Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2020, 10:50 AM   #1511
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can definitely run FIFOpi with one clock. That clock can be 11MHz.
I would think the preferred hookup would be to connect the clock to FIFOpi and run master clock from FIFOpi to your DAC. I suspect your way will also work, but I know that what I suggest works as that is how I run my system. In my case with 45MHz but same setup.
We know from all the jitter measurements from Ian and Andre that masterclock comes out of FIFOpi without any degradation, so there is no need to connect to both the DAC and FIFOpi.
Old 25th September 2020, 05:41 PM   #1512
Morde is offline Morde  Finland
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I just hooked it up and indeed it works.

I was hoping that with Ian’s FiFoPi I would have gotten rid of the interference coming from the Pi, but no help. Maybe I’ll need to check my power supplies and grounding schemes next.
Old 28th September 2020, 06:04 PM   #1513
diyAudio Member

What are the symptoms of interference from the Rpi?
I think we all agree that cleaner DC to Rpi improves the sound marginally, but its generally pretty good with most basic switching PS to the pi.
Old 30th September 2020, 10:50 AM   #1514
Morde is offline Morde  Finland
diyAudio Member

It has been revealed to me that it might not be the RPi causing my interference since I was able to reproduce it with another I2S source. The interference follows in a way the music signal and can be heard only in more silent parts of the music. E.g. in Massive Attack's Angel song in the beginning of the track the "buzz" rides on the low bass signal.
Old 30th September 2020, 03:37 PM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Ok. Thanks. Good luck tracking it down.
Old 6th October 2020, 09:11 AM   #1516
UMarcus is offline UMarcus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano35 View Post
Hi UMarcus,
I followed your mod of removing all 5 E-caps in your post #1382.
WOW! What a surprise!
The finest details resurface!
Realism emerges!

I did put a Panasonic low ESR cap Of 10,000uF in one of the empty cap spot and it won’t hurt.
I tried 1.5F supercap before but it rendered my RPI unbootable.
I supply Fifopi with LT3042 @ 3.3V using Ian’s pcb.
I also put in a Rubycon PMLCAP of 0.1uF for each clock.

I have both Accusilicon and NDK clocks for comparison.
After 100 hours of burn in time, I think I like Accusilicon a bit more.
Accusilicon is more in the front row while NDK is in the mid row.
I am very happy about this!
Thanks.

It is some time ago since I'm here, but nice to read that this mod seems to be helpful and positive in other systems too
I'm also on the same track by using the Accusilicon Clock instead NDK
This DAC sound amazing in my system. I also suggest to try the different filters of the DAC, it is somehow a possibility to fine tune the sound characteristic in the individual system.

Regards
Marcus
Old 6th October 2020, 10:04 AM   #1517
smooth dancer is offline smooth dancer  Norway
diyAudio Member

@UMarcus

Try UCconditioner (3.3v)before fifopi. I did, and Accusilicon perform much better.
Old 6th October 2020, 11:14 AM   #1518
batteryman is offline batteryman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advr View Post
For me the tda1541a was a bit of a gamble. It was the first time to build a dac/streamer. Pcm1704 was also on the list but using the tda1541a looked simpler to implement. Never regretted the choice.

I have a dual 1541 in balanced, nos mode using Ian's fifo2, clock and I2S to PCM boards and Sowter output transformers.

I've listened to various Cd players from Wolfson 8740 delta sigma (Arcam CD73), BB PCM in a Teac PDH01, Techincs Mash Dac and my own dual AD1862 and dual balanced 1865 (using Ian's boards).

I keep returning to my 1541 dac for reasons I cannot explain.

This week I bought a SU8 Ess9038q2m triple input dac from Shenzen Audio on Amazon and I must admit I like the results for Youtube videos using the optical input from my tv.

HIFI Decoder SMSL SU-8 2ES9038Q2M USB PCM32 768kHz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Its a well built product with built in mains psu, so no wall wart needed but the display is too small for my old eyes.

But will it oust the 1541 or the dual 1865 I am just rebuilding?
Old 6th October 2020, 11:48 AM   #1519
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

That is my expeience too. All those xtalls cchd957: ndk. Of that quality are so close that you faster to tweak the sound by working on decoupling than to go from a littke more expensive one like the accusilon...the gap is more marketing and spec for the brain than real improvment imho. YMMV.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:39 PM   #1520
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batteryman View Post

This week I bought a SU8 Ess9038q2m triple input dac from Shenzen Audio on Amazon and I must admit I like the results for Youtube videos using the optical input from my tv.

HIFI Decoder SMSL SU-8 2ES9038Q2M USB PCM32 768kHz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Its a well built product with built in mains psu, so no wall wart needed but the display is too small for my old eyes.

But will it oust the 1541 or the dual 1865 I am just rebuilding?
I have the SMSL M400, it's very good. The new SU-9 gets highly rated on Audio Science Review also.

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!