Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2020, 02:18 PM   #1441
sfleming is offline sfleming  United States
diyAudio Member

hello. Is there a large improvement from doing this ?
Using Ian's LiFePO4 supply, I don't think I have a way to supply three separate 3.3v to the dac while also supplying 13.2v to the IV board. Are folks doing these 3 separate supplies to the dac all using transformer output?
Sorry for ignorance, I'm really just a solder slinger who likes to play along while the smart guys lead the way
Old 28th May 2020, 04:48 PM   #1442
druidaudio is offline druidaudio  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Serious replay clicks and pops

Apologies for this long-winded post, but I hope that someone amongst my peers can offer any suggestions or insights into a problem I am having with a newly purchased Ian Canada FiFoPi and Transport Pi, which I want to use as a music streamer?
First of all I have to say that SQ is excellent, which is why I would like to get to the bottom of this and the DAC it is feeding into is an Esoteric D-05. I do not have any problems with my normal streamer, which is a Soundaware D100, I am not using Wi-Fi connections, just ethernet from a Synology NAS.
The problem, at is best, is a click sound through the speakers when starting or changing a track, but sometimes it can be so violent, it actually trips the dc protection system on 2 different power amps. If I allow the playlist to proceed from track to track, it is much better, or even absent.

I have tried the following;
OS Volumio and Moode, no difference, although slightly better on the latter when setting the SOX up sampling to 32bit/*, but not a cure. Can happen when changing from 16 to 24-bit tracks, but also going from say FLAC to WAV at same bitrate.
Raspberry Pi variants Pi Zero (+ ethernet HAT), Pi 3 model B+ and Pi 2 model B, no difference, even tried a Sparky SBC, but no suitable driver in Volumio for FoFoPi
Power supplies toroidal and E core transformers, with and without snubbers, both shunt and LDO series regs, no difference.
Casework metal earthed and insulated, no difference
Various SPDIF Cables from Transport Pi to DAC, no difference
BNC and RCA SPDIF outputs from Transport Pi, no difference

So, the only conclusions that I can come to are that there is either a fundamental problem with Raspberry Pi boards, a problem with one of the Ian Canada boards, or some incompatibility with my DAC?

Ian has suggested that it may be an issue with the Raspberry Pi stopping signal between tracks?
Old 28th May 2020, 06:21 PM   #1443
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am far from totally clued up here but please allow me to reply.

@sfleming.
Yes separating the 3 3.3volt rails on the dac has SQ benefits. Granted this is harder with Ian's battery supply as I dont believe you have enough 3v3 rails. I am using an op amp based AVCC supply and LDO for the other 3 rails.

Disclaimer.....I haven't yet listened to my 3 rail modded dac.

@druid.....I did suffer with some nasty pops when changing tracks. Have you tried different sample rates. Or indeed played with the auto mute setting....assuming you have Ian's ESS controller.
Old 29th May 2020, 08:39 AM   #1444
druidaudio is offline druidaudio  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim,
Yes, I have tried different sample rates and I don't use Ian's ESS controller.
Setup is a Pi with FifoPi/Transport Pi controlled by Moode or Volumio, I am not aware that there might be an auto-mute option in either of these distros.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:26 AM   #1445
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What is the clock situation. ? I am not familiar with the transport pi. I do have a ReceiverPi /fifo and dac.

Do you feed an external MCLK from fifo to transport?

Could you try ASYC versus SYNC modes?

Maybe set in software to one particular group of sample rates and remove the other clock as another test?

Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in. I kind of lucked my way out of the pops but dont really remember how...my system is in bits being rebuilt into a chassis so I cant even look into it for you unfortunately.
Old 29th May 2020, 04:00 PM   #1446
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default re clicks on track change

FWIW, I too have a small click/snap when starting and stopping play. It is very small and not so intrusive that it concerned me. What is interesting is I have only recently noticed it and nothing else has changed.
I run Rpi 3b with FifoPi. It feeds Ians I2StoPCM to an external DAC. (TDA1541a)
I do run only one 45mHz clock which is in its own chassis with its own PS. Moode is using I2S to convert all music to redbook. 99% of my music is redbook. I found that with one clock converting hires to redbook yields my best sound.
My guess is the little snap sound relates to the clock start because it snaps at the instant the LED lights signaling clock start.

I realize none of this provides a solution, just some more data to help isolate and fix it.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:31 AM   #1447
nano35 is offline nano35  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I will put some supercaps in.
Here is the diagram I like to confirm with you all.
Hope it is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIFOPI CAP.jpg (102.3 KB, 314 views)
Old 31st May 2020, 12:42 PM   #1448
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

That is how I wired mine. The only difference was I lifted the power pin on the 45 mHz clock and supplied power from a separate supply. Either way it will work well.
Old 31st May 2020, 01:00 PM   #1449
nano35 is offline nano35  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Great! Thanks.
I am excited to do the mod!
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:39 AM   #1450
thefirstdj is offline thefirstdj  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi! I want to clarify something that is not clear for many of us, and it is not explained elsewhere.
When using i2s signal from a SBC you will have some limitations, because of the main SoC.

Raspberry Pi 3: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit
Raspberry Pi 4: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit
Odroid C2: max. i2s PCM 192kHz 24bit
Odroid C4: max. i2s PCM 384kHz 32bit

For DoP (DSD over PCM) you will have to use a capable driver. The generic driver in Volumio / Moode Audio is capable of DSD64. The Audiophonics ESS9028/ESS9038 driver is capable of DSD128. To my knowledge there is no driver capable of DSD256 available.

If you want more than that you will have to use another source, like a XMOS USB to i2s interface capable of PCM768kHz and DSD512.

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!