Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

headless linux server
headless linux server
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
merlin2069er is offline merlin2069er  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default headless linux server

What's recommended for a headless linux server? I'm looking at daphile, and hopefully can get it up and running without too much of an issue.

I'd also like to control it with my android phone.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:47 PM   #2
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Shairport sync is the best solution I've found. Run it as read only on the pi (personal credit lol) and eliminate corruption issues. Stream to it from any device.
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

Running my pi with a full Ubuntu distribution. Wasn't hard to set up, and works great. It's been up for a couple years now.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:20 PM   #4
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If you're looking at Daphile then presumably you're running X86/amd64 hardware...
In that case another worth trying is Snakeoil OS
Snakeoil OS

If you're running a Raspberry Pi then MoOde/Archphile/Pi-Core Player/Snakeoil OS/Volumio/Diet-Pi/ etc etc etc
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If y'all have any need for a UPS running the Raspberry Pi, check out mine. Need testers..

YouTube
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What's recommended for a headless linux server? I'm looking at daphile, and hopefully can get it up and running without too much of an issue.
I've been using Daphile for more than five years. It is very easy to setup and use.
There are detailed instructions and a FAQ on the website.

Quote:
I'd also like to control it with my android phone.
I have tried a couple of apps but have settled on Squeezer, an open source app on Google Play.
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'll test it.

Will it have enough juice for the raspberry pi, an external usb hard disk & dac ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
If y'all have any need for a UPS running the Raspberry Pi, check out mine. Need testers..

YouTube
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, I attempted to start with the daphile installation, but couldn't get passed the bios password. I'm trying to repurpose some computer hardware. I think I'll need to pull out the battery or try flashing the bios some how.
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
I'll test it.

Will it have enough juice for the raspberry pi, an external usb hard disk & dac ?
Yes
I have 2 versions. One with some headers for buttons, relay and panel switch, but at the moment it has to be pushed onto the RPI 40 pin header. Another version that is showtime ready has no expansion headers will do all the same filesafe actions and can either be soldered directly to the 40pin header (preferred) or soldered to a removable header. Main reasoning is the wide variety of options and setups one may prefer. I can provide the wires for the one with headers, but would be best for you to choose the accessories for them. The power button need only be an on/off switch. I can provide the part number from mine if wanted. Any 5v DC relay for that part and any momentary buttons for the actions.
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
Yes
I have 2 versions. One with some headers for buttons, relay and panel switch, but at the moment it has to be pushed onto the RPI 40 pin header. Another version that is showtime ready has no expansion headers will do all the same filesafe actions and can either be soldered directly to the 40pin header (preferred) or soldered to a removable header. Main reasoning is the wide variety of options and setups one may prefer. I can provide the wires for the one with headers, but would be best for you to choose the accessories for them. The power button need only be an on/off switch. I can provide the part number from mine if wanted. Any 5v DC relay for that part and any momentary buttons for the actions.
How much are they? I've got a nice little case for my pi.
Send them both, and I'll test them both.

headless linux serverHide this!Advertise here!