Cannot get 5.1 sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

Sorry if I didn't post this on the correct site.

This drives my crazy for a few days... I have a home cinema I can't reproduce 5.1 sounds from.

First of all this is my hardware:
- Pioneer VSX-321 5.1
- Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (it supports 7.1)
- PCI sound card Ewent 7.1 (Ewent EW3752 7.1 Geluidskaart met SPDIF)
- Windows 10 Pro

I updated both drivers and I tried the motherboard connected with a HDMI cable. I configured the speakers to reproduce 5.1 but subwoofer and central speaker don't work.

Same thing with the sound card but this doesn't have 5.1 mode, just 7.1:

I could try with analog cables but prefer digital.

Things I tried:
- Connect the right speaker to central one to check it wasn't broken.
- Connect the home cinema to a TV and no problems
- Different sound cards (motherboard and PCI)
- Different cables (optical and HDMI)
- Different configurations

I understand S/PDIF doesn't have more than 2 channel but it should be fine with the configuration on the right (also I can hear sound from speaker behind me so atm I can hear from 4 speakers, not just 2).
Also next optical connection (you can see 2 on that sound card) doesn't have any inner light as the other one and I'm not sure what is this connection for.

Any ideas?

I do not understand your connections. Do you use HDMI from MB to AVR? If so, it has nothing to do with that PCI soundcard listed, it is a different soundcard built into the graphics card in your CPU.

Didn't get that either.
Graphic card has nothing to do here. The HDMI is to the motherboard (which is option A) and I also have an extra sound card on a PCI (option B).

A: HDMI
B: optical

But I think I found a problem: the AV system has a test mode (didn't know about this till now) I can't get sound from central speaker. So this problem is not Windows related or to the rest of my hardware.

I tested this with different sound configuration modes on my AV but with no luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.