Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2019, 08:33 PM   #551
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Usually pip is for python2 (2.7?) while pip3 is for python3. If you install library with pip for python2, it will not be available for python3 since it is basically a different language. Ugly big mess in python :-(
Old 4th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #552
dave4 is offline dave4
diyAudio Member

Cheers, so would I be better reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch?
Old 5th December 2019, 06:05 AM   #553
diyAudio Member

Reinstalling OS is the windows way. The python2/python3 libraries are installed to different locations, independent of each other. Just install them for python 3 (pip3).
Old 6th December 2019, 09:26 AM   #554
dave4 is offline dave4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Reinstalling OS is the windows way. The python2/python3 libraries are installed to different locations, independent of each other. Just install them for python 3 (pip3).

Ahhh, I didnt see your message until I reinstalled Linux Mint 19.2 MATE.

It STILL gives the same errors though and cant install ZODB.

I did however see the following errors during the repository install

Code:
rr:10 ftp.cixug.es tina Release
  Could not connect to ftp.cixug.es:80 (193.144.61.75). - connect (111: Connection refused) [IP: 193.144.61.75 80]
Reading package lists... Done                                                  
E: The repository 'http://ftp.cixug.es/mint/packages tina Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
 N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Is this relevant? Could anyone help me solve this?

As my linux knowledge is limited I don't really understand what else to do.
Old 6th December 2019, 10:56 AM   #555
dave4 is offline dave4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... The python2/python3 libraries are installed to different locations, independent of each other. Just install them for python 3 (pip3).

phofman, I'm not altogether sure what you meant by libraries so I have installed PIP3 as follows -

Code:
q@q:~$ sudo apt install python3-venv python3-pip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
python3-pip is already the newest version (9.0.1-2.3~ubuntu1.18.04.1).
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python3-venv python3.6-venv
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7.388 B of archives.
After this operation, 44,0 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu/archive bionic-updates/universe amd64 python3.6-venv amd64 3.6.9-1~18.04 [6.180 B]
Get:2 Index of /ubuntu/archive bionic-updates/universe amd64 python3-venv amd64 3.6.7-1~18.04 [1.208 B]
Fetched 7.388 B in 0s (48,8 kB/s)        
Selecting previously unselected package python3.6-venv.
(Reading database ... 346184 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../python3.6-venv_3.6.9-1~18.04_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python3.6-venv (3.6.9-1~18.04) ...
Selecting previously unselected package python3-venv.
Preparing to unpack .../python3-venv_3.6.7-1~18.04_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python3-venv (3.6.7-1~18.04) ...
Setting up python3.6-venv (3.6.9-1~18.04) ...
Setting up python3-venv (3.6.7-1~18.04) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
I used the instructions from this website - Installing pip/setuptools/wheel with Linux Package Managers — Python Packaging User Guide

Is this what you meant? If you could show me exactly what I need to do I will be very happy!
Old 6th December 2019, 11:22 AM   #556
diyAudio Member

By libraries I mean the packages installed by pip.

So no you have pip3 (pip for python3) installed. Since your error log complained about missing wheel, I would also install package python3-wheel.

Then you can try installing the packages required for paxor, using pip3

pip3 install ZODB

I am no python dev, just this procedure usually worked in my rare cases of using python.
Old 6th December 2019, 11:49 AM   #557
dave4 is offline dave4
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for your explanations and swift reply!

That worked perfectly and paxor has started, thanks again for all your help!
Old 6th December 2019, 12:09 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

Congrats. And you have learned the principles at the same time.

Python3 has brought lots of useful features (python2 is a very ugly language, python3 just ugly :-) ), but its incompatibility with python2 (neither backward nor forward compatibility) causes huge mess in the python ecosystem as well as in linux distributions. Some tools assume the default /usr/bin/python symlink is python2, the newer ones expect python3. The years-old mess will stay for more years to come, lots of projects are still python2 only (e.g. the wonderful audio server mopidy).
Old 7th December 2019, 09:38 AM   #559
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some tools assume the default /usr/bin/python symlink is python2, the newer ones expect python3. The years-old mess will stay for more years to come, lots of projects are still python2 only (e.g. the wonderful audio server mopidy).

Yes, we should stop talking about "python" and always be clear use "python2" and "python3".

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linuxHide this!Advertise here!