Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

hello @Tfive

First of all thanks so much for your contributions towards audio....i was looking at a cross over/ DSP capability potentially headless like the pi (i am still trying it but cant get past hacking the kernel :)) to avoid being tied to a computer to play music and came across your software and wanted to give it a try.

I converted one of my old laptops to double boot on ubuntu (i think 20.04 LTS) & windows. I was able to load Pulsecrossover as well. The question i have is that can i use the HDMI from the computer to use the 8 channels and do my crossover/ DSP.?

I haven't tried connecting an external sound card but will try it tonight to see i can just do the DSP. Once again - Appreciate a lot your help and guidance. Thanks

I can say ahead of time that Ubuntu 20 and distributions based on it ship with a pulseaudio version which has a bug in it that prevents paxor to run. Sad to tell you that you should downgrade first. As you will have to reinstall anyways I'd like to recommend Linux mint 19.3 mate which has nice tools to setup the audio outputs correctly. Beware that later mint versions have the same bug! (Based on Ubuntu 20.x)

is the best way to install linux mint is to boot again from the USB thumb drive and select Linux Mint (assuming that its an option) and have it automatically erase ubuntu

As you're dual booting you have to be a little careful not to erase your windows installation in the process. Don't know how intelligent the mint installer is in such a situation, you will have to try.

Tfive: is there perhaps a ppa with a fixed/upgraded pulseaudio package? Where specifically is the problem? Thanks.

I don't know. My spare time is mostly dedicated to developing hardware at the moment so I did not put any effort into researching the bug. Considering how little interest there was fixing the prevailing bug with ladspa sinks I don't think it would go any better this time.

The symptom is that pactl just dies with a protocol error. Let me see if I can fix this and generate a workaround real quick...

Edit, I was about to reply something completely different in the last line, while i was tinkering around with a vm here with mint 20 and here we go :)

Last edited:
OK, turns out that my vm with mint 20 just has yet another bug: pactl just doesn't work.

An hour work later: I switched to pacmd all around just to discover that the old bug I remembered is still there: a load-module module-combine-sink (used for splitting the signal) just completely blocks pulseaudio's socket. the process still runs, but the socket is dead. I tried to give pulseaudio time to settle between commands as I suspected some kind of race condition but that didn't help either.

Sorry guys, no fix today.

New version 1.53 and helpers for building fixed pulseaudio 13.99.*

I released version 1.53 yesterday which uses pacmd instead of pactl everywhere. This is a minor fix but should have been done in the first place as pactl is intended for usage by end users, pacmd is intended for scripting.

---

I also made a small gitlab repo with helper scripts to build a fixed pulseaudio 13.99.* version on debian/ubuntu based distributions here: Projects * Jurgen Herrmann / pulseaudio_13.99_sink_fixes * GitLab. It should be used like that:

Code:
git clone [URL="https://gitlab.com/t-5/pulseaudio_13.99_sink_fixes.git"] [url]https://gitlab.com/t-5/pulseaudio_13.99_sink_fixes.git[/url] [/URL] 
cd pulseaudio_13.99_sink_fixes
./build.sh
./install.sh
./hold.sh
./clean.sh
Use the unhold.sh if you want to receive (possibly broken) updates for pulseaudio again.

The full info is in the README in the repo.

It would be very helpful if someone affected could try it out and report back.

The bug has bee fixed on the master branch of pulseaudio. I don't have a clue how long it will take for distrubtors to pick up this fix.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to enable source packages in your package sources manager. I attached a screenshot how this looks in linux mint MATE. The menu entry is called "package sources" there. This might differ from distribution to distribution, but i guess you will get the concept.

Attachments

• package sources.png
    package sources.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
@Tfive Thanks...i was able to find the source packages and once enabled everything worked fine from a code loading.

I think i followed the right procedure (the GUI is pretty self explanotory and also read thru the instructions / theory)...i do have one question though....when i insert the output module how do i route it to the various channels in the sound card ....when i add the output module and select my Creative 5.1 sound card...i always see front left and front right. Is there something i am missing?

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

@Tfive thanks once again. I am using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I was able to go to the sound card setting and change it there to the soundcard. I was doing in the Pulseover GUI which was the confusion. Once i changed it in the sound card i was able to see all the 6 channels...front left & right, rear left and right and front center. I will try replicating my Xover and DSP with it later in the evening

On a side note, i was trying to install Pulsecrossover on my RK3288 based SBC. I have Armbian distro on it. When I tried to install directly "sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-crossover-rack" i get the following error

rock64@rock64:~/PaXoverRack$ sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-crossover-rack
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pulseaudio-crossover-rack

when i try to install it through the source - i got the following error

rock64@rock64:~/PaXoverRack$ python3 pulseaudio-crossover-rack.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pulseaudio-crossover-rack.py", line 13, in <module>
from PyQt5 import QtWidgets
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5'

Thanks