Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

hi Jurgen, what is the default source to the input in the Xover pack. I was able to get the xover installed on by Rock64 SBC. I also installed shairpoint-sync to turn the SBC into an airplay receiver.

Here is my chain: spotify from phone thru air play to SBC via shairpoint-sync---> SBC + Soundcard + Xover rack --> mutli channel audio for active crossover with parametric EQ

when i activate the config file...the music output stays constant / doesn't change based on the filtering etc.

I am guessing that since i am doing the airplay into the SBC its the input for the xover rack but i could be totally wrong too.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Hi Jürgen

i tried again. This time i stopped the shairpoint-sync, loaded the xover rack by hitting the green play button, the square button turned red..... i could see that it loaded the sinks etc on the console. Restarted the shairpoint-sync but same results...no sound from the multichannel output ports of the sound card

i also opened alsamixer to see what source was it using...default is the rockchiprk3328 but i couldn't change it to the creative sound card through that utlility. I did go head and made the changes to a config file in alsa...based on some googling ..to default it to the creative sound card but then the only port that works is the headphone port (input to the sound card)...no other multi channel output port provides sound making me believe that alsa is not sending the sound to pulse or still the default input to the xover rack is not getting the sound.

any thing different that i can try or what i can share to help trouble shoot. Thanks

New version and more announcements

Just released packaged and released version 1.57 which only has a minor bugfix: the command line argument parser options were finally fixed and help texts are now correct:

Code:
usage: pulseaudio-crossover-rack [-h] [--file [FILE]] [--apply] [--exit] [--debug]

optional arguments:
  -h, --help     show this help message and exit
  --file [FILE]  .paxor file to open
  --apply        if a file was loaded, immediately load the crossover modules
  --exit         exit after loading modules (only applicable if --apply was given)

On a different note:
I decided to keep the branch of Pulseaudio Crossover Rack with LADPSA plugins alive. There's currently no reason to kill it as it takes very little effort to maintain it and it seems very very stable at this point. And it might still be useful to some of us... So it will stay alive, at least for the foreseeable future.

So I decided that the successor will be named Pulseaudio Crossover NG :D

Hi Jürgen

i tried again. This time i stopped the shairpoint-sync, loaded the xover rack by hitting the green play button, the square button turned red..... i could see that it loaded the sinks etc on the console. Restarted the shairpoint-sync but same results...no sound from the multichannel output ports of the sound card

i also opened alsamixer to see what source was it using...default is the rockchiprk3328 but i couldn't change it to the creative sound card through that utlility. I did go head and made the changes to a config file in alsa...based on some googling ..to default it to the creative sound card but then the only port that works is the headphone port (input to the sound card)...no other multi channel output port provides sound making me believe that alsa is not sending the sound to pulse or still the default input to the xover rack is not getting the sound.

any thing different that i can try or what i can share to help trouble shoot. Thanks

When debugging an issue always go step by step!

1. Which distro do you use, does it have a speaker test built in to the pulseaudio config panel? If so, can you send out sound via multichannel there?

2. did you try with a different app - vlc for example. There you should be able to see/set the pulseaudio sink it uses.

Please try these things first and if they work we will try to get shairpoint sync running.

Hi Jürgen

do agree on going step by step while debugging. Wanted to start with first principle thinking and get the basics right. Some good news - i was able to get the xover rack to work with my creative 5.1 sound card. It works when i play the music file from the sbc, i just used some media player that was natively available.

not so good news, after i installed the shairpoint-sync...and do air play into the sbc, i can get sound from the headphone socket like before but not from the mutichannel ports of the sound card. So i know the issue is just with the sharipoint-sync and or its settings.

the distro i am using is Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic LXDE Desktop. Link below
ROCK64 Software Release - PINE64

i started doing some research on the shairpoint-sync; by default it is compiled with alsa as it engine. I thought, may be if i can compile it with pulse-audio then may be it may work. So i removed all the old files per the instruction, and re-compiled shairpoint-sync with pulse-audio. Unfortunately the same results. The xover rack works just fine when i play natively from the SBC but when i air-play into the SBC through shair-point thing break

there is some documentation on the shair-point....it has multiple configuration options. Unfortunately this is where my already very limited knowledge/ understanding goes for a toss. As always any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to share/ provide any diagnostics or output if needed.

GitHub - mikebrady/shairport-sync: AirPlay audio player. Shairport Sync adds multi-room capability with Audio Synchronisation

my original compilation of shairpoint-sync
Code:
./configure --with-alsa --with-avahi --with-ssl=openssl --with-systemd --with-metadata

my revised compilation of shairpoint-sync
Code:
./configure --with-pa --with-avahi --with-ssl=openssl --with-systemd --with-metadata

Hi Jürgen

your hunch was correct. With some additional help i was able to figure out that shairport-sync was running as a super user vs the the account that i was using for the pulseaudio crossover rack.

When i started shairport-sync with the user credentials ...things started to work as intended.

I did hit another roadblock .. the distro wouldn't recognize the WIFI adaptor when all the other distros that i have used have had no issues with it. The issues with the other distros was that i could never get the entire thing to work as designed...so it was almost going back to the drawing board once again

This time i started with dietpi as the distro and i was able to replicate the overall design....load shairport-sync, configure Pulseaudio crossover rack etc.

The story wont end if there were no issues though....in the current setup ie dietpi distro, i hear cracking sound when i use pulseaudio crossover rack. This happens irrespective of whether i play a file natively on the SBC or airplay through wifi into the SBC. There is no such crackling sound when i take off the Pulseaudio crossover rack.

What could be the issue and any suggestions to take care off it. Thanks

Last edited: