IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

9038 dac power

Ummm help. Sorry if the has been answered prior. I am using the battery board to power fifo and dac (using two of the 3.3v outputs) so I have two spare (as the IV is transformer based) so I have available 4 3.3v supplies / cells. My question is if I take out the three breakout boards and feed the three supplies from one cell each do I need to also supply power to the original 3.3v screw terminal on the DAC, and if so what of the three separate breakout supply inputs would you share with the screw terminal (or is there some scheme why by I could add one more 3.3v output to the battery board

Hi Ian,

Please try Neutron Star 2 reference clock, it may better than Pulsar.
Hi guys,

I'm very happy with the sound quality of the true sync mode, so I posted my experience in this post a month ago,
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-...essions-tweaks-mods-hints-89.html#post5920007

But the only problem I had was that the true sync mode doesn't work with DSD. Now, the problem is fixed. I know the reason and have the solution.

Some community members told me that they can run DSD at true sync mode with DSD bandwidth 0 and DPLL stopped. But I tried many times without success. The other day Vin send my a picture of his system running DSD at this mode. I was wondering why.

One day, I occasionally up-sampling the DSD64 to DSD128 for my Roon endpoint, I found I had no problem with DSD128 music at true sync mode(45.1584 MCLK). I suspect it must has business with MCLK frequencies.

So, I changed my XO frequency to 22.5792MHz from 45.1584 or 90.2168MHz, and set DSD DPLL to 0 with DPLL stopped. OSF can also be set bypassed. I make it! Both DSD64 and DSD128 works perfectly at true sync mode. With Crystek CCHD957, my ES9038Q2M dual mono DAC sounds amazing. My DSD music never sounds as nature and analog as this. Roon, Volumio and all other software do the same. I have a LINN sound tracks in SACD iso format. I played the SACD image file by Foobar2000 (with DSD plugin) in native DSD mode through my Amanero USB streamer (also with ReceiverPi). The sound style was very close to a Vinyl record but just without the noise (with Bisesik transformer I/V).

So, the solution is simple: use 22.5792MHz XO for DSD64 and DSD128, or up-sampling music to DSD128 to use 45.1584MHz or DSD256 for 90.2168MHz.

I believe the sound quality still has room to improve if using better clock. Just hope I had a 22.5792MHz Pulsar OCXO. Too bad they were discontinued.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Please try Neutron Star 2 reference clock, it may better than Pulsar.

This probability is not high that Neutron Star is better than Pulsar. Neutron Star can't plug directly into the clock socket, but Neutron Star needs to feed the clock signal through a wire. However, the clock signal is very susceptible to interference through the wire, which adds a lot of clock jitter.

This probability is not high that Neutron Star is better than Pulsar. Neutron Star can't plug directly into the clock socket, but Neutron Star needs to feed the clock signal through a wire. However, the clock signal is very susceptible to interference through the wire, which adds a lot of clock jitter.

Where can I get a Neutron Star?

Ian

Less than $1? Where can you find it at that price?
I see it priced 40/50€ everywhere...

40/50€ is a huge profit margin, specifically for foreigners, because foreigners do not know that accusilicon 318b is actually super cheap, you can Google accusilicon 318b, you will see many Chinese brands DAC or other products are changed to accusilicon 318b.

I can help to send it to you if you are interested, but you have to pay the expensive international postage fee from Chian. The provider is a company that sell the modules for raspberry pi . They purchase accusilicon 318b in large quantities so that they can resell it in small quantities.

Last edited:
40/50€ is a huge profit margin, specifically for foreigners, because foreigners do not know that accusilicon 318b is actually super cheap, you can Google accusilicon 318b, you will see many Chinese brands DAC or other products are changed to accusilicon 318b.

I can help to send it to you if you are interested, but you have to pay the expensive international postage fee from Chian. The provider is a company that sell the modules for raspberry pi . They purchase accusilicon 318b in large quantities so that they can resell it in small quantities.

They can only supply the 2520 package, and the manufacturer does not use a larger package.

The frequency is only 49.152 and 45.1584. Each time the order quantity is 3,000 pieces, it is impossible for the manufacturer to order what they does not use.

Compared to CCHD 950, accusilicon 318b omits jitter control function for frequency domain , so the price will be much cheaper, but I have confirmed that the Accusilicon 318B crystal is the same level as the CCHD950 for the audio.

Last edited: