RPi-Piano 2,1 i2c display

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the Allo Piano 2.1 on a Pi3B the gpio available gives i2c connections for sda and scl.... there is a gnd and 5v too but the i2c backpack is 3.3v for the Pi gpio compatibility.

I have cut the backpack traces so as to feed 5v to the 20x4 lcd and so need 3.3v for the backpack operation.

Can I supply the 3.3v from another supply ? gnds tied together.

Or does the 3.3 need to be Pi derived ?
In which case can I use an Ams1117 to drop the 5v from the allo hat and gnd to give 3.3v for the backpack...?
5pcs DC/DC 4.5V-7V to 3.3V AMS1117-3.3V Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator | eBay

can I use an Ams1117 to drop the 5v from the allo hat and gnd to give 3.3v for the backpack

To answer myself...yes.

Here is the Pi and Piano 2.1 dac running 3 x i2c screens using an Ams1117 to drop the 5v from the allo hat.

Each screen has it's own unique i2c address and different software for player stats, song info, and spectrum analyser.

Attachments

• screens.JPG
    screens.JPG
    465.9 KB · Views: 217
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.