Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

So its been a while since i posted but wanted to report back. First, Jurgen is a super great guy and very helpful! And a great bit of software here with exceptional support.

But, bottom line - you won't get PaXoR running on a Raspberry Pi version prior to the ARM64 (64 bit) Architecture machines. And Jurgen sure tried. It was fun and i made a friend.

So, i dropped the Pi B+ and moved to a Pi 3 B+ (64 bit) and everything just worked. Will also be trying a Pi 4 8Gig later.

However, i do have a new/next problem.

I have the exact same HDMI de-embedder that DarpMalone has (hope i have his attention now, cuz i bet he already knows what is wrong...). A "HDMI Audio Extrator & LPCM 7.1" he mentions on post 1003 ( Link below). When i run Speaker-Test -C4 with a 2 way crossover configured, i get a little bleed thru on the "other" channel. in other words, for example, I get the "highs" on the "lows" channel, only significantly quieter. But more as a consequence, i would be sending "Lows" to my tweeters. Probably not a good idea.

Any ideas?

Link; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...1;62.72;-1;-1@salePrice;CAD;search-mainSearch)

Sorry for the almost dup post, but his is just a better description of my problem (late and tired yesterday…).

To summarize, when i run a 2way crossover i get the intended signal on the channel just as i expected.

BUT i also get an attenuated version on the other channel from the same side. if i am sending lows to front right, i get attenuated lows on the right rear when i am testing with speaker-test. Same for the left side.

of course I don’t want to send even attenuated bass to my tweeters!

i am running the latest raspian 64bit.

Just noticed that you said that this happens when you run speaker test. I'm kind of a rookie with Linux but I believe believe speaker test runs on the Alsa layer, below pulseAudio so it's sending signal directly to the outputs (bypassing your crossover). Are you getting the same bleeding when you play music from your audio application, outputting directly to PAXOR?

Thanks Darp!

i don’t understand fully the relationship between alsa and pulseaudio.

i suspect there is still a relationship between speaker-test and pulseaudio. jurgen’s software sends its configuration to .config/pulse and when i run speaker-test i DO get the crossover function i desire.

so this experiment has NOT highlighted anything wrong with paxor or anything linux. Rather the problem was my understanding of speaker-test! I have assumed speaker-test was just cycling thru each output channel. Rather it is playing what would play thru your speaker(s). if you, for example, sent a signal to front right.

With paxor in place and a 2-way crossover, should result in the right front getting the full low frequency signal on the right front AND the attenuated low frequencies that would remain after crossover processing on the rear right. Just like my analog crossover does.

…you learn something new every day…

THANKS ALL for your assistance!

now for some tuning and testing.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I got a WYSE 3040 for free. It is quite poweful, but the disadvantage is it has only 8 G of fixed drive. I was able to install Lubuntu, but when I tried to run Paxor, it failed due to zero space on the disk (the error message was something like could create temporary folder or so, google lead me to checking the disk space). I think there must be a way around it since the minimum requirement for Lubuntu is 2G drive and the system was running and not complaning about low disk space. Anyway, which distro would be the best for running PAXOR on this thin client? I did some minimal Debian installations before, but I found it a bit unfriendly to noobs like me.

Currently trying to go through minimum Ubuntu install, but not sure I will succeed with that.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The minimal Ubuntu (maybe not the smallest version) installed with 2.5 GB free. An PAXOR is running fine there. But I found out, that most probably I cannot make a M-S matrix there (output L+R and L-R). Is that true? Maybe it is possible using some trick I have not realized. L+R is easy, L-R and R-L I can make too (thanks to the channel swap feature), but not both at the same stereo output.

The minimal Ubuntu (maybe not the smallest version) installed with 2.5 GB free. An PAXOR is running fine there. But I found out, that most probably I cannot make a M-S matrix there (output L+R and L-R). Is that true? Maybe it is possible using some trick I have not realized. L+R is easy, L-R and R-L I can make too (thanks to the channel swap feature), but not both at the same stereo output.

You can add a two outputs that play to the same soundcard output channels and the signals to these are then summed. HTH.

EDIT: seems I answered this question already and had a ready made example on my disk:
ms.png

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I was successfully able to use a HDMI 7.1 extractor like DarpMalone with my pi4 running PaXoR and a 2-way crossover for some diy speakers I picked up second-hand last year (Proac 2.5 clones). It worked quite well and sounded fine. No detectable noise. Though I ran into some gremlins with the display HDMI going out erratically when using one of the HDMI outs for the extractor and one for a monitor. That was weird.

Nevertheless PaXoR worked well as long as I didn't try to sync with other players in my Squeezebox/LMS system. It was easy to dial in the crossover and tweak to ear. The synchronization worked better with my ESI Gigaport eX (and the display didn't go out using USB for the audio out).

Overall lots of fun. Great for testing/tweaking. (y)

Not an answer re; the Dell WYSE but more “minimal hardware”…. Offering it here because 8g seems plenty.

Been running a 2-way on a Pi 3 B+ (1 gig) for a week now. Desktop gets laggy but that happens also without paxor ui or any sound being processed. 30-45% cpu when running sound thru a 2-way crossover. Still running whatever bit depth and hz as installed and no performance optimizations. (Working on the remote control UI now. Mopidy opinions?)

i’ll probably hit a mem or cpu limit before I’m done, but i started this experiment on a Pi B+ (512M). (It ran but hit 32bit problem, so didn’t prove anything except it doesn’t work.). I have a Pi 4 8G waiting.

did you expand your swap space? I thought that was part of the install but maybe not if u just start from a downloaded .iso.

@Tfive Yes, this is the post I was referring to (the SSS matrix with adjustable coefficient). Now I have a stereo sound card and would like to have L+R on left and L-R (or R-L) on right channel for the M-S matrix. I did not find out a way to do it.

Actually a stereo sound card will no suffice, you will need at least four channels as pulseaudio has some serious limitations when using LADSPA plugins. They can always only be applied to a pair of stereo channels.

did you expand your swap space? I thought that was part of the install but maybe not if u just start from a downloaded .iso.

My general recommendation is "don't use swap space at all". Reason being it will serously slow down your system once it runs out of RAM and most of the time the system will become as unuseable as without swap space anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @Tfive , firstly thanks for a great piece of software!

I do however have a problem with it, which is due to my elementary knowledge of Linux Mint :confused:.

Since you recently updated the program I have been unable to open it, I have tried using the desktop shortcut,
the link in the applications menu and also running the file I "think" it is pointing to - /usr/bin/pulseaudio-crossover-rack

None of these open the program but I can see the related inputs and outputs in the sound preferences menu.

Could you or anyone reading this assist?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply, does this help?

q@q:~$ /usr/bin/pulseaudio-crossover-rack
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/pulseaudio-crossover-rack/pulseaudio-crossover-rack.py", line 16, in <module>
from WindowClasses.MainWindow import MainWindow
File "/usr/lib/pulseaudio-crossover-rack/WindowClasses/MainWindow.py", line 20, in <module>
from DataClasses.XoverFile import XoverFile
File "/usr/lib/pulseaudio-crossover-rack/DataClasses/XoverFile.py", line 8, in <module>
from DataClasses.XoverLinkwitzTransform import XoverLinkwitzTransform
File "/usr/lib/pulseaudio-crossover-rack/DataClasses/XoverLinkwitzTransform.py", line 6, in <module>
from DataClasses.XoverFilter import XoverFilter
File "/usr/lib/pulseaudio-crossover-rack/DataClasses/XoverFilter.py", line 1
from future import annotations
^
SyntaxError: future feature annotations is not defined
q@q:~$