Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

Mediacenter+crossover with Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - QUESTION

Sorry Guys it I ask dumb question or one which was answered here already but the chain is already 74 pages and it's really hard to read all swiftly. I address question @Tfive as an author or whomever else did already this I want to ask for: I would like to create media centre computer with multichannel DAC (MiniDSP 8 channel streamer + 3x AD1865 NOS DAC - all DIY as I am engineer of electronics).
How do I imagine the system is: Kodi Media Center looped back to the Pulseaudio Crossover Rack by Tfive, which sits in autostart, and via multichannel streamer I2S signal goes to HighEnd DAC such as AD1865 chip based and then to multichannel D-class amp.
Will it do the job? Can the Tfive software be run automatically at the start of the system with always the same, predefined, settings (filter set + adjustements) AND run in the background??
PS. Some as 2 years ago I manage to do the system like that running Ubuntu as described here: Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff but I found it not-user friendly to configure and use. When I have seen today the Tfive piece of software it rise my hopes very high again. So - again - will it work as I imagine?

Last edited:
5 parametric that I just posted about in another thread works fabulous on my machine, the Pulse Audio EQ worked great for a while for me but crashed a few times I would really like to have the compressor working in it. well so I wait until they fix it, meanwhile here is the link to the parametric EQ, I like it a lot!!

Pulseaudio Parametric Equalizer :: T5! DIY Audio Software & Hardware

jer :)

Yes it starts up with the system as default on if it is on when you shut it down and do a reboot.

I don't use Kodi but Imagine it works the same, as it is just basically a DE running under the very some OS you are using.

Yes you can set several Presets with whatever name of your choosing yes it runs in the background and is inserted in the path of whatever your streaming device may be and you can choose what your default is.

In the screenshot below you can see that I have two videos playing one is straight through from my soundcard and the other is diverted through the EQ to my output device (soundcard).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706_184519.png
    Screenshot_20200706_184519.png
    117 KB · Views: 134
Yes, The T5 is inserted into the path from the source in this case Google chrome and looped back into the soundcard, I don't have any other device hooked up at this time so I have not tried using a USB soundcard yet, I can make one up using my one of my STM32F4discovery boards that has worked in the past as an output device, but I am sure that it would work just fine, I hope.

Sorry Guys it I ask dumb question or one which was answered here already but the chain is already 74 pages and it's really hard to read all swiftly. I address question @Tfive as an author or whomever else did already this I want to ask for: I would like to create media centre computer with multichannel DAC (MiniDSP 8 channel streamer + 3x AD1865 NOS DAC - all DIY as I am engineer of electronics).
How do I imagine the system is: Kodi Media Center looped back to the Pulseaudio Crossover Rack by Tfive, which sits in autostart, and via multichannel streamer I2S signal goes to HighEnd DAC such as AD1865 chip based and then to multichannel D-class amp.
Will it do the job? Can the Tfive software be run automatically at the start of the system with always the same, predefined, settings (filter set + adjustements) AND run in the background??
PS. Some as 2 years ago I manage to do the system like that running Ubuntu as described here: Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff but I found it not-user friendly to configure and use. When I have seen today the Tfive piece of software it rise my hopes very high again. So - again - will it work as I imagine?

Yes, it works rather flawlessly. I'm using the MCHStreamer with the MiniDAC8 for 8Ch out as well as a Focusrite Scarlett as ADC for external sources.

Linus see's PAXoverRack as a virtual sink (PaXoverRack.Input) so all applications can output to PaXoverRack to be processed.

@DarpMalone - can PaXoverRack.Input be set as default device? I want to make sure that also audio coming from web browser (let's say Chrome) will be played via crossover. Or differently speaking - to make sure that entirely ALL audio from the system will go via crossover. The other case I can accidentally destroy the tweeter, agree?

@wlodek - it is the default device. I am running Rack on my computer (still Ubuntu 18.04) for months without any issues, it is 100% reliable. You can set it static and disable udev-detect, but there is no really advantage, contrary some sound GUI programs would not work.

ad KODI - it does not come with Pulseaudio, does it?

@xorcz Kodi is using default what you have in system. So it "see" pulseaudio when installed. Up to now I used get rid of Pulseaudio staying only with Alsa layer as I was afraid of famous Pulseaudio resampling issue. But to use software we discussing here I will be forced to use Pulseaudio anyways. So answering your question - yes Kodi is using Pulseaudio without any issue

@DarpMalone - can PaXoverRack.Input be set as default device? I want to make sure that also audio coming from web browser (let's say Chrome) will be played via crossover. Or differently speaking - to make sure that entirely ALL audio from the system will go via crossover. The other case I can accidentally destroy the tweeter, agree?

Yes, cofigure PaXoverRack as the default sink and all system sounds will pass through your x-over (including external sources from your ADC).

Re: Destroying your tweeter, you should insert a good quality capacitor in series, sufficiently below the crossover point.

Yes, it works rather flawlessly. I'm using the MCHStreamer with the MiniDAC8 for 8Ch out as well as a Focusrite Scarlett as ADC for external sources.

Linus see's PAXoverRack as a virtual sink (PaXoverRack.Input) so all applications can output to PaXoverRack to be processed.

Why would you want to avoid resampling?Just use a high quality resampling algorithm like soxr in hq/vhq and let pulseaudio run at your preferred sampling rate.

Well since I play from computer only HQ FLAC files I don't want any software to alterate stream. In other words I would like to make sure playback will be bit-perfect
To have bit-perfect playback no upsampling or downsampling must be done in the signal path. Am I right?

Building Pulseaudio with SOXR-Support is described here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-...sign-implementation-linux-44.html#post5877576

Regarding bit-perfect Playback: There's no such thing anyways if you have any kind of filter inserted that will "mess up" the bit-prefectness simply because it HAS TO alter the bits in order to function ;) You might as well do these calculations at a proper sample rate and sample format (I still recommend float32le as it's also used by the ladspa plugins).

Building Pulseaudio with SOXR-Support is described here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-...sign-implementation-linux-44.html#post5877576

Regarding bit-perfect Playback: There's no such thing anyways if you have any kind of filter inserted that will "mess up" the bit-prefectness simply because it HAS TO alter the bits in order to function ;) You might as well do these calculations at a proper sample rate and sample format (I still recommend float32le as it's also used by the ladspa plugins).

You right. I wasn't thinking about it that way..... Common perception is that resampling is evil incarnated but you made me thinking about and now i see you are right

I still would have to be convinced that you can hear resampling artifacts from a proper resampling algorithm. Up to now I never could hear anything. not even with the lesser speex-algorithms in decent quality setting. Other's might have different opinions on this topic.

Just wanted to stress the fact that with DSP you can never have bit perfect playback at all. It just flew out the window the second you touched DSP :)