Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

How to deal with music-file disk corruption?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2019, 05:53 AM   #71
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

It is not a complete copy of all the blocks, only modified blocks as it tracks changes based on the snapshot duration. The more snapshots created the larger the delta between the snapshots and current view for unique blocks. If there were no modified blocks between snapshots, the additional snapshot doesn't consume any additional storage. Hence, you only get a delta of what has changed, it is not a method to backup your files, it is a method to enable backups of your our files with little to no resources.

Last edited by skunark; 22nd October 2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:48 AM   #72
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Of course it is not a method of backup. But no filesystem access (i.e. virus, user action) can damage the snapshot content, unlike e.g. the .git directory or some other incremental copies on top of the filesystem (rsnapshot etc.). Therefore it is safe to say ZFS/btrfs snapshots protect against virus- or user-induced data loss. They are used e.g. for safepoints between upgrades in linux.

You mentioned bad experience with Synology - only their latest models offer btrfs. Old dumb ext4 has no such features. While FreeNAS (ZFS) offers making snapshots periodically, automatically deleting older snapshots to release disk space. Had a virus erased/encrypted files, you would just revert to a snapshot made one hour ago. Simple and effective.
Old 31st October 2019, 12:58 AM   #73
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Advantage of an old back-up on hand...

While I've "rarely" lost critical data, I don't make frequent back-ups of the media drive. But backup(s) exist. They may be a year old, but so what? I have on a IDE drive that hasn't been re-used in a long time, owing to the old interface cable died When I have access to do so, I am going to copy this old version of my important music (in a directory KEEP) and compare it to the up-to-date live KEEP. In theory this directory only grows. In any case, I will use some file comparison utility to find out what's added and, more importantly, what mysteriously vanished!
Old 1st November 2019, 07:26 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Default Odder and curiouser...

My oldest (known) backup is from about August 2016, 5181 files, 88 GB.

I found a 2nd copy of the directory KEEP, from about a year later. Curiously, it is 4597 files and only 27 GB! So something odd happened between 2016 and 2017. It will be interesting to see what the file comparison comes up with. This will take a while.
Old 2nd November 2019, 01:26 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default Tracking down the file changes wasn’t very hard.

Using the “archive” directory (2016 or 2017) compared to current (Nov 2019), changes weren’t quite as bad as I’d worried.
The vast shrinkage from 2016 to 2017 was explained by a large collection (1000 hours+) of a radio show’s directory having moved elsewhere.

I made simple directory listings of 2017 and today and then compared using Word for added or deleted file names. As should be, there a few dozen added files in two years. Nearly all of these were song’s I’d added in past few years or correcting a filename.

Some errors were found:

“Ice Cream Man” by Van Halen is the song “Dance the Night Away” for some reason.

“Dirty Woman” is apparently a misnamed file; it is the live version of “Dirty Women” by Black Sabbath.

“D.O.A.” by Bloodrock was missing from both. This may have been a clash with the same named song by Van Halen, which was present. “When you have two identically named files, what do I do?” asks a computer. “Delete one of the files!” Of course the human makes similar mistakes J

To be sure, some song names are used by different artists, whether a cover or different entirely but for title. Mostly, these were handled ok. But I suspect tagging utils may have buggered some. As a guide, consider that my collection has songs named “Gypsy” from Suzanne Vega, as well as three distinct ones by Black Sabbath, as well as former singers Ozzie and Dio!

In a similar vein, consider Yes’s album “90125”; many hits here and therefore in my KEEP directory. Problem: Trevor Rabin, co-singer on that album, released his own album with typical dry British humor, dubbed “90124” with the same tracks, just no Jon Anderson vocals J Same song names, just another confuser for the tagging software.

In conclusion, very little was actually wrong with my files. The names at least. I have not checked tags but I have no reason to think they have been naughty. My fears of rogue software or bad hardware are mostly if not completely baseless.

And best of all, I got to use a fossil PC at the office to copy off my old files, and I dumped, er, donated the old IDE drive to our junk drawer J
Old 6th November 2019, 11:35 PM   #76
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

^^^
ZFS avoids those problems.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:35 PM   #77
grandwazoo is offline grandwazoo
diyAudio Member

I've read this thread with interest, and one recurring feature is baffling me.... why the urge to regularly back up files that don't change? I keep multiple copies of my music library - 1 mirror set at home, another at the office, and a rarely-synchronised single drive backup at each location - but I never perform full backups, I just update each copy with any changes using linux rsync and a portable drive that fits in my pocket. This I make easier by keeping my music in folders, 1 per year (I now have 11) and I only make changes to the current year's folder. So any new music goes in folder 2019, and if I want to retag an album in the 2012 folder I copy it first to 2019, update it then delete from 2012. And if I forget, it's not the end of the world is it?

How to deal with music-file disk corruption?Hide this!Advertise here!