Recommended DAC (either USB or Optical Input) Under 100$?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Can you guys please recommend me a DAC that has a good sound quality, and that its price is upto 100$?

The DAC will be connected to my computer, either directly via USB,
or via an optical cable, if the DAC has Optical In..

The speakers I use are 2 Yamaha HS7 monitors.

The DAC will be used with speakers mainly, and only rarely with headphones..

Thank you

I can second Focusrite. I have used a Focusrite 2i2 at work for simple production and post-production. I tried it on my home system and found the gain to be wanting. I use a Topping D10 on my home system and have been pleased with it's performance and neutral "sound".

Thank you both.

I should note that I do not do any recordings, so all the Mic In ports will be unnecessary..

If there are any other nice options, that are upto 100$,
please write..

Currently I use a Behringer UCA202 DAC.
It's actually very good in terms of detail, clarity, and general sound,
but one problem in it is that it does some Bass emphasis..

This Bass emphasis was actually good when I used my previous speakers, which were smaller and lacked a bit in bass.
But now with the 6.5" HS7 monitors, this bass emphasis is actually interfering, and the bass feel exaggerated and unpleasant.

That's why I am switching to a different one..

Last edited:
Check this out. Don't let the price fool you. It uses the ES Sabre DAC. Sounds excellent.

https://hifimediy.com/DACs/sabre-dac-uae23
Thank you Freecrowder

This DAC is based on ESS's ES9023.
Several people and myself had a conversation about the ES9023.
I was recommended not to buy an ES9023 based DAC, since ES9023 is Voltage Output and not Current Output + the circuitry that comes after it..

Because the chip is such an "All in One", then this comes at the expense of the sound..

The ES9018K2M on the hother hand, is Current Output,
and it requires the circuitry after it..
For that reason, I was told it's better than the ES9023.

This is getting some good reviews. I have one (generic edition), but yet to connect it up

https://www.khadas.com/tone
What a great review it got.

But for some reason the reviewer said nothing about how it sounds also..

It seems that this also happens in other reviews there: all the dry info is there, but nothing about how it sounds.

You said you got it but haven't connected it yet?
If I got a new DAC, I would not be able to put it aside for long.. :)

I've been using this for a few months, hooked up to an O2 as preamp and into the ACA, so can't comment on it's role with active speakers alone, but I'm happy with it, regardless of price:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPPING-D3...F8&qid=1532965754&sr=8-2&keywords=topping+d30
The review for Topping D30 was the first review I read on AudioScienceReview, about a month or two ago.
Indeed a great review. (but there I noticed he says nothing about how it sounds)

Schiit Audio Modi 3 - US$ 99

I have both the Modi 2 (USB only) and the Modi Multibit and very happy with them.
Wow, this company is usually really expensive, since they are a US based company, that also manufactures there.
Seeing a product for 99$ is a surprise there.

OK so to sum it up:
- Khadas Tone, based on ES9038Q2M - 99$
- Schiit Modi 3, based on AK4490 - 99$
- Topping D30, based on CS4398 - 110$

Which one from there 3 should I go for? :)

I should add that the Khadas Tone has 2 small disadvantages compared to the other 2 (Schiit Modi 3 and Topping D30).
Those 2 disadvantages are:
1) The Khadas Tone only has USB In, but not Optical In, which the other 2 have
2) The Khadas Tone is bare PCB, where the other 2 are nicely enclosed in their own product case

So for these 2 reasons, and due to the practically same price,
I am a bit more inclined to the other 2.. Modi 3 and D30

Last edited:
One thing a bit disappointing in the Modi 3, is that almost all components are tiny SMD ones:

modi3.jpg

In many DACs you see big thru-hole components,
probably because of an effect on the result..

Last edited:
Interesting.
I thought Thru-Hole components are usually better for sound, because they are bigger,
there's more room to make everything needed, more room to separate what needs to be separate,
and easier to make them more accurate..

and I thought that's why in many DACs you see big thru-hole components being used..

Larger = larger area = more emitting and more receiving . What "room to make everything needed" do you mean specifically? Capacitors are a different story, they need room. But quality capacitors are made in SMD too, though the selection is smaller. Coupling and filtering capacitors make sense in TTH.

Separation is a question of proper layout.

If an SMD and TTH component have the same params, I would pick SMD, especially for a larger-series project.

OK so you say I shouldn't worry about the fact it's mostly made of tiny SMD components..

OK then,
between the 2: Modi 3 and Topping D30,
the Modi 3 has a small advantage for me, which is that it's all USB Powered.
The Topping D30 on the other hand must receive power, in addition to the USB Cable that is only used for the incoming data.

The thing is,
I see the no requirement for a separate power supply, as an advantage.
But do other people here prefer the opposite?
To have it 12v DC Powered like the Topping D30, and not just USB Powered?
(and will that really have an effect on the sound, based on people's experiment with various DACs?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.