Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

There is no simple answer to this question, it depends on the sampling rate that you intend to use - higher sampling rates require more CPU power. And of course also on the number of filters you will be running. You will simply have to try it on the hardware you're planing to use... RAM should not be an issue though as the filters require very little memory. Your reports are welcome!

Linux Mit is what I use myself and it is easily upgradeable, so you should try that first instead of a fresh install. Unfortunately pulseaudio crossover rack needs a fairly recent pa version to work and of possible I want to avoid debugging errors with old pa versions...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Upgrade finished, I did some tests and maybe have a bug report. When I try to create a mono crossover with a dual channel soundcard, the program totally freezes and the only way to continue is to restart the PC.

I did as follows: Inputs front-left and front right split into two branches: upper - LR-hipass - Output front-left and mixed down to mono; lower - LR-lowpass - Output front-right, mixed down to mono.

I have no problems, when I run a simple stereo lowpass or highpass. The program is actually really cool, I tried changing the lowpass frequency in realtime and it worked nicely. Thanks for sharing the program!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think it will be the same cause as mine - when I upgraded to the latest version of Linux Mint, the error went away. Actually, I could not insert any module at all. Tfive suggested that this is related to the pulse audio version - do you have the latest one installed?

Tfive, I have added a picture of the configuration that crashes the program.

Attachments

• PACRErr.jpg
    PACRErr.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 232
I think it will be the same cause as mine - when I upgraded to the latest version of Linux Mint, the error went away. Actually, I could not insert any module at all. Tfive suggested that this is related to the pulse audio version - do you have the latest one installed?

Tfive, I have added a picture of the configuration that crashes the program.

Please send the .paxor file. Just to be clear, this still happens in latest linux mint?

Here is the file that will make the program hang.

As I already exptected this crossover file works fine on my computer. If I add parameter linking between the two filters I can shift the crossover frequency between left and right channel in real time. Of course I had to change the output device as the one stored in the file does not exist on my laptop.

Btw.: The GUI is completely independent of the actual DSP filtering which is done by pulseaudio in its own process completely in the background. So the GUI should never be able to crash the complete os. The pulseaudio daemon might be running at elevated priority and on a system with realtime kernel might be able to crash it, but linux normally should prevent this, too!

So can you please recheck, if this is reproducible at your side? If so, does the machine really freeze completely? Can you switch to console 1 (<Ctrl>-<Alt>-<F1>)? Does the mouse cursor freeze? Maybe somone else could chime in please and also test this file?

Last edited: