Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2019, 01:16 AM   #1091
iancanada is online now iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Solution to the ultra capacitor/LifePO4 hybrid power supply:
Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Ian
Old 17th November 2019, 01:29 AM   #1092
unixdeveloper is offline unixdeveloper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
@unixdeveloper

You did great job, much better than my wood base. Congratulations!

There still some ways to improve the sound quality. Hopefully I can post the solution today how to upgrade the LifePO4 3.3V rails to ultra capacitors hybrid power supply. It will be another improvement, especially for the FifoPi clean side. And I can guarante, very easy.

Regards,
Ian
Ian, initially the setup was on a wooden block like yours to make it easy to experiment with different options.

I ran into one issue when I used a CCHD-575 22/24 pair, FiFoPI LED indicators near the OSC were flashing and there was no lock. I assumed the problem was with the clocks. Once I put back the CCHD-950 45/49 pair it started working again . At what situations the LEDs near the clocks flash on FiFoPi?

I didn't have much time to debug that further. I will reflow the clocks and check if they work properly before installing them again.

Regards,
Subbu (unixdeveloper@diyaudio)
Old 17th November 2019, 01:38 AM   #1093
iancanada is online now iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

@unixdeveloper

Normally is the XO adapter soldering issue.

BTW, 22/24 MHz will limit the Fs up to 176/192 KHz

Ian
Old 19th November 2019, 06:03 AM   #1094
yunyun is offline yunyun
Sin Bin

Quote:
Iím working on this comparison test for a while. I'd like to share my results here with you. Sorry for the delay. I could be wrong. Just for you to reference. I picked up these three because they have the same configuration. I could have more reports for others down the road.

#3 eBay 600:10K audio transformer

I bought this pair of 600:10K transformers off eBay. They are not expensive but look pretty decent. I didnít expect too much from them. However the real listening test did give me some surprise. They have all the sound signature of a typical transformer I/v stage. Nature, analog, peaceful and without any additional flavor. I would stack with them if didnít experience the other two. I ran them at my LL1544A transformer I/V PCB with same schematic and same configuration. The only thing is that the footprints donít fit very well. If I have chance to design the transformer I/V II PCB Iíd like to make it compatible with them.

If you have never tried the transformer I/V, I would highly recommend this one as starting point.

#2 LL1544A

My transformer I/V PCB was originally designed for them. I have been using them for a long time before I had the BisesiK transformers. I have to say Iím very familiar with the sound. For me, itís my first transformer I/V that could touch the Ďhigh endí in my heart. Besides all the sound signature of a typical transformer I/V stage, LL1544A has higher sound density and plays music more dynamically. Especially it has a very beautiful mid-high range which makes the music a little sweet feeling. I enjoy listening to my favorite vocal jazz with them very much. I could listen to music for a long time almost forgot I was doing comparison test.

LL1544A I/V stage will suitable for all kinds of music and all kinds of system

#1 Bisesik transformers

I must put them in the first position though they are not the kind of transformer I/V that you can fall in love with them immediately at the first time you use them. However, after two weeks of run in, Iím getting in love with them more and more and for now I almost canít live without them.

If I had only one word to express them I would use the word Ďperfectí. They are not good at certain frequency range but good at all frequency ranges. The low rang could be extended much lower (why they are so big?) than other transformers which feature could be looked upon as common weakness of all transformer I/V stages. So Iím considering maybe I could degrade my speakers from B&W802 to B&W803 because of that. Just kidding! They sound not only with higher density at full frequency range but also play music much vividly. The bigger stage and bigger band you are listening, the stronger you feel about that. If I had another word to use, I would use the word Ďmusicalí. They play all music with emotion. You can feel the whole atmosphere surrounding you. When Iím listening violin with them, I almost couldnít help cry. The Bisesik transformers are suitable for all kinds of music. But if you really like the classical music, my advice is that sticks with this one no need to consider any others.

I had a pair of Japanese Oyaide AR-910 pure silver XLR cables. They are pretty decent but I always feel the high range sounds a bit strange when I use them with other I/V stage. However, with Bisesik transformer, everything becomes correct and precision. When I use this configuration listening the sound track of film Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl (I like the big band), I was almost shocked. The huge band and the whole stage were surrounding me and I can hear each hidden details. All instruments are playing vividly together at their positing. I can feel each of them. This feeling could be even better than I was in a real theater.

Though I put Bisesik transformers in the first position, but I wouldnít recommend them for you if your system is not good enough. The better system you have, the more advantage of these transformers you can feel.

My system for listening test

Transformer I/V for test

1. ES9038Q2M DM DAC HAT (with three independent 3.3V voltage rails)
2. ShiledPi
3. FifpPi with Pulsar 90.xxx MHz clock
4. ReceiverPi
5. RPi3
6. LiefPO4 power supply with ultra capacitor conditioners at both 5V RPi rail and the 3.3V FifoPi clock rail.

The rest of the system
1. B&W 802 D2 speakers
2. PASS XA160.5 amplifiers
3. PASS XP-10 per-amplifiers

Ian
Maybe just because Bissik transformers are sold in pairs, pairing has been done beforehand, but LL1544A is bought randomly so that the sound is poor.

In the coupling coefficient, bandwidth, etc., the 600:10K transformer is not as good as 10K: 10k. 600:10K transformer is not suitable for the analog output of the DA chip.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:20 PM   #1095
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunyun View Post
...LL1544A is bought randomly so that the sound is poor...
Don't know about that, but reportedly LL1544A amorphous core and other models using that core type have audible 4th-order harmonic distortion. It has been said that despite the manufacturer's claims of superiority and the high cost, the core material isn't the best sounding.
I personally haven no opinion on the transformers, just reporting what someone else described to me.

Last edited by Markw4; 19th November 2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:45 AM   #1096
terry22 is offline terry22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@unixdeveloper

Normally is the XO adapter soldering issue.

BTW, 22/24 MHz will limit the Fs up to 176/192 KHz

Ian
Hi, I think Iím a little lost about clock frequencies and FS.
I thought that 22/24 MHz were the suitable frequencies for DSD512(512FS?)
Is that right?

Btw what is the use of 90/98 MHz clocks?

Sorry for the noob question.
Old 20th November 2019, 11:40 AM   #1097
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In the FIFO instruction manual page 6.

GitHub - iancanada/DocumentDownload: Download documents of Ian's products
Old 20th November 2019, 12:11 PM   #1098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Thank you for the info!
Old 20th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

So , it looks that to play DSD512, there is choice between 45MHz and 90MHz.
For playing only DSD512 signal, do you know if there is differences(jitter,etc...) between these two clock freqs?
Which options would be the best?
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:35 PM   #1100
sebbyp is offline sebbyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I installed OPA1612's into a soic to dip adapter, whilst not paying attention to the onboard adapter.

I used these, which I had a few off: https://uk.farnell.com/aries/lcqt-so...-ddd7-00001003

They won't fit properly into Ian's IV stage, regardless of force. What adapters should I be using or could I just change the pins?

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...Hide this!Advertise here!