IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hope, my answer will be helpful too :)
I am able to play DSD256 and DSD512 in true sync mode. But, unfortunately the loud "pops" occuring at the beginning of playing (at least if the sample rate changed from the previous playback).

Thank you Ivan.
I just need to switch s2 jumper to "on" and to stop dpll using Ian controller.
Is that right? Do I have to change something on Fifopi?

Hi Ian,
Did you had success playing DSD in true synch mode?
Did you tried DSD256 or DSD512?

regards,
terry

@terry

I'd suggest you trying ES9028Q2M at true sync mode for both DSD and PCM.

For true sync mode, its DPLL works better than ES9038Q2M. Might be because of ES9038Q2M needs something else for DoP decoding and we can not disable this function. But I could be wrong.

Good luck,
Ian

After separating my DAC from the Pi stack using a 40 pin ribbon connector to see if Pi solation would be of benefit.

My DAC no longer works.

I have reflashed the SD card and even tried a different Pi.
I have reconnected the stack without the ribbon and still no joy.
It powers up and Mo0de connects but the controller display only scrolls 'ESS Controller'

I have 3 separate supplies from the LifeP04 to the DAC, and when powered up DVCC drops from 3.3V to 2.1V.

Is this a sign that I have broken something ?

If your ribbon connector was reversed then you probably fried something, there is 5V on pins 2 and 4 that should not be going to pins 1 and 3 (or 37 and 39 depending orientation). Check the pins on the cable with a multimeter and you'll be able to tell if it was reversed and if so how.

Hi Ian,

Could you show a picture of the other side of you DAC stack?

Thanks
Do

@ Do,

My configuration is:

1. Bisesik transformer I/V
2. ES9038Q2M DM DAC HAT (with GPIO I2S terminator board)
3. ShieldPi II
4. FifoPi Q2
5. RPi

I use LifePO4 power supply with pre-charged ultra capacitor in parallel (for 5V RPi power ) and feed three 3.3V rails to ES9038Q2M DM DAC

Software is Volumio with Roon end point plug-in.

I'll be out of town this week, hopefully you will have the picture by the weekend.

Regards,
Ian

I am not as good as Greg in his reports, but I have to say some notes :)

My report, which probably can help to eliminate the main problems of using Raspberry Pi (3B in my case) as endpoint for Roon Player.
I found that the most useful method of playing music on Ian's DM ES9038Q2Mpi DAC - is to enable true sync mode (and OSF bypassed btw), but in this case the very loud click occurs when you change the sampling rate (according to the music file) - it is simply dangerous for the equipment and especially for loudspeakers. Another 2 issues relates to the GPIO of RPi - I have not found the way to play even DSD256 not to mention DSD512 (GPIO\Driver\DoP\I2S limitation of RPi as I understood). OK, seems this limitation could be gaped if to use external USB-I2S card (like mine JLSounds I2SoverUSB_v_III). Yes, the Native mode with "up to DSD512 capability" in the Audio settings of Roon config now available. But again another issue rised up. Continious drop of synchronization (clicks) on any music material from 24bit/192k (or DSD128) - as I understood - the Ethernet\USB sharing conflict (remember I want to use Roon, while Volumio\Moode - with attached HDD is not my choice - I have the Raid from 6 HDDs).

Considering all the aboved issues I found the way to eliminate all of them.

1.Dedicated Server for RoonCore based on fast 8-th generation Intel core (i3 9100F in my case) with upsampling all the material to DSD512 (no divider switching - no clicks inside 9038 board in true sync). Have tried my desktop computer with its i5 760 - DSD256->DSD512 stops few seconds after playing - processing error (70-80% of CPU usage) - modern computing is really needed.

2. RPi absence as the end point for Roon (atom based SBC works fine now, but I will try BBB and IntelUp boards soon). May be the fresh aprroach of USBridge signature will allow to use RPi - I do not really know and it would be great if so (I have no this motherboard).

3. USB-I2S board connected to the endpoint capable to work with DSD512.

As the result I have a flawless smoth playback with all the benefits of DSD512 (even CDDA format sounds ucomparably better at DSD512!) quality and Roon approach advantages. And the volume control from ESS controller works fine too! Flawless Victory! (@Mortal Kombat@)

I want try upsampling to 32/768 and DSD1024 in future, but I need to change XOs from 45\49 to 90\98 at first and USB-I2S board capable for DSD1024 in second case. DIYinHK DXIO768K may be ??? - how it is compared to I2SoverUSB anybody knows?

Last edited:
Last edited:
@randytsuch,

I expect you'll hear a good bump in SQ when you bypass the FiFoPi LDOs. The FiFoPi sounded good with UCs feeding it at 5V through the LDOs. BUT even better with the UCs at 3.3V and the LDOs bypassed. One of the worse setups I tried was anything feeding the FiFoPi 3.3V with the LDOs not bypassed. That just didn't sound very good no matter what 3.3V source.

Greg in Mississippi

Hi again Greg,
Is there some post or pictures where you explained how to bypass the onboard ldos on fifopi?
I tried to search the thread but didn’t found something precise about the way to do it.
Thank you if you can help.
Regards,
Terry