2-in, 8-out DSP platform using the Raspberry Pi + HATs

I have to power cycle the board after the raspberry has booted otherwise it's muted. It should be software. Looking into it.

Fixed it, now it works on every boot, no more power cycling needed!
I am still powering the board and the Pi4 independently, aka each one gets its own power and they are not stacked, the only interconnection is the HDMI cable.
I prefer it this way, as the RPi4 stops nagging about being undepowered when using its own power supply.

The ignore_edid line is a must when using this board with moode/latest kernels. Add to your /boot/config.txt:
Code:
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

As soon as I remove that line it starts muted. When I add it fixes it.

My actual working /boot/config.txt, pretty sure some of those lines can be deleted, but I am posting so you see the other hdmi audio lines I use:
Code:
#disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_blanking=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=0
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=on
#dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtoverlay=disable-bt

Thanks for the tips on the capacitor. The wiring you're talking about is the same as I've settled on, for the same reason.

As far as I could tell when I was looking at this, the Suptronics board passes through the EDID from whatever is plugged into its HDMI socket. This makes a lot of sense for negotiating video resolution, but if you don't have anything plugged in, it tells the Pi that there is no audio support.

If you plug in a monitor with speakers to the Suptronics board, everything should work perfectly (at least, that's what I remember).

An Update.

Emailed Suptronics in May, was advised the revised hat would be on the market in June. A follow up email in June did not elicit a reply. A more recent email was also ignored.

I hope I’m wrong, but at this point it appears that an updated X6000 is unlikely to be released.

I needed a couple of extra X6000s but couldn't find them anywhere. So at the suggestion of the vendor who supplied my cards I wrote to Suptronics who have advised me that a Pi4 compatible version of the X6000 card will be available shortly, perhaps as soon as May. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I
I

I'm hoping I haven't killed my Pi 3 B.

I installed the X6000-7.1 board as described. Disconnected the 2.5a regular Pi power supply and instead only powered the piggy backed X6000 board, HDMI jumpered with the required 5v/4a power supply to the X6000.

Powered on - Pi 3 red LED - no green flashing / no HDMI signal.

So - removed the X6000 completely and tried to power the Pi 3B using regular 2.5a supply.

Same issue.

Was booting fine before to Raspberry Pi OS.

Any ideas? Do I have a faulty X6000?

..... hang fire my PC can't recognise the MicroSD card. thinking it was on its last legs. Will try a new one

Last edited:
Ok - drama averted. Dead MicroSD.

Next problem - HDMI device did not show via aplay -l

As noted by phofman - the latest Rapberry Pi OS contains the 8 channel setting. I don't think recompilation of kernel is required (although I followed the steps anyway).

I was left though with only a headphone device, albeit 8 channels (confirming the stock kernel changes) as shown:

Code:
root@dac:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

I have assumed this is the default Pi audio jack output and not HDMI.

To enable HDMI - I added these options to the EXISTING /boot/cmdline.txt as noted in one of the previous posts....but I set enable_compat_alsa=1 (not zero), as shown.

Code:
snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=1

PS: Make sure you add this to the end of the existing line in cmdline.txt (not a new line)

On reboot I get the following (HDMI device hw:0,1 added). Unsure if I want / need the others.... onto testing!

Code:
root@dac:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 3/3
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 2/2
card 2: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 2/2

speaker-test output:
Code:
root@dac:~# speaker-test -Dhw:0,1 -c 8 --format S24_3LE --rate 192000

speaker-test 1.1.8

Playback device is hw:0,1
Stream parameters are 192000Hz, S24_3LE, 8 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 192000Hz (requested 192000Hz)
Buffer size range from 1920 to 5461
Period size range from 1920 to 5460
Using max buffer size 5460
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1920
was set buffer_size = 5460
 0 - Front Left
 4 - Center
 1 - Front Right
 7 - Side Right
 3 - Rear Right
 2 - Rear Left
 6 - Side Left
 5 - LFE

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to resurrect this old-ish post, but I'm trying to find a way to use a raspberry pi 2B to receive multichannel audio from a TV (HDMI 7.1 or even just Dolby Digital 5.1 for all I care) and output it via a USB soundcard. I first thought this board could be the solution, but returning to the thread, i realize the title says 2-in! Is it not possible to extract more than 2 channels from the HDMI? Afaik HDMI can carry 8 channels via LPCM? If not the case for this board, any other solutions, you good people have seen or been using? Possibly some USB soundcard/Interface or so?

Thanks in advance should there be any replies, would be much appreciated

well since this thread has been bumped, does someone here still use this daily in multi-channel e.g. multi-way active crossover?

I use it on a rPi4 with Moode (camillaDSP, active 3way stereo etc) and I get a random issue I thought I fixed long time ago, but I guess I was wrong:
sometimes it boots and the channels are scrambled/distorted or an output is not playing.
In that case, turn it off, unplug, turn it on and it's fixed for a few boots.
It happens randomly but not always, like one out of 5 boots.

Unsure if HDMI settings or kernel (rPi side) or the board itself.
Not asking for a solution, just curious if it happens to you that sometime it boots and doesn't play an output or plays corrupt sound.
this is my actual configuration, but it's like this since maybe 1 year. Don't know if all the edid stuff is overkill nowadays, it was needed years ago. Will try to remove them.
Also it's quite a complicate thing to debug... that's why I'm procrastinating :rolleyes:

cat /boot/cmdline.txt
Code:
net.ifnames=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=6ac66af3-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0
cat /boot/config.txt

Code:
[cm4]
otg_mode=1

[pi4]
hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
hdmi_force_hotplug:1=1

[all]
disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_blanking=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=0
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=on
#dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtoverlay=disable-bt

Sadly, the successor to the X6000 was never released. Did anyone try to contact Suptronics?
Hi i had some mail contact with suptronics but they told me tha'ts there will be a new version for RPi4, but nothing new.
I think there is a HDMI licencing problem.
But there is the CPY AU-11SA-4K22 HDMI Audio De-embedder / Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0b Muilti-Channel DAC which works also fine (but at higher price :().

@challenge

I never need the edid statement for hdmi output. What hdmi interface are you using?
I had never such problems with HDMI output. I used the x6000 and the Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0b Muilti-Channel DAC.
With the evolve I had to adjust the edid parameters of the evolve and since then it runs without problems.
But at the time I use usb output to the topping dm7 DAC

oh should've told it, I'm talking about a suptronics x6000 7.1ch with rpi4.
Didn't know the CPY and Evolve products existed!
yeah maybe I have to play with the hdmi conf settings in the /boot/config.txt, those were needed years ago when multichannel wasn't supported/flawless in the rpi kernel.
I just saw there are other options too like hdmi_channel_map and hdmi_stream_channels that could be useful. Will try next days and report.

Last edited:
By the way since this thread popped up again, I have a couple of the X6000 HDMI audio extractor HATs and associated power supplies that I would like to sell since I am not using the RPi platform any longer and they are still a nice option for audio via HDMI. I also have a couple of Pi 3B+ that the HAT was designed for.

If anyone in the USA wants to buy any of this stuff, please drop me a PM and we can work it out. I will eventually list them in the Marketplace I guess.

Reactions: 1 user