Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

I'm a little torn on this subject.

On the one hand I could add the possibility to include other LADSPA plugins and then you could use existing effects plugins in the chain. Cons: No FIR filtering, probably never as I won't have time to implement a convolver any time in the near future.

On the other hand the whole LADSPA plugin idea turns out to be not that great as pulseaudio sometimes gets the hickups when a lot of filters are inserted and the cpu is not the fastest. This seems to have gotten a lot better in pa 14.x though (13.99 is just a prerelease of that). So I thought about switching to camilladsp as backend which is way more stable, monolithic and it has FIR filters.

Should we do a vote on this one?

I've been looking into camilladsp myself, but was set back a bit by the

"uncomfortabel" UI. If the functionality of CamillaDSP was combined with the UI of your software, I'd find little excuses not to use it. At the moment I'm using ecasound for legacy reasons... Main thing is that it will run on a RaspberryPi!

The GUI is what attracts me to paxor, I have no opinion about what goes on behind IT. I will say that LADSPA plugins and pulseaudio have worked welk for me and my hardware. I haven't been following the Camilla DSP thread, so I don't know what it is based on and whether it runs well on Raspberry Pi's. It's likely my media PC will continue to be pi's, and even likely my future desktop PCs will also be pi's.

As I mentioned - kind of yes, if you want to incorporate LADSPA effects plugins. Those are out of the game completely when using camilla DSP. IMO no drawback at all, After all it's pulseaudio crossover rack and not pulseaudio effects rack :D

So far the consensus seems to be to go with camilla. I'll be thinking about a 2.0 then... No promises as to how and when though ;)

I just upgraded my old laptop to linux mint 20.1 and I'm happy to report that now the pulseaudio 13.99 fix found it's way upstream. First time that mint ships with a pulseaudio version that has hq resampling with soxr enabled and doesn't crash when using pulseaudio crossover rack.

Highly recommended upgrade!

Thanks for the praise :)

Currently I don't plan to add any effects. It's a crossover software not an effecs processor :)

Which effects are the most important for you?

For me personally is the bass enhancer effect. :yes:
(perfect for bluetooth devices or subwoofers systems)

FIR would be nice, but not really mandatory.
Even totally fine if one can just work with "FIR blocks" (load in data from 3rd party programs like rephase)

Other very welcome effect is some kind of compressor.
Ideally both being able to fit anywhere in the crossover chain, but I am aware I am being very picky right now :D

Maybe it's possible just to implement VST plugins instead?
Just brainstorming.

Last edited:
The GUI is what attracts me to paxor, I have no opinion about what goes on behind IT. I will say that LADSPA plugins and pulseaudio have worked welk for me and my hardware. I haven't been following the Camilla DSP thread, so I don't know what it is based on and whether it runs well on Raspberry Pi's. It's likely my media PC will continue to be pi's, and even likely my future desktop PCs will also be pi's.

Same here, I have been following it for a while, but lost my interest since it doesn't seem to get anywhere from an user point of view (no offence btw!!!!)

It's easier for me to set up a DSP in SigmaStudio otherwise.
Just the implementation with a Pi is super nice :)
Only wish it was easier to get muli-channel out on a Pi