Recommendation for an Old MultiBit DAC that can be Purchased Today in 2019?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

A few months ago, when I was trying several different DACs,
abraxalito recommended me to listen to a TDA1387 based DAC.

That recommendation was great, this was the one that I chose to stay with, from all the ones that I purchased.

I enjoy it a lot,
and after seeing how an old, MultiBit DAC is different than what we have today,
I would like to listen to more like this.

I have no need for high resolution DACs, so the older ones are great for me.

The question is,
which ones (from the older ones) are recommended?
And how can I buy them, today in 2019?

Have I missed the train, or there is a way to get other old ones that sound good?

Thank you all

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
better to read this that getting blind

... imho you're missed something here ! You're not listening to a price. And this one is a very famous & musical one and cheap for what it is. In fact it could make you winn a lot of monney instead collecting sxxt to try to find a jewel (as I told you in your previous thread). You need a tda1541A chip though, some parts and a 45 bucks for the bare pcb.
And do you really believe you can get a good sounding dac with less than 100 bucks at ALIBABA tobao ???? Nobody did a better diy dac for the TDA1541A chip imo and it is certainly one of the best off the shelf with Zanden and AMR... so not as expensive you believe ! You're not on a budget you said, but purchase philosophy should be not more important than listening music... Listening to a good dac is better than listening to several bad dac ;) Well just my opinion.

But it's a DIY dac... not a chinese ready made.

Last edited:
hirscwi:
Thank you very much, will check it.

chips666:
Should I buy this?
L1543 DAC four parallel TDA1543 fever USB decoder | eBay

It's TDA1543 based, and just 21$..

The maker of it included a potentiometer on the board he created, as can be seen in the images he included,

T27f81XyxaXXXXXXXX_!!13795664.jpg

and he writes:
Operating point precisely calculated, exclusive design TDA1543 Vref fine tune the resistance!
TDA1543 If you want perfection, the output resistor must be accurately calculated, the most critical, Vref resistance must be precise to ensure that the output resistance at the midpoint of a static voltage output voltage swing

and also:
Adjust 2K adjustable resistor (Vref), so Aor and Aol voltage of 2.8V many computer's USB insufficient voltage 5V, then Aor, Aol final set voltage calculated using the formula:. 1.8+ (VDD-1.8-1.2) / 2,
where VDD is the measured voltage USB output,
in short, the principle is set Aor, Aol is the output voltage amplitude of the vibration midpoint!
Finally, note that voltage is a ground voltage, that is, the black pen then USB or RCA jack housing shell can be.

Is this issue familiar to you with the TDA1543?

Last edited:
Thank you chips666.

I completely agree with you.

That's what I did so far.
I did a first round, half a year ago, of about 8 DACs,
and now, doing a second round, of other DACs.

BTW:
1/ Buy second hand cd-players for cheap from the list
When you buy a CD Player, how can it help you with the computer?
It has some digital inputs?
Or it's only useful for taking the chip apart from it, and building something around that chip?

For TDA1543 you could check out the old Peter Daniel thread Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

There's a simple schematic by Uncle Leon on post 237 which can easily be hard wired.

The power supply components are pretty easily available.

The separate low noise power supplies for CS8412 analog and digital and separate power supply for TDA1543 are key in getting a nice sounding output. Also very important is letting pin 7 on the DAC chip float as per EC Designs' implementation - this cuts out a lot of noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.