Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2019, 05:52 PM   #521
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
@Mark

I saw three problems in you solution if you use LMK01000, but I could be wrong.

1. Your system will have three clock domains. One is the ES9038Q2M, The other is the AK4137, and the third is the xMOS USB. All of the three domains are not synchronized to each other.
Again, the dac we are talking about works much like Benchmark DAC-3:
Benchmark DAC3 HGC - Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Benchmark Media Systems
Benchmark DAC3 HGC D/A preamplifier-headphone amplifier | Stereophile.com

According to Stereophile when they reviewed DAC-3, it was SOA and A+ recommended. The approach can be audiophile quality, if done correctly.

Quote:
2. In your system, there will be two ASRCs. One is the AK4137 and the other is the ES9038Q2M.
Again, this is like DAC-3. It can work fine if done correctly.

Quote:
3. LMK01000 is a PLL itself. The PLL jitter will be applied to ES9038Q2M input. Though it was designed as audio PLL, but I don't think it qualified to audiophile level. Could only be good enough for home theater system.
There is some jitter from PLLs in LMK01000 and in AK4137. However, as you say, if the AK4137 I2S output signals are setup according to the dac chip I2S input specifications then everything should work correctly. Yet, some further improvement might be obtained by reclocking after AK4137. That's something I considered doing, but never got around to trying.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it can achieve the good sound quality as you think. But at least it can not keep everything original and native.

If AK4137 can take up to 25MHz clock, I would suggest using flip-flops to generate 25MHz clock from the 100MHz.
I tried it and empirically found that sound quality can be very similar to Benchmark DAC-3. Maybe even a little better than DAC-3 in some ways, according to Jam (a professional high end audio designer who listened to both my dac and DAC-3 in an A/B comparison).

Regards,
Mark
Old 19th June 2019, 06:15 PM   #522
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Again, the dac we are talking about works much like Benchmark DAC-3:
Benchmark DAC3 HGC - Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Benchmark Media Systems
Benchmark DAC3 HGC D/A preamplifier-headphone amplifier | Stereophile.com

According to Stereophile when they reviewed DAC-3, it was SOA and A+ recommended. The approach can be audiophile quality, if done correctly.

Again, this is like DAC-3. It can work fine if done correctly.

There is some jitter from PLLs in LMK01000 and in AK4137. However, as you say, if the AK4137 I2S output signals are setup according to the dac chip I2S input specifications then everything should work correctly. Yet, some further improvement might be obtained by reclocking after AK4137. That's something I considered doing, but never got around to trying.

I tried it and empirically found that sound quality can be very similar to Benchmark DAC-3. Maybe even a little better than DAC-3 in some ways, according to Jam (a professional high end audio designer who listened to both my dac and DAC-3 in an A/B comparison).

Regards,
Mark
Hi Mark.

That's wonderful. I will see what it can be achieved. Good luck to the project.

I have a AK4137 board, maybe I should give it a try. I'll post the update if I have down the road. Does it convert everything into DSD?

But for now, I need to try Greg's Rasmussen filtering solution to see how much improved he got.

Regards,
Ian
Old 19th June 2019, 06:24 PM   #523
Forane12 is offline Forane12  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

The 4137 is a very good part if you are looking for an easy to implement solution to get to the big numbers everyone is talking about - DSD512 and so but in the end for me and a lot of friends it is just midfi. Spectacular at first but then you realize everything sounds in the same processed manner, don't take my word for it, listen.
Old 19th June 2019, 06:59 PM   #524
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forane12 View Post
... DSD512 and so but in the end for me and a lot of friends it is just midfi. Spectacular at first but then you realize everything sounds in the same processed manner, don't take my word for it, listen.
AK4137 cannot do DSD512, the maximum is DSD256.

It will sound as you say if implemented incorrectly. I found it difficult to get AK4137 to sound its best, and so far as I know nobody else has ever successfully done it that particular way. As I said, my experiments showed that clock timing for best sound quality was critical down to 150ps or so, which I determined by checking sound quality at each LMK01000 150ps delay step. Of course, that was with the clocking set up as I have already described, the only experiment I can attest to.

Also, I would say that all dacs have filters that sound a particular way. Output stages and other design choices have their sound too. It's just that some people don't notice the way in which everything sounds the same when played through a particular dac design.

Last edited by Markw4; 19th June 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 04:54 PM   #525
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Burn-in for a couple of days, I like the sound of OPA1612 OPAs more than before. I use the balanced output, so the OPA for SE output was uninstalled.

BTW, all OPA1622 adapters were shipped as letters to whom that messaged me the shipping addresses.

They will be received soon. Please let us know for update

Click the image to open in full size.
OPA1612adapter
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian
Old 20th June 2019, 08:13 PM   #526
miksi is offline miksi  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Burn-in for a couple of days, I like the sound of OPA1612 OPAs more than before. I use the balanced output, so the OPA for SE output was uninstalled.

BTW, all OPA1612 adapters were shipped as letters to whom that messaged me the shipping addresses.

They will be received soon. Please let us know for update

Regards,
Ian
OPA1612 SON-8 will be here next week...
Old 21st June 2019, 06:11 PM   #527
sq225917 is online now sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Ian I have a pair of ll1674, can you offer any advice on wiring them to your 1154 boards. Transformers are a total dark art to me I have zero experience with them.
Old 22nd June 2019, 06:54 AM   #528
Forane12 is offline Forane12  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
AK4137 cannot do DSD512, the maximum is DSD256.
Correct, it was a long time ago

You are probably right, implementation is most important.
Old 22nd June 2019, 03:41 PM   #529
sq225917 is online now sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
I've worked it out.
Old 22nd June 2019, 05:36 PM   #530
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi,

I want to connect two battery boards to the dac. Using the 13v rails of the 2 boards in parallel to lower ps impedance to the iv stage. In the manual there is only mention of putting the batteries in series, not in parallel.
Is there a downside of using them in parallel?

I also have a 7,7A 19v switching ps, will this suffice for feeding two boards in parallel? The manual states a minimum of 3,5A but the charge current on the display is around 6A max (is this the current at 3,3V?)
This message got lost in the square wave discussion.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!