IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

It is some time ago since I'm here, but nice to read that this mod seems to be helpful and positive in other systems too :)
I'm also on the same track by using the Accusilicon Clock instead NDK :)
This DAC sound amazing in my system. I also suggest to try the different filters of the DAC, it is somehow a possibility to fine tune the sound characteristic in the individual system.

Regards
Marcus

I removed the caps from my FIFO-PI this week too and was really impressed by the improvement. Less stressed and more open. Really good mod.

I have the new ESS9038 plus dac, unsure if I want to remove the caps as its an improved lower esr decoupling network - anyone have any thoughts on that?

Hi guys, been using a fifopiq1 ,Allo usb bridge and shanti powersupply for about 12 months and have been delighted with the results. Recently upgraded to a fifo pi q3 m uc and 3.3v psu with the Shanti only powering the Bridge and the sound has gone to pot. Sound is now bright and edgy and less rythymic. I transferred my Accusilicon clocks from the Q1 to the Q3 and I am using the same software , Gento player.
Anyone got any ideas? Using a 30 watt 6v toroid to power the 3.3v psu board.

True Sync Mode on 9038Q2MPi Dual Mono Plus

After an quick email exchange with Ian, I was able to get True Sync mode to work on the DAC. It is now much closer to my DDDAC in terms of imaging and tonality. (The clocks do not have to be 128FS to get this to work.)

I changed 3 things in the ESS config:

DPLL PCM BW = 0
OSF Bypass
TrueSync mode stop DPLL

I am using FifoPiQ3 with AccuSilicon Clocks and 2" u.fl cable from FifoPi to DAC board. Pi is running as a Roon endpoint.

A very worthwhile experiment. I will be keeping it configured this way.

(And, yes, you do lose volume control capability via the ESS controller and native DSD. Neither are issues for me.)

Last edited:
LinearPi w/ UcConditioner 5V vs Salas L-Adapter w/ UcConditioner 5V

Has anyone used these setups & compare LinearPi w/ UcConditioner 5V vs Salas L-Adapter w/ UcConditioner 5V?

I'm curious to see if they are comparable. On Ian's photo stream he has the Salas L-Adapter w/ UcConditioner setup pictured.

Cheers,

Aguaazul

Hi guys, been using a fifopiq1 ,Allo usb bridge and shanti powersupply for about 12 months and have been delighted with the results. Recently upgraded to a fifo pi q3 m uc and 3.3v psu with the Shanti only powering the Bridge and the sound has gone to pot. Sound is now bright and edgy and less rythymic. I transferred my Accusilicon clocks from the Q1 to the Q3 and I am using the same software , Gento player.
Anyone got any ideas? Using a 30 watt 6v toroid to power the 3.3v psu board.
Looks like it was my fault based on the wrong settings in GP.

After an quick email exchange with Ian, I was able to get True Sync mode to work on the DAC. It is now much closer to my DDDAC in terms of imaging and tonality. (The clocks do not have to be 128FS to get this to work.)

I changed 3 things in the ESS config:

DPLL PCM BW = 0
OSF Bypass
TrueSync mode stop DPLL

I am using FifoPiQ3 with AccuSilicon Clocks and 2" u.fl cable from FifoPi to DAC board. Pi is running as a Roon endpoint.

A very worthwhile experiment. I will be keeping it configured this way.

(And, yes, you do lose volume control capability via the ESS controller and native DSD. Neither are issues for me.)
When I switch OSF Bypass I have no sound, why?

I put my little stack of IanCanada goodness in a too-large enclosure that I got from ebay. I wanted a Roon endpoint but also able to do airplay. So I settled on RoPieee for the software side of things (although I also have a Volumio SD card as well). I found a case that fits the rPi 7" touch screen nicely, and machined out a suitable pocket in the front panel and machined some cutouts on the back. There has got to be a market for cases like this.

I made a basic power supply to get me rolling (to be improved later).

The output from the I/V board goes to a Hypex nCore OEM module. I've adjusted the i/v resistors slightly to set the gain for my speakers in a nice midpoint.

This system is currently running with a set of Quad 2805's in my shop. The digital front end combined with the nCore amp and Quads is super transparent and revealing without being harsh. It's go the precision of a schalpel for music.

Here's a few pictures:

http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6592.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6596.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6601.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6608.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6610.jpg
http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/streamer/IMG_6611.jpg

Sheldon

Sheldon,
You have done a great work. How did you get the front panel? What display are you using?

Thanks

Sheldon,
You have done a great work. How did you get the front panel? What display are you using?

That's the standard 7" raspberry pi touchscreen (ironically about 2x the cost of the rPi).

The front panel was blank and I milled out a pocket for the screen to fit into place. I have a really small CNC mill and it took like 4 hours to make that pocket due to my super wimpy spindle. But it's not like I had to peddle it, I just walked by every so often and vacuumed out the swarf. I also milled a couple holding brackets to screw the display to the back of the front panel.

I'm running RoPieeXL since I use roon these days along side iTunes. But I also have an SD card with volumio that also works well.

I have to use the 9038 controller to be able to use the hardware volume control in iTunes or Roon. But the display and encoder knob are buried inside the unit. I considered bringing them out, but I like the cleanness of just the display.

Sheldon

Sorry, I don't get to the forum all that frequently these days.

My power supply board is my own design. It's no great shakes and is designed to get me up and running. It consists of two parts, the first part is a meanwell potted power supply that puts out 5V (3 or 4A can't recall) to the rPi. The second part is a small transformer that feeds a rectifier bridge and filter caps. Then the raw power is fed to a set of adjustable voltage regulators set for 5V and 3.3V for Ian's boards. The supply could be better, but it could be worse too. :D

Someday I might improve it, or I might not. Life is funny that way.

Sheldon

The idea came from post #1382 where Umacus took away all SMD caps and claimed it sounded much better.

I simply followed his bold modding and I was extremely pleased with the result.
I told my friend to do the same and he was surprised with the improvement.

I told my friend it would be even better to have a 10,000uF decoupling cap in place of SMD cap (Panasonic low esr type). He did and very happy with these two mods.

I now added the second cap there....
So much fun and surprise!

Hi,
What voltage would be the best for the decoupling caps?
I have 6.3v, 16v and 25v.

Thank you for your answer