Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2019, 10:30 PM   #811
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@ernesternest,

See post #223 of this thread for a picture of the Mouser PN for some moderate ESR .33F/5.5V supercaps recommened by Joe Rasmussen and used by Allo in their Boss and Katana DACs (among other places). These are currently EOL, so either find a source with some in stock and get some soon or find the replacement.

Because they are not low ESR, the current inrush when power is applied is minimal.

Then on lower ESR Ultracaps, I got these different types from Mouser to try on Ian's DAC boards, though I haven't tried them yet:

Mouser #: 598-DGH155Q5R5
Mfr. #: DGH155Q5R5
Mfr.: Illinois Capacitor / CDE

Mouser #: 581-SCMR22C155MRBA0
Mfr. #: SCMR22C155MRBA0
Mfr.: AVX

Mouser #: 723-BMOD0001P005B02
Mfr. #: BMOD0001 P005 B02
Mfr.: Maxwell / Nesscap

My questions and comments along with others' responses in the past several posts are about using these low ESR Ultracaps with Ian's LiFePO4 supply... which I'm beginning to think is not a good idea unless some means is used to limit the charge current when the LiFePO4 supply is turned on or to pre-charge the low ESR Ultracaps before turning the supply on. Either can be done, but will take some work and care. I suspect just installing them without dealing with the likely VERY HIGH instantaneous charge current from the LiFePO4 cells could be disasterous!

Maybe someone else has tried this and can either let us know it works ok or warn us against it?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. The low-ESR Ultracaps above are similar to those used by @Wlowes in his implementations of Ian's I2StoPCM board and FiFoPi, but since Walter is powering his setup with AC-connected supplies and a final LDO with built-in current limiting, he doesn't have issues with current inrush.

They are also similar to those used by Allo as the final output C in their Shanti power supplies.

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 18th August 2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:03 AM   #812
ernesternest is online now ernesternest  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg, I will try to get some of the small ones with higher ESR. Was looking at Mouser yesterday without success. So I hope they are still available.

Cheers, Ernst
Old 19th August 2019, 03:22 AM   #813
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Its easy to add a little ESR with a plain old R.
Old 19th August 2019, 06:10 AM   #814
ernesternest is online now ernesternest  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default EEC-S0HD334HN

Greg, meanwhile they are out of stock and discontinued :-( Maybe I can find another one somewhere....

Mark, yepp.

Cheers,

Ernst
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #815
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Greg I ran my dac board with 1.5f caps on the rails powered by lifepo board directly. They're avx scm caps, 580m ohm. No issues.
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #816
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Greg I ran my dac board with 1.5f caps on the rails powered by lifepo board directly.
How many milli-ohms of resistance in the PCB traces, wiring, terminals, relay contacts, etc., between the batteries and the caps?
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #817
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

RS UK have the 0.33f Pana caps in. They have 2 versions ? Both SD series but one is Gold series?

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!