Raspberry Pi and multi-channel DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all,

it appears that there are no more that two multi-channel DACs for Raspberry Pi. Since I need 4, or preferably 6 channels, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a (digital) signal feed two Raspberry Pis, each having a two channel DAC?

Also, does Raspberry Pi 3+ have enough power to run BruteFIR?

Kindest regards,

M

It depends on your needs. I know BruteFIR has been run on a raspberry pi, but couldn't tell you how many taps were achieved.

What you're asking can be done, though the exact steps I don't know. If it were me, I would setup something to send the signal over an ethernet switch to both PI's and then let them process it. (make the source a "host" that both PI's can log into essentially, similar to online music streams).

If that doesn't work you might have to make/find a signal splitter. Say another PI that takes the one signal over Ethernet and sends it through two usb to the other two pi's. (or input signal on one pi, and copy to second pi, if done right can be synced).

EDIT: Just saw Yatsushiro's answer. If that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, there are USB soundcards you could use too I believe.

In my truck I use a usb 7.1 channel Diamond audio device with a raspberry pi. I wrote a 4-way stereo 8 channel IIR LADSPA plugin for the crossover. I use mpd to play flac files through the plugin to create the 8 outputs which feed the amplifiers. I built two 4-channel stepped attenuators and an 8-channel simple op-amp preamp which take the outputs from the usb audio device and adjust volume and channel levels.

I don't read much about shairport-sync, but it is my method of choice using the Rpi. It's just a streaming receiver so it's more reliable than many of the other methods. It sits on the network just waiting, works with any OS and plays back gaplessly (which I must have). I do not know of the amount of receivers possible to connect in sync at once, but I do know it will work as a crossover with one Rpi as mains-hi and another receiver as a sub. No fancy DAC or setup and can run filters.

Greetings all,

it appears that there are no more that two multi-channel DACs for Raspberry Pi. Since I need 4, or preferably 6 channels, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a (digital) signal feed two Raspberry Pis, each having a two channel DAC?

Also, does Raspberry Pi 3+ have enough power to run BruteFIR?

Kindest regards,

M

There is an affordable 8-channel DAC hat for the Pi that extracts the HDMI audio data - there is a recent thread about it here:
2-in, 8-out DSP platform using the Raspberry Pi + HATs

I was able to get it up and running with not too much effort and time spent. Check it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.