PC to MiniDSP 4x10HD - aes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the best way to get my PC (with music server software) connected to a MiniDSP 4x10HD? I'm needing a PC-express card that seems to only be found in recording studio places and offer things like Lynx or RME. This seems like way overkill to spend upwards of $700 for a card that I am only going to use 2 channels for.

Can any one of you recommend a way for me to get low jitter digital signal to my MiniDSP unit? AES, Toslink, and SPDIF Coaxial are all options. There's a super old RME card that would have been awesome but it's very old and the last drivers are from the Windows XP time period.

Please help me pick a sound card for my PC (running Windows 10). Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As far as I know it doesn't have and doesn't require a clock input. My analog I/O equipped SHD does not support clock I/O but that is the extent of my experience with MiniDSP gear.

Look for XMOS solutions or maybe even something using the Italian Amanero.

Amanero XMOS Digital Interface USB to I2S/ IIS Coaxial Fiber HDMI AES EBU Output 885777658520 | eBay
+
Amanero Technologies
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282985922568

---------

USB Digital Interface to Coaxial SPDIF/Optical/AES XMOS IIS I2S with Display | eBay

An inexpensive xmos solution:

WL XMOS U8 Asynchronous USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF 192K Upgrade PC sound card | eBay

Most modern interfaces support out to at least 192K so you would need to make sure that sample rate is compatible with the plug in rates you are using (48/96K)

Most of these devices use SPDIF pulse transformers for isolation so ground loops between PC and other hardware should not be an issue. (You can use AES or SPDIF I/O as you prefer) I'm not a big fan of standard optical cables.

You'll need to investigate further, these are just unvetted suggestions.

As far as I know it doesn't have and doesn't require a clock input. My analog I/O equipped SHD does not support clock I/O but that is the extent of my experience with MiniDSP gear.

Look for XMOS solutions or maybe even something using the Italian Amanero.

Amanero XMOS Digital Interface USB to I2S/ IIS Coaxial Fiber HDMI AES EBU Output 885777658520 | eBay
+
Amanero Technologies
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282985922568

---------

USB Digital Interface to Coaxial SPDIF/Optical/AES XMOS IIS I2S with Display | eBay

An inexpensive xmos solution:

WL XMOS U8 Asynchronous USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF 192K Upgrade PC sound card | eBay

Most modern interfaces support out to at least 192K so you would need to make sure that sample rate is compatible with the plug in rates you are using (48/96K)

Most of these devices use SPDIF pulse transformers for isolation so ground loops between PC and other hardware should not be an issue. (You can use AES or SPDIF I/O as you prefer) I'm not a big fan of standard optical cables.

You'll need to investigate further, these are just unvetted suggestions.

Most interesting concept.
So the USB interface board and the Output board are bought separately and soldered together? Very interesting.
Looks like it would be an easy little kit to put together.

If you're looking for a project, that would be good fun.

I suggest to just purchase a Topping D10.
That will provide an excellent USB to S/PDIF conversion and also an excellent DAC to boot. (All at a very reasonable price.)

Dave.

You're the man Davey! I have been trying to sort through all the years of this type of thing and have been getting super confused, as there are so many variables. This looks like exactly what I need.
Now what would be great is if I could find a similar deal but with a headphone out.
Which it looks like the DX7s would fit the bill quite nicely.
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.