IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I cant comment on the batteries I'm afraid sorry.

Just been reading a review of the Terra Berry DAC2 with AKM 4490. One knowledgeable Japanese user says this..

"So I used 0.01 micro Farad capacitors and 100 Ω resistors to create USB terminators and terminated all USB ports. With this termination process, I was able to further improve the sound quality of Raspberry Pi. Although it is possible to invalidate the USB function like software, I do not know how to disable the USB function in volumio, so I coped with it by hardware. Either way, disabling this USB function is a very effective way to improve playback quality."

And these are they...terminating the USB ports....anyone done something similar?

Attachments

• 824843aeee942ee7b40ee7b7f3848929396fe2d8.jpeg
    824843aeee942ee7b40ee7b7f3848929396fe2d8.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 628
Joined 2018
Paid Member
More details!

"The concept of the USB terminator is as shown in the attached image.
Data ports are terminated by a 100Ω register located between pin 2 and 3. A capacitor is placed between the power supply line (pin 1) and the ground line (pin 4) to allow external noise caught by the power supply line to escape to the virtual ground. Changing the capacity and material of this capacitor seems to have some influence on the quality of playback sound. For miniaturization, I used a surface mounted metallized PPS film capacitor. I made 5 pieces, but it costs only 10 US dollars in total.

I tried to disable the USB function by ssh login, but it did not work on volumio."

Attachments

• a257dc60642d8d008e7482cfd551ac99a3283ce0.jpeg
    a257dc60642d8d008e7482cfd551ac99a3283ce0.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 615
I am pretty much a noob when it comes to Ians goodies. I am currently looking at the Battery PSU for my RPi + FiFoPi, but I can't figure out if it will work in my application. The idea is to have at least the FiFoPi (but maybe also the RPi) running only on battery during music playback. When there is no music playing, the PSU should remain turned on, but with the batteries charging up.

The switching between "battery only" and "running with battery charger on" should be automatic, either based on sensing the I2S signal or high/low pin at the RPi being controlled by a script running on the RPi.

Is this possible?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Yes unfortunately I realised that YouTube etc through the Receiver and Fifo is a no go due to the lag.

You can feed the spdif input from TV into an optical receiver and the wire that direct to the dac...missing the fifo but atleast it's in sync.

You have to alter the jumper on the ess controller to disable auto muting.

I have a couple of questions about this hardware and compatibility. I have the fifopi, the ess controller, ess9028 DAC, and the transformer output stage.

I have tried a couple different distributions for the Pi and I would like to use ropieee as I'm using Roon for my streaming. I setup ropieee and selected hifiberry dac+ in the list and I can get music out of the unit both with airplay and also with Roon. However I cannot adjust the volume with Roon, it appears to be fixed even though I said use device volume.

Can someone share with me their ropieee settings to allow the hardware volume control to be used through Roon?

I would also love to use the 7" touch screen, and I pulled the controller off the unisolated GPIO pins on the fifopi and plugged in the power and comm lines for the touch screen and I no longer get output from the DAC. Can a touch screen be used with the 9028 DAC board?

Can someone please share their ropieee setting to get the hardware volume control working? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Sheldon

supercap: Maxcell BCAP0003 P270 S01
I put 2 in series with resistors.
Somehow with the supercap on FIFOPI, the RPI does not want to boot.
So finally I gave up.
Instead, I put a 10,000uF, 0.1uF and 0.01uF on FIFOPI.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 4.34.15 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 4.34.15 AM.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 716
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

I am going to use a FifoPi with Andrea Mori clock and its own osci & power supply. But the clock powersupply rail, I would like to enhance all the rest with the tweaks talked here : 2 super caps and all. Is there plus a post that sumarize it all please in order to drop a BOM at Mouser or Farnell ?

Many thanks if any links about that and how should te Rpi+FifoPi should be powered/tweaked.

Hi UMarcus,
I followed your mod of removing all 5 E-caps in your post #1382.
WOW! What a surprise!
The finest details resurface!
Realism emerges!

I did put a Panasonic low ESR cap Of 10,000uF in one of the empty cap spot and it won’t hurt.
I tried 1.5F supercap before but it rendered my RPI unbootable.
I supply Fifopi with LT3042 @ 3.3V using Ian’s pcb.
I also put in a Rubycon PMLCAP of 0.1uF for each clock.

I have both Accusilicon and NDK clocks for comparison.
After 100 hours of burn in time, I think I like Accusilicon a bit more.
Accusilicon is more in the front row while NDK is in the mid row.
I am very happy about this!
Thanks.