Recommended DAC (either USB or Optical Input) Under 100$?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
USB power is more convenient, but not necessarily better, depending on where it comes from. USB power from a PC or laptop will likely be very noisy, and not very good for audio. You can get USB power injector cables, and supply your own USB power for a future upgrade.
Power quality can definitely impact sound, but it depends on the DAC and the downstream equipment how much you hear it.

But for some reason the reviewer said nothing about how it sounds also..

OK so to sum it up:
- Khadas Tone, based on ES9038Q2M - 99$
- Schiit Modi 3, based on AK4490 - 99$
- Topping D30, based on CS4398 - 110$

Which one from there 3 should I go for? :)

I should add that the Khadas Tone has 2 small disadvantages compared to the other 2 (Schiit Modi 3 and Topping D30).
Those 2 disadvantages are:
1) The Khadas Tone only has USB In, but not Optical In, which the other 2 have
2) The Khadas Tone is bare PCB, where the other 2 are nicely enclosed in their own product case

audioscience review does not usually post listening impression. The guy the does their reviews does not have good ears for it, so doesn't think it matters.

That Khadas tone board does not come in a case is likely a sign that the sound quality is better than the other two dacs. Cases cost money, and are often one of the most expensive parts of consumer electronics devices. If no case, the money can be spent on sound quality.

Do yourself a favor and get a Raspberry pi and drop one of the many available DAC units on it and for $100 or a little more you will have a complete streamer as well as DAC. Something that can compete with units costing $400 to $700. Run Volumio on the unit or other freeware and you will be amazed. You will have a DAC and also a streamer that can access your entire digital music selection or stream from digital radio, etc. It is really amazing. ALLO's $59 Boss DAC is a super tasty delicious Pi maker | Darko.Audio

The power that can be gotten from a USB connection is very limited. Not enough to power a good dac.
In most cases external power is probably associated with better sound quality.
I wonder why this is so..
The USB Standard says that you can get 0.5A from a USB port.
Why would a DAC circuit need more than that?
(assuming the DAC is only a DAC, meaning it provides Line Out, and is not also a headphone amplifier and other additions)

audioscience review does not usually post listening impression.
Yes, well noticed, and that's unfortunate.
A human impression would've been a good addition to the review.

It does. Sound pretty good, that is. ;) A Mojo does good notes and good transients, leading to music that is fine indeed. I had a Dragonfly (the last model before they split to become red and black), and it was OK, but the Mojo (at twice the price, in fairness) is a lot better. I got it to use with my headphones (Grado SR325e), but also to feed the music stored on my laptop into my main stereo. It does a good job of both, so I'm a happy bunny. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.