IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi
I really would like to try this well reviewed sd card player:
DSD STM32F407ZET6 SD lossless digital dial I2S output support 16Bit 24Bit 32Bit 192K WAVE FLAC APE player|Operational Amplifier Chips|Consumer Electronics - AliExpress
but my DAC only has usb, S/PDIF and optical inputs whereas the player outputs I2S only.
@iancanada or anyone: would something like the I2S to PCM converter board V2.0 or the TransportPi (or perhaps something else in the iancanada stable) enable me to convert I2S to S/PDIF for the input to my DAC.

Thanks

Hi
I really would like to try this well reviewed sd card player:
DSD STM32F407ZET6 SD lossless digital dial I2S output support 16Bit 24Bit 32Bit 192K WAVE FLAC APE player|Operational Amplifier Chips|Consumer Electronics - AliExpress
but my DAC only has usb, S/PDIF and optical inputs whereas the player outputs I2S only.
@iancanada or anyone: would something like the I2S to PCM converter board V2.0 or the TransportPi (or perhaps something else in the iancanada stable) enable me to convert I2S to S/PDIF for the input to my DAC.

Thanks

You can use it with the ReceiverPi from Ian and use his Dual ES9038K2M DAC on top along with the Fifopi ultimate

Do

Hi,
I use the RP3B + TransportPi to I2S input of HOLO Spring Dac (1st Gen) using Audirvana to Moode Audio (UPNP). In Moode Audio I'm using the Audiophonics 9028/9038 DAC for the I2S audio device as this is allowing up to 384k/DSD128 on RPi B. The PCM playing well (up to 384k) and DSD (up to DSD128) but the L / R channels are inverted only for DSD.

Is any solution to this problem? I've searched here and on other sites but didn't find much. It will be great if somebody have some info.

I'm using Rpi4, ReceiverPi, FifoPi, ES9038Q2Dual with output transformer in a low case. Yesterday I connected with u.fl cables from ReceiverPi u.fl output to FifoPi through Ian's I2S adapter.
Gain decreased after that, so the volume is noticeably lower, compared when I used regular cables from ReceiverPI GPIO to FifoPI GPIO. Is that normal and expected?

Hi IAN

Can you also compare the sound quality of this setup (dac) with some other commercial product as well. It will be interesting to know that if this configuration can challenge some very expensive commercial products.

I am thinking to get this whole solution but I know I have to do hassle of buying so many components/part from different suppliers. I think it would be nice if you can offer a complete ready made solution by yourself.

I read that Ian compared to Benchmark DAC3, but has anyone else done comparisions again commercial dacs that they can summarise?

I got my fifopi a week ago with an RP4 it is driving a soekris dam1941, direct i2s.

My sofar unbeaten reference system has been an old alix1d board with sotm usb output card, usb into the soekris dac. Mpdpup....so everything quiet legacy, no spotify, only NaS PCM.

I wanted a more flexible solution to stream as well plus maybe as well better sounding, but not worse sounding than what i have.

I started with volumio. Easy to setup, nice Apps. but the sound was hmmmm...strange. Sometimes like a phase error happens.

I went to Archphile and got immediately shaken up, much better dynamics...but this thing drives me crazy as it starts when rebooted only after three or four attempts...so I wrote five cards by now as in the beginning i tought i messed up configurations....tweaked it a bit, got cover art running with lighttpd etc. But in the end it had not the same airyness and space/vibrance when the micro open in some recordings and you can hear the singer breathing...than my old legacy solution.

Went on the Moode. as well nice sounding, easy to configure..comfort level of volumio without phase issues...differenct, more rounded sound than Archphile. but still not the resolution i look for.

Went on with Dietpi as I found the webpage of Dynobot in the meantime. Configure it with MPD.....a big YES. Now its very difficult to know which player (alix vs fifopi)is playing....and this is without tweaking Dietpi(yet).

As there is no specific Dietpi Thread here in Diyaudio, may I ask those who use this combination (and I read here are some) already much longer some questions ?

Here we go:

- Which tweaks do you suggest ? I saw dynobot automatic scripts, but they are not tested for Rp4 yet. GitHub - dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments: Audio Tweaks for Debian Based RPi

- For FifoPi and Dietp and I2S (no USB): Is RP4 the best platform or usbridge from Allo or an older RP (less cpu freq, less stress, less heat, less emf...?)

- How did you get cover art to work ? I would like to use my current app soundirok and cant get lighttpd to work somehow...

Thanks so much !

Btw...Ian's battery is playing by now as well, mase a nice improvement towards more clarity, less noise, more natural tone...my 5ct...I have four rails installed, but use only one currently, so how can I see the individual charge level of that battery ? the display shows me always everything is full....

Last edited:
I got my fifopi a week ago with an RP4 it is driving a soekris dam1941, direct i2s.

My sofar unbeaten reference system has been an old alix1d board with sotm usb output card, usb into the soekris dac. Mpdpup....so everything quiet legacy, no spotify, only NaS PCM.

I wanted a more flexible solution to stream as well plus maybe as well better sounding, but not worse sounding than what i have.

I started with volumio. Easy to setup, nice Apps. but the sound was hmmmm...strange. Sometimes like a phase error happens.

I went to Archphile and got immediately shaken up, much better dynamics...but this thing drives me crazy as it starts when rebooted only after three or four attempts...so I wrote five cards by now as in the beginning i tought i messed up configurations....tweaked it a bit, got cover art running with lighttpd etc. But in the end it had not the same airyness and space/vibrance when the micro open in some recordings and you can hear the singer breathing...than my old legacy solution.

Went on the Moode. as well nice sounding, easy to configure..comfort level of volumio without phase issues...differenct, more rounded sound than Archphile. but still not the resolution i look for.

Went on with Dietpi as I found the webpage of Dynobot in the meantime. Configure it with MPD.....a big YES. Now its very difficult to know which player (alix vs fifopi)is playing....and this is without tweaking Dietpi(yet).

As there is no specific Dietpi Thread here in Diyaudio, may I ask those who use this combination (and I read here are some) already much longer some questions ?

Here we go:

- Which tweaks do you suggest ? I saw dynobot automatic scripts, but they are not tested for Rp4 yet. GitHub - dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments: Audio Tweaks for Debian Based RPi

- For FifoPi and Dietp and I2S (no USB): Is RP4 the best platform or usbridge from Allo or an older RP (less cpu freq, less stress, less heat, less emf...?)

- How did you get cover art to work ? I would like to use my current app soundirok and cant get lighttpd to work somehow...

Thanks so much !

Btw...Ian's battery is playing by now as well, mase a nice improvement towards more clarity, less noise, more natural tone...my 5ct...I have four rails installed, but use only one currently, so how can I see the individual charge level of that battery ? the display shows me always everything is full....

Not tested on Ians equipment, but I enjoyed Moode, but I enjoyed GentooPlayer even more. This is my current reference.

Gentoo Player looks like a very interesting distro but there too much info lacking over the different profiles and kernel... I have a Allo USBridge Sig for use with Ian’s DAC but which profile would be best knowing I’m using Roon... I’m sure there’s a more optimized profile for this scenario... I’ve used dietpi in many builds and it is working good but I have to go through hoops and loops to make it work with Allo USBridge Sig, all this because I do not want to use the bloated menu from Allo on Dietpi...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!
Do

I try to get it running... still it produces a configuration output error, so no music sofar, i need to see why this is the case... it put a dac into alsa output but generate a syntax error, so output is disabled in the end... maybe some with gentoo experience has come acriss the same issue and found a solution... i try to get only mpd to work.

Dietpi a no go for me

I preface this with I am too lazy to learn Linux to install and then relearn every time I have an issue. First, it assumes connection to the www to even configure itself. I run my stereo in its own room on a dedicated network that is not connected to the net. I got past this step by carting the streamer upstairs, but then once back in the basement and connected to its NAS, it again expected connectivity every step of the way. For many, this is no problem, but I grew tired of spending more time searching for Line Command syntax than listening to music. So the conversion to Rpi from BBB was a blessing because I could use stuff like Moode that is idiot proof. For me, I'll trade off that last % of sound quality to have a system I can treat as a reliable appliance. Maybe some time in the future:)

I'm using Foobar + PC as for me the PI is not working stable. As USB Bridge the Amanero Board is directly connected to the FifoPi. This Board sounds better than the compared JL USB Board. I never expect a big difference as I thought that the FifoPI (Buffer) somehow decouple the Input Domain, but there is a reasonable difference between the Amanero and JS Sound Board.

I play with different settings of resampling also.. for me up sample to 352kHz or 384kHz (depend on source sample rate as multiplier of integer) sound noticeable better than keep original sample rate.

Last edited:
Sounds good UMarcus.
Re Rpi stability, its worth noting that one of the things I appreciate about Moode is the stability. I leave it on 7/24 for months at a time and never have a failure. Very different from other distros I used in the past that locked up frequently and required command line inputs to rescue. I think one of the other things is use a really good micro sd card. I use Sandisk and always keep a spare on hand just in case.