rPi power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to put a pi in a case.

With a HifiBerry Dac+ pro.

For which I will make a super-regulated linear PSU.

I want to use an off-the-shelf PSU for the Pi itself. Computers don't need audiophile PSUs.

Now, wall-wart SMPS are available from good brands, and (in the UK), RS (a premium electronic vendor) will sell me a 2.5A supply for £6.00

But I'd like to put the pi and the two PSUs all in the case, with a single cable-and-plug.

So I want a chassis style (is that the right term) SMPS, not a wall wart style.

(I'm in the UK btw)

Any suggestions?

BugBear

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what a pi is, but I still can suggest try powering from the same PC power supply. I had a home brewed Class D amplifier powered from the ATX power unit from where the PC is powered.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 331
BugBear,

I built something close to what you have described. Follow the link below and you may find useful information for your project.

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer
Thank you; the keywords from your last post in that thread:

5V 5A Adjust Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply

led me straight to what I was looking for.

BTW, are you quite sure that case you built was robust enough? :)

BugBear

That is an old towel, originally cobalt blue, that lost its original hue after many washes. When I took the pictures the case was under an Aven magnifying lamp which uses compact fluorescent bulbs. I believe the pink color is caused by the incomplete color spectrum the lamp provides.

As I mentioned in that post, using a ready-made plastic case for the Raspberry Pi was problematic as the weight of the network, SPDIF and power cables kept knocking the unit down from the shelf. I wanted a case with enough heft to stay put and, trust me, the one I built does just that.

:)
And will also provide 100% protection in the case of a full scale alien invasion. :)

I appreciate this is not an either/or question, but I plan to provide some of the mass to hold my unit in place via transformers.

BugBear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.