Rpi and Berry Digipro +....what am I missing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Rpi and Berry DAC+pro +....what am I missing?

I lucked upon the above combo complete with nice steel box and genuine Raspberry smps wall wart.

Using Volumio, set up assumingly correctly as I2S...it sounds crap. Just subjectively crap, no measurements I'm afraid. Using it to stream Spotify, my phone, tv and set top box all sound better, even if I don't use my external Cambridge DAC Magic.

I know volume control can steal SQ but have tried various settings there. I don't understand all the different filters so have left alone there.

I read that this Hat dac isn't the best out there but is it this bad? I haven't yet got it to see my upnp so can't try it with lossless flac files.....thats another story to resolve!

I am keen to embrace the pi thing but don't want to invest too much more in it if the inherent recipe isn't working for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Well you have just set me straight in one respect.... the link isn't what I have. I have a DAC so I apologise for misinformation.

I have a DAC+ pro.

I have been outputting from the stereo rca to tpa3255 and 7498. Both sound awful. Kind of a phasey weirdness that gives you ear and headache straightaway.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I have the Hifi Berry DAC+ standard connected to my amplifier via the RCA outputs using Volumio and it sounds fine. You may want to check the playback options in Volumio, maybe there's an option that is enabled that shouldnt be. If you want some additonal tone controls you can install the simple equaliser plugin.

As Volumio and Moode are basically the same same under the user interface the sound quality will be the same. The operating system has no impact on audio quality.

No need to spend money on expensive DAC boards, the DAC+PRO is all you need.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
My set up is..

Output device : Hifi Berry DAC plus

I2s dac : on

DAC model : Hifi Berry DAC plus

Dsd play mode : dsd over pcm (dop)

Dsd auto volume : off

Volume norm. : off

Audio buffer :8mb

Buffer :20%

Volume mixer :hardware

Mixer control name : digital

Start up vol :100

Max vol: 100

Steps: 1

Vol curve : normal

Mpd vol : on

Audio resampling : on

Target bit depth : native

Target sample rate : native

Resampling algorithm: high

Joined 2018
Paid Member
In the output device there are options of hdmi, stereo Jack or the dac. It does list as dac+ pro in the drop down. I think it abbreviated to just dac+ once the drop down has closed
But granted....in the DAC type drop down there is no dac+ pro, just dac+.

I haven't tried the earlier suggestions yet, but I am considering also trying a different dac model but with same chipset. Such as an allo boss.

You will have to go into the configuration page via the gear looking icon in the top right. Hit "Configure", then hit the "system" button. From this page you should be able to turn on your UPNP renderer. Also you can configure your spotify on that page too. If you have premium spotify you can change the quality to 320kbps.

Hope that helps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.