TDA1387 DAC Chips, from Philips or NXP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you may have gotten it the wrong way around - the 'PhiDAC' was described as 'much worse' but then again that was before the film caps were added on the PSU. PhiDAC isn't really a basic build, it has bells and whistles like low impedance supplies and a passive anti-imaging filter before the I/V stage.

The output transformers were built by me on very cheap ferrite cores so in terms of parts (cores, wire) they added under $2 to the BOM. That's excluding labour of course :p The actual BOM cost of the parts in the DAC is under $3 (its $5 with the labour for assembling the kit) so that's a $5 BOM DAC even with the trafos.

Last edited:
impressive, reading on I see they are there for isolating from PC noise, surely the distortion would be a heck of a lot lower if they were omitted after dealing noise issue, using optical input maybe?

IME with Bisesik's trafos, they really do add a lot of colouration, ''softening'' the sound, and those are supposed to pretty decent in terms of THD as trafos go.

Last edited:
You could go for optical input to reduce the PC noise yes. Having isolation at the outputs though helps with the common-mode noise from the DAC's power supply (not just the PC's), you'd still have to contend with that even when using Toslink. Subjectively I don't hear distortion through the trafos, probably though its quite measureable at lower freqs (where trafo distortion is worst).

Common-mode power supply noise applies to any DAC which is mains powered. Battery powered DACs avoid it. Its nothing to do with the DAC chip itself. Switching supplies generate much more CM noise than traditional transformer-based supplies which I reckon is why they've gotten such a bad rap.

abraxalito,
I remember you said you like to solder SMD yourself,
yet I should tell you about this:

Seeedstudio has a nice sale now, in which they give free PCB Assembly.
You pay for the PCB Printing (5$), and the components,
and get in addition to it free PCB Assembly for upto 5 pieces.

As they write:
Free Setup Cost
Free Assembly
Free Shipping

If you had something waiting, this is a good chance..

Free Assembly for 5 PCBs

out of 10 Philips TDA1387s I received there were 4 variations.

All seem like original parts i.e not remarked , with one looking like its probably just a lot older

Attachments

• IMG_8397.jpg
    IMG_8397.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
This is amazing :)

You should order 20 more, and then group the 30 that you got according to the variation..
You can then see if there are noticeable differences in sound between each of the 4 groups..

After seeing your picture I went to check what I received,
and it seems that mine are all identical, with "NXP" on the side, like the right chip in this picture:

TDA1387.jpg

Maybe mine are not recycled, but completely new?
Hopefully they are not fake..

What ebay seller did you order from?
Mine are from "elehouse2011"

Last edited:
I ordered from hkutsource, they all looked brand new.

There are some more philips version from another seller otw, and some NXP types too, Will see what they are like.

the sound from raw NOS output, just I/V resistor, is actually very nice. You can hear is not much like the DS DACs, in a good way too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.