Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #201
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

I do plan to use the 3042 regulator boards that Ian generously gave us. I expect that they will lead to even more improvements.
One thing that may not have been clearer in my post on the clock power supply... I used 3 Regulators in series. I can't attest to the Improvement that multiple Regulators make but after reading many posts about the science behind it I felt that it was well worth putting them in place. I can say that the sound is quite good.

My next experiment will be with Andre's well-tempered master clock. I look forward to seeing those results although that'll be quite a piece down the road. The experiment with reg on the NDK was really just a step in that direction.

Also pleased to hear about the long break in. I suspect the entire thing will continue to get better like fine wine. That's why I keep powered 7x24. A separate switch for digital and tube sections proved very valuable.

Again thanks to Ian. I was attracted to his device based partly on the flexibility to safely try different clocks and PS mods. It certainly delivers.
Old Today, 01:16 AM   #202
Greg Stewart is online now Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@jacklee,

Sorry for being so slow to respond to your request on transformer outputs. Honestly I have little experience in this realm and have only used 3 setups and only with Ian's DACs... the GB LL1544a, the Onetics 600:600 units I got for this type of use a few year back, and a pair of Lundahl LL1570XL.

The LL1570XL trail behind the other two. I can't recommend them.

The LL1544a are behind the Onetics, but not by a huge amount. I can listen to either. AND since getting more of the Onetics tranformers seems to be difficult nowadays (I reached out to them and know some others who did too, with no responses), I would not set my heart on getting a pair of them.

I asked a friend with MUCH more experience with output transformers and he suggested Cinemag, Jensen, and Sowter as good sounding alternatives at reasonable prices. AND if one has deep pockets, Tango and Finemet. AND maybe some from Silk that will be between these two extremes in cost.

Anyone else with some experience in this area?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I should add I have LL1684 here to try too at some point.

Last edited by Greg Stewart; Today at 01:42 AM.
Old Today, 02:33 AM   #203
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@Greg,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with transformers. I really like the LL1544a already and it's not even a premium model in the Lundahl catalog so I thought there must be something even better.

I'm not entirely sure about what transformer specifications are required for this I/V conversion duty so have a hard time finding alternatives. Do you have any suggestions?

I found in the Lundahl catalog a premium input transformer: LL1948
https://www.lundahltransformers.com/...heets/1948.pdf

Do you think this will work for I/V duty?

Thanks again!

Jack
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #204
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default More Clock Experiments

Just want to share some initial impressions from installing the newclassD Neutron Star 2 (45Mhz) clock into my fifopi stack.

A couple things for the installation:
  • The NS2 is powered using a separate 13.2V battery rail.
  • The NS2 has two outputs. I used the one with coaxial cable output (which has a max length of 50cm. The other one is limited to 10cm.)
  • I cut the coaxial cable to length (about 10cm) and then soldered the wires to a clock socket with center wire to the signal pin and shield wire to the GND pin.
  • The NS2 can support enable/disable via the ENABLE pin connected to the HOST connection point in the NS2 board but I ended up not using that (more on that later).
Some observations:
  • I initially connected the ENABLE/HOST via a third wire (the brown one in the photo) but that didn't work - the fifopi won't boot (stay on displaying running dots in the ESS Controller). I then realized that for the ENABLE signal to work the NS2 board must have its GND connected to the fifopi GND as the clock output is galvanic isolated.
  • So I connected their GNDs and it worked as intended. BUT then I found the sound to be not as good as before. Puzzled for a while and then I went back to remove the GND connection (and disabled the ENABLE/HOST function via a solder joint) and voila the sound improved!
  • I also found that the fifopi can work correctly w/o the ENABLE/HOST function as I can play both 44.1khz and 48khz files normally with a NDK clock (49Mhz) in the second socket. The fifopi must have a "mute" switch for each clock for when one is not in use.
  • However, at this point I still found it slightly worst then when I first tested it and the only difference was I have installed a second NDK clock (49Mhz) into the second socket so off it went, and voila again the full sound quality was restored!

What it means is that to get the best sound out of the NS2 it must be used alone and completely isolated from the fifopi GND. I'm not sure if this also applies to other clocks so could be something simple to experiment.

So how does it sound? I hesitate to draw any conclusion this early as it has just been installed but suffice to say that with it in place I was drawn into the music rather than focusing on doing comparisons. I'll do the usual run-in and report back in a couple weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (984.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by jacklee; Today at 03:03 AM.

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!