Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2019, 09:18 AM   #11
simon dart is offline simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
I just assembled one battery supply and have a question: the supply only works when connected to the mains. Is it not possible to use it off the mains as a portable battery supply?
You need external power to run the microcontroller, display, relays, monitoring etc. I think it's kind of missing the point if it was possible to use one of your hard won clean battery rails to do that. However I don't initially see any reason why you couldn't connect an external 12V battery to J5. The current draw needs to be considered though.

Last edited by simon dart; 30th March 2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 30th March 2019, 02:23 PM   #12
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I just assembled the setup. Need some advice on setting up the dac hat in dietpi.

I installed dietpt, roon-bridge, and raspotify. The roon device is visible and can be selected:

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

However when I play a song via roon there is no sound output. Roon shows the song actively playing and there is no error reported. Perhaps I need to configure the DAC hat somehow?

Any pointers are most appreciated!
Old 30th March 2019, 02:31 PM   #13
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Great thread

I look forward to reading tips tricks and sonic impressions
Old 30th March 2019, 02:34 PM   #14
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
I just assembled one battery supply and have a question: the supply only works when connected to the mains. Is it not possible to use it off the mains as a portable battery supply?
All battery rails are isolated and independent from any other circuit. If using battery to power the board itself, the isolation will be broken thus degrade the low noise performance. That's why I can not design it in that way.

It's an audio power supply, not a portable power supply.

Have a good weekend.
Ian
Old 30th March 2019, 02:55 PM   #15
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post

However when I play a song via roon there is no sound output. Roon shows the song actively playing and there is no error reported. Perhaps I need to configure the DAC hat somehow?

Any pointers are most appreciated!

You need to go to dietpi-config and in the audio section pick to install the drivers for one of other i2s DAC hats. Then restart and the aplyer output should show another card that is what you need to use Roon with.
Old 30th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just assembled the setup. Need some advice on setting up the dac hat in dietpi.

I installed dietpt, roon-bridge, and raspotify. The roon device is visible and can be selected:
I used dietpi-config to configure the sound device to hifiberry dac-plus. It seems to detect the DAC correctly:

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1

Now when I play via roon the fifopi lock light lights up. However the ESS Controller displays "No Input" and there is still no sound.

Any ideas?
Old 30th March 2019, 03:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

This is displayed when playing audio via Roon or Spotify:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2099.jpg (698.0 KB, 931 views)
Old 30th March 2019, 03:58 PM   #18
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is displayed when playing audio via Roon or Spotify:
Hi,

Ess controller displays the real measured signal status. Your OLED shows no signal it means that your RPi did output any audio signal into GPIO. Please confirm your player software is working for the first.

BTW, you did good job assembling the LifePO4 battery cells!

Regards,
Ian
Old 30th March 2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
All battery rails are isolated and independent from any other circuit. If using battery to power the board itself, the isolation will be broken thus degrade the low noise performance. That's why I can not design it in that way.

It's an audio power supply, not a portable power supply.

Have a good weekend.
Ian
That makes sense. Besides a fixed streamer I also want to build a portable headphone streamer, I will use a simple lifepo charge pcb from China for this.

The dac is build and playing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5280ECC8-41AF-40D2-BA82-F7544B1EA45E.jpg (794.7 KB, 920 views)
File Type: jpg 161F6F12-C5E0-4B23-A7ED-769595ECFAED.jpg (729.3 KB, 898 views)

Last edited by Supersurfer; 30th March 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 30th March 2019, 05:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi,

Ess controller displays the real measured signal status. Your OLED shows no signal it means that your RPi did output any audio signal into GPIO. Please confirm your player software is working for the first.

BTW, you did good job assembling the LifePO4 battery cells!

Regards,
Ian
Thanks. I'll post some more photos on the construction process later.

Before I play anything the fifo shows empty and no lock. However once I started playing the fifo locks on (green light). How do I verify if the player is working? There is no error reported and roon seems to play normally, just no sound.

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!