Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

How to deal with music-file disk corruption?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2018, 10:11 PM   #61
ximikas is offline ximikas
diyAudio Member

Oops ,i just read smart data wrong ,96 was percent left for theoretical life ,not operating hours. I'm using different utility to watch smart data for my hdd's .
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2018-12-03 00-09-29.png (125.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:43 PM   #62
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

From my experience, I can confirm when a drive temperature gets higher than 60 C, it begins to have problems. Laptop hard drives or Hard drives in USB enclosures are prone to this. Cooling is critical. All my laptops use a cooling base in summer, unless You can provide a stable ambient with AC. If You have a drive which burns Your fingers after a few seconds touching, backup ASAP. It Will Fail after a short time. I had a drive which failed a few days after purchase, just by touching the PCB chips with the fingers while working.

Last edited by MAAC0; 2nd December 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 20th October 2019, 04:28 PM   #63
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Renegade software and the idiot human operator...

A late addition to this mouldering thread

In my experience, far more common is the mysterious alteration or disappearance of files. Of course, some may be blamed on human error. But software may be to blame for some. No matter how good your disk system is, if a program says to modify or delete a file ... will be done.

In my case, I've noted odd missing or altered files. For example, most recently, some Van Halen tracks were missing. "Dance the Night Away" had been renamed to "Ice Cream Man" (or some such). Metadata AND name of file!

Is Windows 10 doing evil selective file deletions?

Is JRiver Media Center screwing up?

I use various tagging programs: Mp3tag and Mp3gain are my favorites.

Some program bug somewhere? I don't have any proof of what is causing the problems, only the suspicion the exist. I'm not posting in industry web sites since I have no documentation, and we know that Microsoft would never do anything like spy on its users
Old 21st October 2019, 02:44 AM   #64
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

You always have to be careful about applications renaming and moving files and always prefer to just have one application do that. So if JRiver can modify tags, i wouldn't use the others or disable the ability for JRiver to update the tags.

Disk rot and dumb-user tricks will poison your backups and even cloud backups, so it is important to either keep the original media and back up downloads. If you don't keep the original media, then backup the initial rip.

I've also have had issues with cloud backups not restoring files. During a hard drive crash i did a dumb user trick that started to backup the drive to the drive i was restoring from. I just fat-fingered the "okay" dialog, and realized i just wiped the drive i was restoring from. Luckily i had a cloud backup to restore from and also i was doing file checksums and after the restore i noticed a files that failed the checksum. In fact those files were zero-byte sized files from the restore, i contacted the vendor (backblaze) and they said if i rebooted, updated or restarted the backup applications those files mid-flight would not get backed-up. I then asked if there was a way to confirm files were properly backed up and they promptly said "no". From my dumb user trick, i was about 3 files short that i just had to re-rip or restore from another drive, not a huge deal since I had multiple copies.

in the end, backup and replicate as much as possible now that disk space is cheap.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:28 AM   #65
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
in the end, backup and replicate as much as possible now that disk space is cheap.
Or use FreeNAS, as I have for years.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:46 AM   #66
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
i always have backups, i have the NAS (in RAID6) that is my master, and i have backups to 2 different external drives from 2 different computers in my home. One at my mediaplayer-computer does do a daily update of the music folder used by my mediaplayer, the other one daily on an older computer that is used more as server for other (IT) purposes, but only change files that are 14days old on the master. If the master goes bad and i see it too late, i still have my older backup on that that runs 2 weeks behind. This is how many big companies (where i work as IT consultant) also do their backups today.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:44 AM   #67
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Or using a NAS with filesystem supporting snapshots, such as ZFS on the above mentioned FreeNAS Schedule periodic snapshots of a ZFS volume with FreeNAS
Old 21st October 2019, 11:06 AM   #68
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I try to keep on top of my hard drives and don't keep them until they fail.
Probably a couple of years is long enough before sending them off to the bay.
As time goes by drives get better and faster anyway so its good to keep up with tech.
I also have a 128GB flash drive for backing up now and then.
Anything that would be a fatal loss is kept on DVD and flash drive in the car in case of fire etc.
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:31 AM   #69
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

Snapshot is great for dumb user tricks and my documents, code, etc all make use of that, but snapshot is normally short lived. Keep in mind snapshot only stores the delta, not a true copy of the file and any failure can be a full loss. I also use git for documents and of course code and push changes to a remote location. Neither are great for large files that mostly sit there and occasionally read.

FreeNAS and or any NAS is not a backup, and should consider yourself lucky you haven’t had any issues. My Synology NAS has been good too, but it is just a step away from a virus/hack, which has happened forcing me to disable all non-critical services a precaution.
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:25 AM   #70
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
Keep in mind snapshot only stores the delta, not a true copy of the file and any failure can be a full loss.
ZFS/btrfs snapshot is a pointer at the filesystem block tree top at the moment the snapshot was created. It is a complete state of the filesystem, no delta. As safe as the whole filesystem. If a virus/user removes/damages a file later, no problem, that change is not part of the original snapshot. If the hardware fails or something erases the whole filesystem, that is what backup is for. Especially simple and efficient to do in ZFS due to support for streaming only changes from last backup.

How to deal with music-file disk corruption?Hide this!Advertise here!