Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2020, 12:09 AM   #1281
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Ah. OK. Didn't realize you still live in the dark ages of manually toggling switches.
That's been another live on my side. Sorry for the ignorance.

I simply can't live with a DIY system based on "toggle-switches" (for every DC rail!)
or on-system control knobs anymore. No wonder you're leaving it on 24/7.

Enjoy.
Actually only two switches for many power supplies. Such engineering excellence... My music room also has many pot lights in the ceiling all turned all turned on at once with a single wall switch. Right out of the dark ages. It too is not dangerous, and I do not need a manual to turn the lights off.
Old 20th February 2020, 03:42 PM   #1282
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
Typo there, you meant 3a @ 5v
I leave mine on 24/7 too!
Good catch, thanks for the correction.
Old 20th February 2020, 04:17 PM   #1283
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Do they really draw 3A sat doing nuffink?
Old 20th February 2020, 07:44 PM   #1284
MikeyFresh is offline MikeyFresh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Do they really draw 3A sat doing nuffink?

No not at all, though what the actual draw is will depend on what is connected, if you were to have all kinds of USB devices drawing bus power that obviously increases the load considerably.

The RPi foundation has specified use of a 3 amp power supply with the 4B board to allow for some wiggle room. I have booted the 4B using a 2.5 amp supply no problem, even with a USB bus powered DAC connected, there is no lightning bolt icon indicating a voltage sag due to excessive current draw.

If you were going to see that problem it would be during the initial boot sequence, when the most juice is required, or when too many power hungry devices are attached.
Old 20th February 2020, 09:27 PM   #1285
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

3A is a really conservative (high) estimate, I think, but it depends on your setup.
I have a passive (transformer) output stage. With an opamp output you might draw more current.

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!