Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

Understood. Can't support everything. PA in Raspbian will undoubtedly catch up to 11 at some point.

I am thinking towards some linux with the right PA, your software, and then Kodi on top. See how that works out. I find Kodi uses the rpi hardware exceptionally well. Outputting Kodi over HDMI to my AVreceiver alone was worth the price of one rpi to me, would be fantastic to have EQ and even crossover control over sound.

Well, installing kodi is ususally a no brainer using team-xbmc's kodi repository on any debian based linux distro.

Archlinux has PA 12 for rpi, does PA 12 work?

I did not try it myself, in theory it should work with any pulseaudio version supporting ladspa-sinks. One note regarding arch linux though: there is no build for it available from me as I never used arch before. I don't know if there's any means of using debian packages on arch though... In the end you can always use git but you said you're not that comfortable with the console, in which case I'd suggest to stick with a debian/ubuntu based distro.

I did not try it myself, in theory it should work with any pulseaudio version supporting ladspa-sinks. One note regarding arch linux though: there is no build for it available from me as I never used arch before. I don't know if there's any means of using debian packages on arch though... In the end you can always use git but you said you're not that comfortable with the console, in which case I'd suggest to stick with a debian/ubuntu based distro.

No, I was thinking about adding the arch repo to raspbian and trying that. But Ubuntu server seems a more certain route, so I will do that.

I just installed your software on an old intel based laptop running Ubuntu Mate 18.04. Modules load without issue, sliding the crossover frequency of a LR4 filter from left to right gives the right sounding effect. And smooth, works beautifully in real-time.

No, I was thinking about adding the arch repo to raspbian and trying that. But Ubuntu server seems a more certain route, so I will do that.

If you're not VERY experienced don't ever try to mix versions into a distro yourself, let alone mix in a completely different packaging system (arch uses pacman instead of apt/dpkg). At the very least this will likely not work as all the pulseaudio apps are linked against a different dynamic library, in the worst case it might ruin your installation. Not to worry if you use linux mint 19 as it comes with timeshift (or was it included since mint 18? don't remember) and you can undo your changes easily by falling back to a previous snapshot of your system. Bu as you saw on a fairly recent linux distro this type of hacking around isn't even necessary :D

I just installed your software on an old intel based laptop running Ubuntu Mate 18.04. Modules load without issue, sliding the crossover frequency of a LR4 filter from left to right gives the right sounding effect. And smooth, works beautifully in real-time.

now setup kodi like desribed here: HOW-TO:Install Kodi for Linux - Official Kodi Wiki
Et voilà, you got yourself a htpc with support for doing dsp/crossovers in the background in no time. No need to use specialized distros IMHO! ;)

PAX Rack won't start

I don't know whether this can be answered here, but I will ask.

I installed Linux Mint 19 and then PAX Rack and Equaliser, and all was working well until the box rebooted and would not go into the GUI. Instead, it booted into the dreaded initramfs. I Googled for a fix and found a solution which involved fsck which fixed the not booting into the GUI problem.

I was very happy until I tried to start PAX Rack and it would not start. I checked the system log and found the .py file for both was corrupt. In sudo GUI mode, I deleted both files. Then I uninstalled it and PAX Equaliser, and re-installed both. The problem remains.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this, please?

I have not encountered corrupted ext4 for a very long time. Are you sure your hw is working properly? My 2 cents - your drive/sata cable is failing. If boot did not succeed, there are multiple files corrupted, not only the python scripts.

IMO the easiest solution will be to reinstall the mint on a functioning HW.

OK, so, I installed Ubuntu server 16.04 on the pi, along with Lubuntu desktop. It ran beautifully, might be a pretty usable low spec PC actually. But the pulseaudio crossover rack gave me the same error as Raspbian. The update manager showed an upgrade to 18.04. I thought this didn't work with debian-based distros for arm devices, but gave it a try. It broke itself. So a fresh install of 18.04 is probably better.

I really like pulseaudio crossover rack on my intel-based laptop, like the performance and lay-out, so it's worth the effort to figure it out for a raspberry pi

Yep, laptop crashed again. Will likely get a new machine for this purpose anytime soon. Sorry for the inconveniences!

No problem at all!

I ssh-ed into the pi to add the repo and install. No time to reboot and check if it works yet, family life etc. Will happen some time this weekend, I'm sure. Then I have to set up Ubuntu for the Hifiberry, which is different compared to Raspbian I think.

I had a similar setup with jack audio server and calf plugins, simply running Jack would ramp up CPU use quite a lot (not even running plugins). I have the pulseaudio-crossover-rack with the eq-plugin running on the laptop now (old single-core celeron) and it is barely a strain apparently.

I see Ubuntu Mate 18.04 for rpi is available. Despite the name, this is more like Raspbian OS with the Ubuntu Mate desktop environment. With useability tweaks. If getting Hifiberry to work with Ubuntu server is too hard, I can check what version of Pulseaudio is on Ubuntu Mate. Kodi is likely to be a later version on that too.

Ok, loads a module without errors, but no sound. Time to dig into the help page again. Ubuntu server is quite a bit faster than Raspbian, but more to set up yourself.

Edit: note these are all linux-setup and user-side issues. And I think I get sound after adding a simple line to the config.txt file.

Last edited:
Yes, open
Code:
/boot/firmware/config.txt
and add
Code:
dtparam=audio=on
, this enables sound and worked in my situation.

But now I get the error inserting the plugin module again. I see the only soundcard listed in PA Volume Control is built-in onboard mono, so I set output of PaXoverRack to mono and now the module loads. Seems PaXoverRack must be set to output with setting that match the available soundcard?

In the volume control, I see the mediaplayer streaming (volume indicator bar showing movement), I also see the stream entering PaXoverRack.Input, movement on the volume indicator bar as well. No movement on PaXoverRack.LR4HighPass (set to 1kHz, pretty audible effect for testing purposes) and no movement on PaXoverRack.Output. Also not movement on the Built-In Audio Analog Mono.

I think I have to tell it there's a HDMI sound output as well.