESS guidelines and also what Mark advises.
And free upgraded to Andrea Moris most affordable clock upgrade. TWTMC-PPG in 24mhz as we only need 44.1khz. These need 6v6. In mine I used a Salas Reflektor. For my brothers I used a homebred regulator using an Aliexpress TPS7A4700.

Both systems gave audible.improvemets to our ears. My brother has a very resolving costly commercial system and his other front end is a very nice vinyl set up. He hears things I don't and he is very pleased with the improvements these last mods found. Whilst I did the work to his I loaned him my Miro AD1862 dac with a fairly simple psu set up. He initially thought he preferred it over his Ian set up but after these AVCC and clock mods thought differently.

All subjective mumbo ofcourse. Take from it what you will!

Last edited:
Subjective question in that are the objective measurements directly related to what you will hear with the Ian Canada stuff.
But I do believe you will hear an improvement. I started with a simple Rpi>h
Correct and well implemented power supplies gave me the best improvements along with good clocks.

Thanks for the reply. I am really interested in this gear- I am just trying to determine how this compares to the $100-$150 DACs that measure so well. It looks like the Ian Audio stack will cost something like $200-300 more. I am putting this in a battery powered portable speaker, so the battery should be a little more stable than AC anyways. I am just trying to get a feel for how much improvement over Schiit Modi3 or Topping E30 there would be.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Indeed I am not sure it would be doing justice to Ian's gear. Not wanting to deny him a sale though.!
What would be your digital front end? If an Rpi then they are power hungry and will eat up a battery quite quickly I would think. But you could do a simple Ian system with just maybe the dac with transformer output stage to save you a PSU there. You could use his ReceiverPi if you intended feeding with spdif. But not sure what a 'mobile ' spdif input would be! Maybe a Google Chromecast audio but it needs WiFi

I doubt a mobile speaker system would benefit from a full blown IAN stack and probably you even can't hear what the E30 is capable of in such an arrangement.
Of course I don't know your speakers.....

Building at least two versions- 1 Li-ion powered and 1 wall power. Due to a series of events (me responding to the assertion that a 30lb portable speaker is absurd, with ‘Yeah, but it will murder every portable speaker there is”)- both designs are to be the baddest portable speaker anyone has ever heard (which seems doable as know else is dumb enough to go all out on portable speakers).

The battery powered one is really just improved drivers used in Paul Carmody’s Isetta design (slightly different box). The other is a clean sheet design with the new Epique 7” for bass, Tang full range for, and 1/2” Dayton super tweeters. Targeting $500 for the battery powered guy, and $1,000 for the big boy.

Since I know my box, driver and crossovers will not be the problem- I have been agonizing over how to best feed the drivers. I have my amp modules determined, so that simply leaves the Source, DAC, and EQ. RPI 4 with a casting/airplay, and usb connection seems like a no brained. So. Ow it’s just a matter of getting the source sent to analogue for the amps.

Indeed I am not sure it would be doing justice to Ian's gear. Not wanting to deny him a sale though.!
What would be your digital front end? If an Rpi then they are power hungry and will eat up a battery quite quickly I would think. But you could do a simple Ian system with just maybe the dac with transformer output stage to save you a PSU there. You could use his ReceiverPi if you intended feeding with spdif. But not sure what a 'mobile ' spdif input would be! Maybe a Google Chromecast audio but it needs WiFi

I am planning on running at least 3 battery packs.
2 of these (1 for each amp module) Dayton Audio LBB-5 5 x 26650 Lithium Battery Charger Board / Module
1 battery pack for the RPI4 (open to recommendations on battery pack with BMS), and another if I go seperate DAC)
I am open to ideas on a charge circuit, but I am don’t want to hijack this thread more than I already have.

He seems to be out for good measures.
Transformer output stages usually does not show lowest distortions.

To be clear- I am NOT a measurements only guy. I have seen good measuring stuff sound like crap, and bad measuring stuff sound good. Ideally, a system measures well and sounds good…ASR would never condone this, but I lean towards a warmer, tube sound, BUT with great detail and separation (which of course isn’t an easy combo). I have found that it is easier to have good measuring stuff, to start with- and then add color to taste.

ReceiverPI no output on SPDIF

HI All,

hope this is the right thread for this.
I'm having a problem with my new stack PI4>ReceiverPI>FIFOPI>TranceiverPI
I have had it playing fine today with input selected by switch (pin 19/20 , just powering my CD selects SPDIF RCA) it was playing fine, after switching back and forth several times between inputs PI / Spdif RCA from CD, then on switching back to CD....no sound.
Nothing was changed just switching inputs.
PI plays fine and sounds great
Spdif on output --- leds on ReceiverPI blue RCA lit and blue lock lit,
--- leds on FIFO red empty lit amd both xo leds flashing alternatly.
I hope someone can help.

Cheers Steve