IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Thanks. I'll post some more photos on the construction process later.

Before I play anything the fifo shows empty and no lock. However once I started playing the fifo locks on (green light). How do I verify if the player is working? There is no error reported and roon seems to play normally, just no sound.

This is the ALSA info when playing via Roon:

[ SUB1 ] DietPi-JustBoom > ALSA Output Info
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 882
buffer_size: 1764

Looks correct to me.

So what software is known to work? Perhaps I can try that first to verify the stack's operation.

The cells ... but no taps ... so has to weld them myself!

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 1,473
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 1,466
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Nice thing is that I can align the cells exactly where I want it. I placed tapes on both ends of the cells as well as under the board for added protection.

Now I just need to figure out the software to make it play sound.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 592
I just assembled the setup. Need some advice on setting up the dac hat in dietpi.

I installed dietpt, roon-bridge, and raspotify. The roon device is visible and can be selected:

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

However when I play a song via roon there is no sound output. Roon shows the song actively playing and there is no error reported. Perhaps I need to configure the DAC hat somehow?

Any pointers are most appreciated!
I wonder if Ropieee might be an easier solution. Absolutely no Linux knowledge required. It's truly a plug-n-play solution and just simply works! I use it for all my pi end-points. Once you know the IP address of your Pi, there's a very easy config screen that comes up. You literately answer a couple questions, save and reboot. Are you familiar with it? Might be worth considering if you're interested.

Noob setting up a new RPi DAC

I currently have an Allo Piano 2.1 and am considering an upgrade. Was looking at the Katana, but after reading some threads on ianCanada boards I am prob going to go with his stuff. Currently running audio out to a Harmon kardon pre and then an Aleph J.

I am a noob to DIY DAC setups, so am a bit confused on what I need to order from Ian’s listings to have a complete setup. Can someone direct me to a thread or give advice on a moderately high end configuration. I currently run MoodeAudio on the RBPi.

This is the ALSA info when playing via Roon:

[ SUB1 ] DietPi-JustBoom > ALSA Output Info
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 882
buffer_size: 1764

Looks correct to me.

So what software is known to work? Perhaps I can try that first to verify the stack's operation.
You seem to be playing 16bit stream and someone else has problems with the FifoPi 16 to 32 bit conversion. Go into Roon and add a sample rate conversion to max PCM which I think will force 32 bit output. See if that works.

I am thinking of an alternative opamp for the IV converter.
The discrete types look promising.

The opamps I have found so far:

1) burson audio
2) sparko labs
3) Dexa

Reading some reviews I tend to prefer the sparko labs.

Please note that I use an amplifier and speaker system that is extremely resolving; an opamp with little body and too much analytics will make the sound balance tip over to cold and tiring, so an opamp with nice colours and some warmth is preferred.

Is there anybody with listening experience with these opamps? Are there other alternatives?

regards,

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@Supersurfer,

Anyone who has heard the Allo.com Katana has heard the Sparkos... they manage to build 6 of them onto their OpAmp board. I continue to be very impressed with the sound of that DAC powered well and will be comparing it with various combinations of the gear from this GB. The built-in Sparkos work well in the Katana and certainly make a significant contribution to what I consider the excellent results I hear in a 5-supply hot-rod mode (5V RPi, 5V DAC & Isolator boards, 5V Microprocessor board, and +-15V Opamp board) using all very good supplies.

Back to use of them on Ian's IVStd board, I have both dual Sparkso and LKS discretes, which my ''tweak guru' said he preferred to the Sparkos, though in an entirely different circuit, so the comparison may not hold on Ian's board. I've been running several configurations of the items from the GB and listening to a VERY good stack right now. I'll report more in this thread, likely later this weekend. AND I hope to compare the Sparkos and the LKS in the next week or two, along with the recommended upgrade monolythic opamps OPA1612 and OPA1662 and another I've liked in the past, the OPA1642.

Greg in MIssissippi

P.S. @wealas, pity the Weiss don't fit, the reviews are very positive! Also some other discrete alternatives are discussed in this thread, though I haven't looked at them to determine if they'll fit on the IVStd board:

LKS Audio MH-DA003 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@jacklee,

I'm using PiCorePlayer version 4.1.0 which uses the Logitech Squeezebox architecture. My LMS server with my music files is on a separate computer. Driver is the generic I2S one.

I looked at your request, but have no experience with any of that OS/software config.

SORRY!

Greg in Mississippi

I wonder if Ropieee might be an easier solution. Absolutely no Linux knowledge required. It's truly a plug-n-play solution and just simply works! I use it for all my pi end-points. Once you know the IP address of your Pi, there's a very easy config screen that comes up. You literately answer a couple questions, save and reboot. Are you familiar with it? Might be worth considering if you're interested.

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered that at the beginning but decided to go with DietPi as Ropieee does not seem to support Spotify Connect (correct me if I'm wrong) which I need.

@Greg Stewart, @Ian,

I installed piCorePlayer and tried two DAC settings: (can't find a Generic I2S option)
- Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC
- HiFiBerry DAC+

In both cases the situation is the same, i.e., with fifoPi locks on, ESS DAC board locks on both L & R channel light up, but displays "NO INPUT" and no sound output.

At this point I think I may have some hardware issues. I'm thinking since the fifoPi/DAC board both locks on when played a song that suggests data are coming into the boards? But somehow it's not being processed for output?

I also tried resetting via the ESS Controller and during the reset I saw a very brief flashing of sampling rate 96kHz (which is exactly what I was playing at the time) in the display but it reverted back to "NO INPUT" right away.

Please advice if I missed anything or anything else I can try. Thanks!