2-in, 8-out DSP platform using the Raspberry Pi + HATs

Yes the mini to standard HDMI connection will be an inconvenience.

This card attracted me because of its small size. Can you suggest any other other cards that might work? Wanted to keep box count down, so prefer not to have another stand alone box in the system.

Yes the mini to standard HDMI connection will be an inconvenience.

This card attracted me because of its small size. Can you suggest any other other cards that might work? Wanted to keep box count down, so prefer not to have another stand alone box in the system.

I don't know of any other in the "HAT" format. The Monoprice Blackbird model I suggested earlier in the thread is not much larger than a Pi enclosure. You could just stack them on top of each other. The size will be able the same as with the Suptronics HAT. The Parts-Express version of the Blackbird costs even less than the Suptronics HAT... the only disadvantage is that the HAT can also power the Pi. With an add-on HDMI extractor you have both the Pi PS and the extractor PS lying around.

would a 7.1 channel usb sound card work, any specific reason for a HDMI sound extractor?

As I explained in an earlier post, in order to minimise box count i need a compact cpu and multichannel card to run a 2.2 system with DRC, one that can be installed inside the enclosure of a preamp with a far bit of free space.

This card seems to be the best fit for the job, hence the interest. I’m open to other options, of course.

Indeed it looks like these are back in production!

This is a super deal on a pretty good quality 8-channel DAC that is designed to be paired with the Pi 3B/B+ and can be used on the 4B with an HDMI adapter cable.

Now available on Ebay, too:
X6000 7.1 Channel Hi-Fi Audio Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi 3 B / 2B / B + | eBay
Note that you must power the board using a 5V 4A (or more) DC power supply, either via the barrel jack connector or the MOLEX 2-pin connector (next to it on the board in the image below). NOTE that the power supply connected to the HAT powers both it and the Pi (via its GPIO pins).

s-l1600.jpg

My cards arrived yesterday. They are Rev 1.2; the cards in the photos are Rev 1.1. They still use the ESS DAC. Hope this Rev update does not cause incompatibilities.

An odd point about shipping. The tracking number the vendor sent showed the package coming directly from China. Yet, when I actually got the package, it came via USPS from a San Francisco address! Tracking info and actual delivery were completely different. Don’t understand how they gamed the tracking system.

Yes, the vendor does state the need for a 4A power supply.

Last edited:
Perhaps little off-topic but the question is - is there ANY board converts HDMI to 6 or more I2S outputs? The reason for the question is I don't like idea to be dependent on A/D converter which is implemented as in board from CharlieLaub (X6000 7.1 Channel Hi-Fi Audio Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi 3 B / 2B / B + | eBay) post. Having multichannel i2S output we can use whatever converter we like (eg set of 3x my favourite AD1865)

I'm sorry if I missed it... what's the difference between X6000-8ch and X6000K-7.1ch?

is the LFE channel in the 7.1 filtered (LP) or full?

The 7.1 ch board will output up to eight separate channels. There is no filtering.

The 8 ch board give you four identical stereo outputs (you get four copies of two channels, which is not all that useful IMHO).

My cards arrived yesterday. They are Rev 1.2; the cards in the photos are Rev 1.1. They still use the ESS DAC. Hope this Rev update does not cause incompatibilities.

An odd point about shipping. The tracking number the vendor sent showed the package coming directly from China. Yet, when I actually got the package, it came via USPS from a San Francisco address! Tracking info and actual delivery were completely different. Don’t understand how they gamed the tracking system.

Yes, the vendor does state the need for a 4A power supply.

I asked the Ebay seller and he (?) confirmed that the boards for sale are also rev 1.2 even though the pics show rev 1.1. The boards I purchased previously (well over a year ago) are also rev 1.2.

I have experienced this kind of shipment, too - one that comes from China but bears a USA return address. It's probably a freight consolidator in the USA that is acting as a middle man for the shipments. If you have to do a return, it will be much easier to ship to a US address than to send to China!!!

My boards don’t have the 1M94V-0... markings that are shown on the ebay boards. Do the original production boards from 2 years ago have these markings?

I see the X6000 8 channel board was mentioned a few posts ago. Visually the X6000 7.1 and 8 channel boards look the same. Is there a way to tell them apart?

The 7.1 ch board will output up to eight separate channels. There is no filtering.

The 8 ch board give you four identical stereo outputs (you get four copies of two channels, which is not all that useful IMHO).

@CharlieLaub - do you know where to find detailed technical description of this card? I am trying to understand is somewhere on the multi-pin connector are available separate i2s 7 channel signals?

@CharlieLaub - do you know where to find detailed technical description of this card? I am trying to understand is somewhere on the multi-pin connector are available separate i2s 7 channel signals?

I doubt that there is any technical info that is available. You could try and look up the datasheets for the parts used. I can make out that there are numbers on the large IC but I can't read them without a magnifying glass.

My boards don’t have the 1M94V-0... markings that are shown on the ebay boards. Do the original production boards from 2 years ago have these markings?

I see the X6000 8 channel board was mentioned a few posts ago. Visually the X6000 7.1 and 8 channel boards look the same. Is there a way to tell them apart?

My version 1.2 boards do not have those markings either.

Honestly, I only have the 7.1 ch version. On the web they both look the same. But when you plug them in and probe the capabilities one will show 8 channels and the other 2 channels. I guess you have to trust the seller!